• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery wire………

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this on a civilian wiring diagram for a 1984 truck.

Attachments

dstang97

yep just went out to my truck, i wasn't able to see the other wires. it is Neutral safety next to backup. I had to move a lot of wires to the side in order to see it

joediveguy

yep just went out to my truck, i wasn't able to see the other wires. it is Neutral safety next to backup. I had to move a lot of wires to the side in order to see it
Are you talking about a Yellow & Purple with a white stripe or Yellow & solid Purple? I have seen Yellow & solid Purple, but not Yellow & Purple with a white stripe. The Yellow & Purple with a white stripe is the one I am looking at.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You dissapointed me with your reply, Ron.

I thought for sure, you'd post it was the wheel-chock tether...:wink:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you talking about a Yellow & Purple with a white stripe or Yellow & solid Purple? I have seen Yellow & solid Purple, but not Yellow & Purple with a white stripe. The Yellow & Purple with a white stripe is the one I am looking at.

Will your truck crank/start with the gear shift in a position other than Neutral or Park?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You dissapointed me with your reply, Ron.

I thought for sure, you'd post it was the wheel-chock tether...:wink:
I thought about that when I read post#1, but since I am a KINDER-GENTLER person today, KNOWING how some get there feelings hurt VERY easy, I decided to lean to the SAFTY comment

EDIT, If I feel the KINDER-GENTLER wareing off. I might have to come back an EDIt

Last edited:

Reverend Evil

I thought about that when I read post#1, but since I am a KINDER-GENTLER person today, KNOWING how some get there feelings hurt VERY easy, I decided to lean to the SAFTY comment

EDIT, If I feel the KINDER-GENTLER wareing off. I might have to come back an EDIt

I guess i caught you on a bad day then :grin:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so it must be the neutral safety switch. It should plug into the same switch unit as the backup lights(The TM calls for the switch shown in the pic I posted below). Look at this pic, it would go on the top left 2 terminals.(cooper colored) But my truck had a plastic cover on those 2 terminals(and I don't see the 2 wires and plug shown in your picture in the first post).

Attachments

Last edited:

joediveguy

Ok, so it must be the neutral safety switch. It should plug into the same switch unit as the backup lights(The TM calls for the switch shown in the pic I posted below). Look at this pic, it would go on the top left 2 terminals.(cooper colored) But my truck had a plastic cover on those 2 terminals(and I don't see the 2 wires and plug shown in your picture in the first post).
Hey Doghead, can you please give me the TM reference for that Neutral safety switch you have the pic for? Your pic looks nothing like the switch at the bottom of the steering column right by the firewall (back up light switch). Are you saying there should be another switch there too? A back up light switch and a Neutral safety switch?

I can find no reference to a Neutral safety switch in the TM -20. I found the back up light switch but no Neutral safety switch.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pic I posted is from a retailer and it was found searching the part number(22514861) in the -20P. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-NS41/ notice they call it a neutral saftey switch and reverse light switch!

My switch in my truck, does NOT look like that switch(exactly). Mine appears to have a white "cap" over the area where the 2 copper looking terminals are in the pic I posted).

I did not find any mention of a neutral safety switch listed in the tech manuals.

My truck, the key will not physically go to the start position, if you try to start it in any position other than P or N.

Again, I can not find that plug with those 2 wires on my truck(1986 M1008)

I do not have a civilian truck to look at to compare.

While it is a bit of a safety concern, I would live with it for now, until we get an answer(why you have that plug in a CUCV).

I am wondering if your truck(early production) used a civilian harness that may have been adapted for the CUCV line.

Does anyone else have an early(1983 build date) CUCV, and can tell us if they have that wire/plug ? And, can you start early CUCVs in any gear?

Last edited:

Reverend Evil

So nobody has seemed to ask the most important questions here . Does that wire have any voltage to it . how much 12 or 24 key on or off . Cause like i stated in my post i have a purple wire with a white stripe going to a solenoid under my dash going for pics right now.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what wire your referring to. At the under-dash starter relay, the purple with white tracer is the 12volt (with the key in the start position) wire, that triggers the start relay. The relay then closes and supplies the starter solenoid with 24 volts.

Last edited:

Reverend Evil

OK here are the pics they both (purple with white and the brown) both go to the solenoid under my dash and it was all done at Russels M/V buy them for the upgraded? solenoid i have driven the truck for almost a year with no electrical problems.

Is that not the same 2 wires he is talking about or am I outside my pay grade.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE, Read post 36 again.

Looks like the previous owner of your truck, did their own version of the DH relay mod.

Last edited:

dstang97

the last picture is from a 85 civi k10. I currently have a 10/83 m1028 and 1028. and tons of parts so if you have any other questions let me know. I wish i still have my blazer that was completely unmolested.

So doghead are you saying you can't find these wires next to the back up lights on you 08? I looked through my manuals and could not find it either. We may need Warthog to look into this.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks