• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My newest turd: Jeepsinker's M49A2

Jeepsinker

So what makes a fender an a2 fender?
The A2 fender is what you are used to. The gasser fenders, and even the A1 fenders I think, both leave you no room to work on the engine, because the inner portion extends so far in toward the motor, and then drops straight down. There is no slope to the inner parts. I don't have any pics of the gasser fenders. Posting some comparative pics would be way easier.

goldneagle

The A2 fender is what you are used to. The gasser fenders, and even the A1 fenders I think, both leave you no room to work on the engine, because the inner portion extends so far in toward the motor, and then drops straight down. There is no slope to the inner parts. I don't have any pics of the gasser fenders. Posting some comparative pics would be way easier.
You will have a "gasser" to photograph when you pick up the M109 at my place. It's from 1958 and was a M35 gasser originally.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

Why in the world someone would steal the vanes out of a newly rebuilt pump is beyond my comprehension.:shrugs:
So now I have to figure out where to get vanes for an antique fuel pump. Great.

Maybe somebody nicked yours to fix their own, now you just need to do the same,...
;)

Hey! There's a man that seems to know everything! Gerhard, where can I get vanes for my fuel pump?
I have seen a few U-tube vids of these trucks in abandoned lots/yards, you could just go there and get whatever parts you need I guess.

Aussie.

goldneagle

I just remembered I have a IP that i salvaged out of a donor engine. You might be able to get parts off of it. I practiced removing the HH from it. Just remind me when you get here and it's your's with the truck.

AZK9

... This is the roughest deuce I've ever brought home, but it is a rust free Arizona truck. It is a Marine Corps truck, has the fording kit and paperclip bumper, ...
Love the pics!

It looks pretty awesome to me! Being rust free is a huge plus. Have fun with the clean-up and fix-up.

About the Marine 'paperclip' bumper': I've seen a few of them around, but yours is the first one I've
noticed that has the paperclips facing downward (with the 'loops' under the bumper). Is that common?
The bumper does not seem to be flipped, since the opening for the winch cable is in the right place. Interesting.

In any case, have fun with it! [thumbzup]

AZK9

Paperclip bumper...

Following my previous post, I've discovered a few things. Seems like on Marine trucks in-transport via ship, the
bumpers were mounted with the loops all on top of the bumper. Once at their destination, winched trucks had
the bumpers removed, flipped and reinstalled to allow for proper winch operation.

I found this nice pic that Clay James had posted on a thread. It shows the paperclip loops up and the winch opening
below. Since Clay's truck (as pictured here) does not have a winch, the truck would not have had the bumper flipped.

I learn so much MV stuff on this site every day! And... that's a good thing, because it keeps my head spinning. :whistle:

Jeepsinker

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following my previous post, I've discovered a few things. Seems like on Marine trucks in-transport via ship, the
bumpers were mounted with the loops all on top of the bumper. Once at their destination, winched trucks had
the bumpers removed, flipped and reinstalled to allow for proper winch operation.
Please tell us where this information comes from?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

More pics, the winch is pretty well destroyed.
Sorry to hear that, hope it wont take too much to get it 100% again.

That, and a whole lot of body work. Most of which is going to require a torch and welding machine. There isn't one thing on the truck that isn't bent.
I like to do a little tinkering and fettling on my vehicles but I never relish having to do full blown rebuilds/restorations.
(in the interest of full disclosure I have my 1st vehicle I am having to restore after a drunk driver side swiped it 2 weeks before it was booked in for its new paint job to return it back into showroom condition)

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks