• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce

BAZYRKYR

So today was one of those rare sunny days here in Washington, so I decided to go work on my deuce some. I got early this morning jumped into my car and ran to Harbor Freight for some new tools needed to make my deuce purdy. Got home snapped a few pics. I bought a needle gun which with my 8yrs experience of being in the navy submarine fleet..I know how to keep old iron from rusting. Went to town on my truck with my new little needle gun knocking rust loose all over the place. For the sheet metal just turn your compressor regulator down to 50 psi and you won't have to worry about beating the metal up. I also went to lowes today and grabbed a bunch of wood for the new troop seats I will be building this week if the weather plays nice. Also the beer can crusher I bought today is an integral part of my restoration process.8)
What up with this needle gun that helps fix/prevent rust? Can you tell me more about it...how its used and what exactly it does...and maybe show a pic or two. Thanks.

Amram

The 2 pics of the wheel in my last post pretty much sums up what a needle gun does. Those are 2 pics of the same wheel. The needler has steel rods in the end of it that pulse up and down beating rust and paint free of metal. It is a tool that keeps the US navy afloat. Just have to be careful on how high you set the air pressure.

Amram

Today was the first time my truck has been used for actual work since I have owned it. Helped a buddy move into his new house which saved him a boat load of fuel since he was going to take multiple trips in his F-150. Overall it was very satisfying to show off the power of The Deuce!:twisted:

Attachments

Amram

Time for another update. I have been so busy getting the truck ready for the Armed Forces Day Parade to post much.
The very next day after helping my buddy move my alternator died. Did it die in my driveway? Why no. It decided to kill off right before I pulled into a gas station to fuel the beast up. There is nothing like blocking off 2 pumps for over 2 hours during lunch time on a Saturday in a busy area. Even had a crazy lady ask me if I could please pull forward so she could fuel up....I said sure you push while I steer. I called a friend to come to my rescue. He was on his way to slave start me off with his deuce. 10 minutes before he got there a flatbed tow truck came by and offered to tug me out of the way for free so I could wait till Scott showed up. I asked the tow driver if he didn't mind me putting my truck in High 3rd gear and popping the clutch as soon as we started moving. He allowed that to happen and Phantom (the name I have given my truck) fired right up. The rest of the weekend was spent with my other buddy Dale removing the old alternator and putting the new one in.
I was originally heading down to Krispy Kreme then onto Brad's to pickup my Goodyear 395/85 R-20 MVT tires. Proud to say I paid $1k for 7 brand new tires. Along with the tires I picked up 6 rivet rims to put these new tires on. Rest of the time since then has been spent restoring these rims and painting them up real nice for the big ole tires stacked in my bed to be mounted. Can't wait till this weekend.

Amram

I forgot to mention the upgrades I have gotten for the truck which should be here by the end of the week.
First up is the new cab heater I ordered from this site:
Jeep Heater
Should make keeping the windshields less foggy in the cold mornings.
Next up is I ordered upgrade headlights after my driver side headlight kicked the bucket:
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product for the enclosures
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product I am using the 75/70W Heavy Duty bulbs.
To solve the harness compatibility I ordered 2 of these from amazon and splicing the wires from the old bulbs onto the ends of these adapters:
Amazon.com: 3A Racing 46-9993 Heavy Duty Headlight Socket 9003/H4: Automotive
And last but not least while on my lighting kick I have decided to add me some convoy lights:
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
I am getting the fixed pole mount type. Going to place them right behind the cab evenly on each side.

m816

If by three piece, do you mean it is canvas? w/ end cutains and a top? If so, them\n install the end curtains first by threading the rope through the gromets and around the front bow and then repeat for the rear bow but don't tie off the rear rope or you won't be able to get out of the truck.Roll the top over each bow starting from the front and even up the sides so they are even, tighten the end rope and tie off the side ropes. should take no more than a half hour. Unless you are referring to something else. then disregard my comments

Amram

Yeah I figured out how to do that, Took a while to get it somewhat right, still not perfect though. Not sure if it is a good thing or not, my top is not canvas but actually made out of really thick tarp material. It is waterproof but extremely heavy so putting it on and taking it off is a 2 man job.

wtmf

Insurance

Hello I just bought my first M35. I live in a state with mandatory insurance, Maine, and my insurance agent said that Progressive will NOT insure a military vehicle. They may insure it if it belongs to AMVETS and only use it for parades. Does anyone have an agent or knowledge of a company that will insure a M35 Deuce? Thank you

ABN173

All, Mike needs some help out at Brad's I'm headed out there too but I have two kids at the house so I need to wait until 1100 or so until I'm back down to one or none kids.

-Dale

ABN173

Hello I just bought my first M35. I live in a state with mandatory insurance, Maine, and my insurance agent said that Progressive will NOT insure a military vehicle. They may insure it if it belongs to AMVETS and only use it for parades. Does anyone have an agent or knowledge of a company that will insure a M35 Deuce? Thank you
I sent you a PM with some suggestions. Don't want to beat a dead horse but there are lots of threads on this topic, remember search feature is your friend. Congratulations on your truck and good luck finding the coverage.

-Dale

Amram

I found out yesterday My truck is actually a 1968 Kiaser-Jeep, which means somewhere along the lines paper work got messed up. I spent 19hrs yesterday mounting my 395's and inner tubes on their wheels, removing the old wheels, and mounting the new wheels. I had help with mounting the tires on the wheels, but the rest I did myself. I can barely move today. To add insult to injury less than 2 miles from my house last night I suffered a right front blowout when the brand new inner tube decided to call it quits. Tow cost me $400. Feel like crap today.:(:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks