• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MY Airpack Rebuild with Photos!

reloader64

I just bought a 1 gallon garden-type sprayer from Home Depot ($7), cut the hose in front of the spray wand, and bought the brass fittings required to plumb it into the vent fitting on the master cylinder cap. Fill the MC with fluid, put some in the sprayer, and give the sprayer a few pumps. It doesn't take much pressure to push brake fluid through the lines.

Scott

armyvet67

I just wanted to take time to THANK you for your information. You have been a big help to me. I don,t think my Grandson would go to sleep in my Deuce, he is way to excided and my Deuce is kind of loud but he likes that also.

Thanks again.

DeucesWild11

Just catching up on my old thread, well old to me now. Glad to have posted and give back a little from my experience. Without this great website and community that I have grown to know over the past few years I probably would have never owned a deuce. Now I can't ever see myself without one. Long live SS!!

Heavysteven

Just finished mine, had what looked like mud in the cylinder. Took 4 hours but I could do it in 30 minutes now.

Stopping power the same though. No thumping in the pedal or brake fluid out the vent. Glad I did the repair.

reloader64

I found out mine needed to be rebuilt when I stopped at an intersection, and so much smoke came from under the hood that I thought the truck was on fire. Turns out, my air pack vent was puking brake fluid directly at the turbo. It was a huge relief to push the brakes and have nothing but air come out.

Scott

tommys2patrick

just found your thread. excellent. I have been having strange problems on my breaks. if I open the air tank valves(both) and let air vent directly to atmosphere I have some hydraulic brakes. enough to stop the truck at low speed. if i close the tank valves the pedal is hard as a brick and the brakes are 100% locked solid. it was suggested to aid some air tool oil to the Vac cylinder air side. I am trying that but i think I will need to rebuild mine as well. your process and pictures willbe a great asset along the way. Thank you very much for taking the time and level of detail!!

DeucesWild11

It seems that weird brake problems are usually the Airpack. There are so many parts to it that I don't know what they all do, you just need to clean it all up as best you can and replace whatever is in the rebuild kit. Best of luck to ya!

JCKnife

Well, now I'm thinking that I must have done something wrong. When I did the rebuild, everything SEEMED straightforward and I didn't have any leftover parts, but now my brake pedal continues to get soft. Bleeding the system firms it up and then it gets soft again. And the air compressor runs a LOT more than it did before, and when the system is shut down I can hear air coming out the breather line on the firewall, which I never noticed prior.

I'll try bleeding one more time before replacing the thing. Oy.

Sapper55

JCKnife,
I know what you're goin' thru. My '70 has been sitting in my barn for 8+ years and has zero brakes. I rebuilt the air-pack in June, bled all the wheels (with a pressure tank) and new dot5. Then road tested for pedal pressure. The farther I went, the pedal went closer to the floor. I turned around in time to barely make it home and found no brake fluid in the master cylinder. Now I have to replace the MC. I just hate it that I donated all that new dot5 (almost $60.00 worth)to the roadway. I also have air coming out the slobber tube when I kill the engine. It's definitely the airpack also in my case. Sheeesh!! Good luck. Sapper55

DeucesWild11

Well, when I did the airpack I also had a soft pedal. I rebuilt the M/C and that took care of it. Not sure if that will work for you as well but I have seen/heard that if the Airpack is in bad shape then usually the M/C is too. Then just recently took off the hubs to inspect the brake cylinders and they were in terrible shape as well, not leaking a drop but very close to failure in my opinion.

Good luck you guys!

Sapper55

DeucesWild11,
When I rebuilt my airpack, I did not hone the cylinder. I guess I should have in retrospect. The MC was dry as dust also. I think I will replace with a new unit when I get the money. I got my work cut out for me. You have posted an outstanding detailed contribution to this thread, and we appreciate it so much.
Sapper55 MSG Ret USA
Army Strong!!
1970 M35A2C WO/W

wildbill88

You really have to keep up on your brakes it seems to me at least the hardest thing to keep up on I keep a spare set of wheel cylinders and I have a spare airpack when in doubt do your wheel cylinders and check your shoes for proper adjustment

Dipstick

Thanks DW! Great post! I'm sure I'll be doing this in the future. I sure do envy you guys with work benches. I do my repair/painting stuff out on my third floor apartment balcony. I must've put on a million miles this year trudging up and down the stairs to my apartment and my truck in the parking lot.

sgtrisk

How did you get the piston gasket bearing thingy (I don't have the paperwork in front of me right now) - see post #3 herein - out/off without damaging it? Mine is in the body pretty firmly. And I'm not in the mood to damage it.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got very lucky- my truck's brakes locked up in my driveway, and not while I was doing the Toys For Tots drive.

003_edit.jpg
Master Cylinder Piston
007_edit.jpg
Partially gelled fluid
008_edit.jpg
Air Piston with disintegrating cup
010_edit.jpg
Air Cylinder with cup debris
013_edit.jpg
Slave Cylinder rusty

Water poured out of the air cylinder (about three tablespoons), so I plan to install an air drier. I do drain the tanks after every run, and I live in a fairly dry climate. Also, I don't like the pitting in any of the three cylinders, so I will be installing all new next year if I can afford it.

I honed the piss out of all three, and installed a rebuild kit to get the truck on the road (I applied air tool oil to all the air cylinder parts), but as of this morning I haven't reinstalled anything. Hope it all works.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Very informative and instructional write up and pictures. Thank you, your write up is now in our workshop files. again thanks.

Last edited:

DeucesWild11

I am humbled that my write up is in a file on the other side of the pond. It was my way of trying to give back a little to this site which I have learned and continue to learn so much from. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks