• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 85 M1008 restoration project

Status
Not open for further replies.

helm1008

I have an aftermarket Banks kit on mine, found a good deal on a used kit that came with a passenger side manifold which is a lot easier to use then the 6.5 manifold. With the GM 6.5 manifold, some of the guys are using 2 manifold gaskets stacked to get clearance for the injectors and some guys say they didn't need the extra room,. I kept my mechanical lift pump, drilled a hole and welded a piece of tubing to the fuel pump adapter plate for the oil return. For your manual boost controller, everyone refers to it as a "turbo master". Its just a spring installed in place of the vacuum servo, or whatever its called. There is a few DIY videos on YouTube on how to make them.
I would recommend getting that turbo on while your truck is apart, it is a big job and way easier if you have the fender off on that side.
Nice start on your truck, I totally agree what evildoer just said recommend getting that turbo on while your truck is apart, it is a big job and way easier if you have the fender off on that side. I added extra gaskets on mine and used stock injectors and ran the exhaust on the out side of frame. Have fun with your project.
hey cpappy, elvdoer. im going to have a spacer jetted out for the passenger side manifold any idea how thick it needs to be

Last edited by a moderator:

evldoer

Not speaking from experience here, just going by what others have said and done, .125 or an 1/8 of an inch will get you where you need to be. Any thicker and you might have clearance problems with the frame rail. Its pretty tight in that area. Make sure you have it cut out of copper sheet and then you won't need to use gaskets

helm1008

Not speaking from experience here, just going by what others have said and done, .125 or an 1/8 of an inch will get you where you need to be. Any thicker and you might have clearance problems with the frame rail. Its pretty tight in that area. Make sure you have it cut out of copper sheet and then you won't need to use gaskets
Just regular 1/8th sheet copper? that works with no gaskets?

evldoer

Yes it works. There is a guy in AZ I called who makes gaskets out of copper. He cuts then with a nc mill. Total charge for a pair I was quoted like 175$. The price was high because he was going to charge me a programming fee because he has never cut them before. But anyways, use copper. It is soft and it will seal just fine.

helm1008

Just regular 1/8th sheet copper? that works with no gaskets?

helm1008

Look up a mojave heater by Flex a Lite fans, Cool rig man!
Thanks its coming along gotta thank my dad for the body work, He works magic. Wow those things are sweet I'm getting one. I'm going to use the truck for hunting, and ice fishing. That heater will work perfect.

helm1008

Top of tail gate to the ground is 61 inches, I guess I didn't think six inches would make it that high lol, But I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks