• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery wire………

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics 5 and 6 is what my truck looks like.

So my truck must have a physical interlock happening while in gear(keeping the key from turning to the start position).

Dstang, can you try turning your key to start, with it in gear, and tell me if the key refuses to turn or if it does turn.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The pic I posted is from a retailer and it was found searching the part number(22514861) in the -20P. Standard Motor Products NS41 - Standard Motor Neutral and Backup Safety Switches - Overview - SummitRacing.com notice they call it a neutral saftey switch and reverse light switch!

My switch in my truck, does NOT look like that switch(exactly). Mine appears to have a white "cap" over the area where the 2 copper looking terminals are in the pic I posted).

I did not find any mention of a neutral safety switch listed in the tech manuals.

My truck, the key will not physically go to the start position, if you try to start it in any position other than P or N.

Again, I can not find that plug with those 2 wires on my truck(1986 M1008)

I do not have a civilian truck to look at to compare.

While it is a bit of a safety concern, I would live with it for now, until we get an answer(why you have that plug in a CUCV).

I am wondering if your truck(early production) used a civilian harness that may have been adapted for the CUCV line.

Does anyone else have an early(1983 build date) CUCV, and can tell us if they have that wire/plug ? And, can you start early CUCVs in any gear?

I've got an 83 1008 at home (NM) I'll look at it this Wed. and report.

dstang97

OK i guess i was right when i said earlier that the 83 might have a different wiring harness. It is in fact a neutral safety switch. I first un-pluged it and it would not start in any gear. Hooked it pack up and it worked. It has nothing to do with the backup lights because nothing was affected. One weird thing i did notice is that i can only start my truck in park. I always thought you could in neutral also.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does 2 things,neutral and backup lights. The 2 copper colored terminals(pic I posted) are for neutral, the other 2 terminals along the top of the switch, are for the back up light.

It is adjustable(position). I had to adjust mine, to get the back up lights on, when in reverse.

Last edited:

dstang97

It does 2 things,neutral and backup lights. The 2 copper colored terminals(pic I posted) are for neutral, the other 2 terminals along the top of the switch, are for the back up light.

It is adjustable(position). I had to adjust mine, to get the back up lights on, when in reverse.
I ment the yellow and purple wires. Not the switch itself.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, in post # 21, I posted a pic of a civilian wiring schematic. I didn't look it over completely but I would guess those wires interrupted the 12v starter solenoid, when in not in P or N. If(speculation) they used a civy harness, maybe they simply diverted the start position (purple with white tracer) wire, over to the under-dash relay(directly from a military only column harness). Just a guess.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing(different than civilian) that I have never looked to see why is, the fact that the signal lights work without the key on.

dstang97

I asked that question a long time ago. Someone told me its the way how they did the wiring. As you probably know civi's steering columns are a direct replacement

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I guess, if everything works with it unplugged, them leave it alone!
Could be the "in 10 sec. SELF DESTRUCT wire upon connection"
You dissapointed me with your reply, Ron.

I thought for sure, you'd post it was the wheel-chock tether...:wink:
I thought about that when I read post#1, but since I am a KINDER-GENTLER person today, KNOWING how some get there feelings hurt VERY easy, I decided to lean to the SAFTY comment

EDIT, If I feel the KINDER-GENTLER wareing off. I might have to come back an EDIt
EDIT
Well I feel the KINDER-GENTLER person that I was this morning has left the building along with ELVIS, The reason I mentioned the "in 10 sec. SELF DESTRUCT wire upon connection" is I did not want someone hurt from flying wheel chock peices, it always pays to be SAFE [thumbzup]

Last edited:

joediveguy

as requested.

Thanks for the pic’s! I am a visual person and that is just what I needed!

So, if I am looking at pic #2 & #3 correctly, there are two connections, one for the Yellow & Purple with a white stripe to plug into AND one for the two blue wires and one green wire to plug into. Holy crap it has been a long day!

I’ll pull the plug tomorrow and take a look at it. I got destracted today trying to fix the Parking break and bleed the breaks. Turns out the PO replaced the left rear cable with the wrong one that is too short and had a nipple, tee hee, which was too big so it kept breaking the connector. AANNDD, the master cylinder was gummed up with dot 3. Long story short, looks like I will probably be replacing both rear wheel cylinders and break lines!

Thank you guys for all your help and wonderful insight. I’ll keep an eye out for the flying wheel chock pieces! Cheers :beer:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you needed more coffee in the begining, now you need a drink(spirits?)!

joediveguy

Wow, you needed more coffee in the begining, now you need a drink(spirits?)!
Yes, of the “spirit” kind. Frustrating day, I hate working on something some other idiot has screwed up. At least I am not covered in rust. This truck has a real solid frame. I am used to working on old mustangs where every nut you twist is rusted up! The underside of this guy was nicely preserved by the automatic undercoating system from the trans pan! You all have a good night!

hilber

Yes, of the “spirit” kind. Frustrating day, I hate working on something some other idiot has screwed up. At least I am not covered in rust. This truck has a real solid frame. I am used to working on old mustangs where every nut you twist is rusted up! The underside of this guy was nicely preserved by the automatic undercoating system from the trans pan! You all have a good night!
That undercoating does work well.

top_prop

One other thing(different than civilian) that I have never looked to see why is, the fact that the signal lights work without the key on.
I just trouble shot a few electric things today... lost all lighting and had already bypassed the tactical lighting/black out switch... so I poured over the electrical diagrams.

I think the simple answer is by passing the power for the head lights first through through the tactical lighting/black out switch then feeding it to the turn signal fuse they only needed one simple switch to interrupt both systems, but the signals would work with the key off. Otherwise the tactical lighting/black out switch would need more poles to do the same function and would cost more and be larger.

Engineers are pressed to save pennies everywhere they can get away with it. It frustrated my dad (an experimental vehicle builder at GM) for his entire career.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks