• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My newest turd: Jeepsinker's M49A2

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a cool truck: I can't remember the last time I saw a multifuel that still had the 25A generator and external voltage regulator. Of the 35-40 deuces we've had, not a single one was still generator equipped.

Other stuff:
There are M44 fenders and there are M44A1/M44A2 fenders. This is what everyone calls "gasser fenders" and "multi fenders". A1 and A2 are the same. Yes, some gassers got rebuilt into A1/A2 variants but retained their M44 fenders. We have a '53 Studebaker right now that's been updated to an A2 but still has gasser fenders.

That paperclip story about them being setup a certain way for transport and then swapped at their destination is wholly incorrect. Show me an official piece of USN/USMC paperwork that says this and I'll eat my hat. USMC trucks with paperclips facing the "wrong" way is because either Pvt. Snuffy put them on wrong or the bumper has been flipped. Never in my 20 years in the hobby have I seen anything that would validate this.

I looked everywhere for the reference, but David Doyle, who is probably the most knowledgeable person on Earth concerning the G742 series said that 15% of M44 series trucks were ordered with winches. This guy, but I can't find the post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/member.php?2535-DDoyle

I am unfamiliar with that style flasher relay. Does it have the standard cannon connector on it?

AZK9

Please tell us where this information comes from?
Hi NDT...

I phoned a friend of mine who was a Marine based in California in the late 1960's. I sent him two photos and asked
if he could explain why the 'paperclips' would have been on the bottom of the bumper on Jeepsinker's truck instead
of on the top.

The 2nd post I made was what he explained to me.

The Clay James truck is pictured here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...3&d=1434941548

Hope that helps! [thumbzup]

Jeepsinker

Clint, that flasher relay does indeed have the same kind of plug on it, the case just looks different. I have another just like it that I was going to open up and see if the inside was the same or not. This one and I have one more that both have the Cannon connector cast into the housing. That's why I never sent you one when I said I would, didn't think you could use them.

Jeepsinker

Hi NDT...

I phoned a friend of mine who was a Marine based in California in the late 1960's. I sent him two photos and asked
if he could explain why the 'paperclips' would have been on the bottom of the bumper on Jeepsinker's truck instead
of on the top.

The 2nd post I made was what he explained to me.

The Clay James truck is pictured here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...3&d=1434941548

Hope that helps! [thumbzup]
I'm no Navy/ Marine truck expert, but I've never seen one in person or in pictures that had a winch and had the paperclips pointing up.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm no Navy/ Marine truck expert, but I've never seen one in person or in pictures that had a winch and had the paperclips pointing up.
DSCF8809_edited-1.jpg

Now, in all honesty, this is a terrible example because there's no way of knowing if some civilian did this. I know I've seen upward paperclips on USMC trucks that were still in the service but I can't find the pictures right now.

AZK9

I've not seen one either. And... I'm no expert for sure. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about these MV's.
Your truck is actually the first photo of a Marine truck where I've seen them pointed down (winch, or no winch).
From what I recall my friend said: The paperclips pointed up if it was lifted up and onto a ship for transport.

... About the Marine 'paperclip' bumper': I've seen a few of them around, but yours is the first one I've noticed that has the paperclips facing downward (with the 'loops' under the bumper). Is that common?
The bumper does not seem to be flipped, since the opening for the winch cable is in the right place. Interesting. ...
I have no firsthand info, or experience with paperclip trucks. Was the primary purpose of the paperclips a
connection point for lifting the trucks onboard ship? My friend said yes... that was how they were used. He also
had personal experience when he served as a Marine. I don't know. I just thought his explaination was interesting. :shrugs:

AZK9

View attachment 598982

Now, in all honesty, this is a terrible example because there's no way of knowing if some civilian did this. I know I've seen upward paperclips on USMC trucks that were still in the service but I can't find the pictures right now.
Hi clinto...

I'm more interested than before to find out about the paperclips on Marine trucks. If I find any printed, offical info... I'll let you know.

I love the truck in your photo. Thanks for posting it! [thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Clinto, yes that is a civy mod. The marine truck I had, had a much tighter radius, much more weld "filet", and they paper clips were almost full length of the bumper(top to bottom).

AZK9

... The marine truck I had, had a much tighter radius, much more weld "filet", and they paper clips were almost full length of the bumper(top to bottom).
I located this pic of a Marine paperclip. I'm wondering if this looks more like the one you had... and Jeepsinker now has on his truck?

paperclip-on-deuce.jpg

I forget where this pic came from (I downloaded several while searching and snoozzzzzzing :oops: and lost the link), but I think it was in
an old SS thread. Wish it showed the entire bumper. At least there's a tape measure... which helps a bit.

Jeepsinker

My truck probably came without a winch, and had one added sometime shortly after delivery. I'm sure it was done in service because all the underlying layers of paint match, but we all know that marine trucks all came outfitted with the pto just for that reason. I have another good bumper to put on it, but the paperclips will also be facing down, until I cut them off and weld them on right.

Jeepsinker

Not when it is this bad. I won't drive a truck that makes me look like white trash. A few dents and dings are ok, but this thing looks like it went through a deuce demolition derby.

Jeepsinker

Really? All the Navy and Marine trucks that I've inspected have had a transmission pto on them, whether outfitted with a winch or not. I read somewhere that they all came with fording valves and trans pto installed, so I always check when I see one, and I've not seen any yet that didn't have one... So are you sure?