• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My newest turd: Jeepsinker's M49A2

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? All the Navy and Marine trucks that I've inspected have had a transmission pto on them, whether outfitted with a winch or not. I read somewhere that they all came with fording valves and trans pto installed, so I always check when I see one, and I've not seen any yet that didn't have one... So are you sure?
I'm never sure of anything in this hobby, but as far as 1000's of wo/w USMC deuces ALL having factory PTOs, I personally have not seen that to be the case. I hope to be corrected if I am wrong!

Jeepsinker

No Kenny, you arent. That there is a whole different story. Trail rigs should look, or will look like that anyway.
I just like my trucks to look presentable. If I had a trail rig anymore, I wouldn't care what it looked like.

rustystud

Really? All the Navy and Marine trucks that I've inspected have had a transmission pto on them, whether outfitted with a winch or not. I read somewhere that they all came with fording valves and trans pto installed, so I always check when I see one, and I've not seen any yet that didn't have one... So are you sure?
The fording valve yes, but the PTO's I don't think so. All our trucks had to be able to drive through the surf from off loading on a LCU or bigger LST .

71DeuceAK

Interesting thread! What "model" is the propane-truck Deuce? (Propane tank instead of a fuel tank) That's the first Deuce I ever saw/rode in, and thought nada of it at the time...then 3 years later I get interested in owning a Deuce!

daytonatrbo

The fording valve yes, but the PTO's I don't think so. All our trucks had to be able to drive through the surf from off loading on a LCU or bigger LST .
Reading the NSN for my USMC M109A3, it specified W/W and Deep Water Fording kit.

However, the winch and PTO were removed before being made available to the public. It still has the PTO control hatch that allows the handle to come up through.

By the lot number, its a '68 model.

DavidWymore

Clinto, my '62 has a genny on its LDS, Delco reg on the firewall. A2 fenders. Believe it was an A1 originally.

JS, cool truck. I might turn one of my extras into a semi original military looking tanker for watering the yard at the shop.

71DeuceAK

OK, so I actually did find out said truck was apparently a M109 shop van that had the box removed and a tank installed. Makes much more sense now.

As far as M49s, my first time ever driving a manual transmission was trying to roll-start a M49 with bad batteries. It was an interesting intro to a manual transmission!

I did get to ride along in another M49, which was very educational; a friend has all these aforementioned trucks and they gave me some verbal Deuce/manual transmission in general driver's ed in one. I loved it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh? This is the first time I've been on in weeks... And I just got on a few minutes ago. I am alive, just been indisposed. Trying to sort a lot of things out.
When I looked at your profile the last log-in showed earlier in the day. Your wife hasn't been messing with your account has she? Maybe posting bare aluminum pics of the Mighty Mite?