• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce Win...

houdel

alphadeltaromeo said:
1. I need to make sure I always turn on the light switch to get brake lights (forgot once aldy today).
Leave the switch in the stop lamp position all the time, it doesn't draw any current (unless the stop lamps are on).

Yes, I think we all seem to forget to center the turn signal switch after a turn. I know I've forgotton at least once or twice!

mangus580

houdel said:
alphadeltaromeo said:
1. I need to make sure I always turn on the light switch to get brake lights (forgot once aldy today).
Leave the switch in the stop lamp position all the time, it doesn't draw any current (unless the stop lamps are on).

Yes, I think we all seem to forget to center the turn signal switch after a turn. I know I've forgotton at least once or twice!
There is a downfall to this as well. If you leave the dash lights on, they will be on in this position. I have a rule... I always drive with the headlights on.... and always with the dashlights on. This pretty much makes it hard for me to not notice they are still on when I walk away.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If ya get one of them super duper pushbutton switches, you never forget because of the novelty of it. I've had one on my tractor for a couple of years and its worked flawlessly but I'm growing tired of it and will probably go back to the 3 lever switch. Its a cool switch but looks really out of place in my old truck.

alphadeltaromeo

I've come up with a mental check list of items to check prior to driving it, so I'm trusting that I'll be consistent and avoid the simple issues. My two older sons and I drained the air tanks the other day...one had minimal water but the other tank drained water for about 45 seconds. That was rather interesting. I'll be draining every few days I believe and see what sort of water builds up...I'd think it should be ok every few days or is there a better recommendation from the crew? From what I understand I'm supposed to drain daily. I don't mind doing that actually, but do ya'll have some practical recommendations/experience that would direct otherwise?

I believe I have one wheel seal that needs replaced from the looks of it. Robert (rdixiemiller) and I will be teaming up to replace his and any on mine that need replacing as well real soon. Should go fairly well with the two of us partnering up. As a side note, Carrie and I just nipped out to Dollar General to get a few grocery items in the deuce. My shifting is becoming quite fluid...if I'm honest I'd say it was a tad bit different with the shifting pattern and that was a little awkward.

I've seen the posts on cab lights for the deuce, but has anyone put a better light system behind the gauges to improve visibility by providing better illumination? Are people using the cab lights to assist while night driving (pointing at the gauges or...)? From my limited driving around town...the deuce really seems to be relaxed on the road at 1800rpm and is quite tolerable with respect to noise (if not driving up a hill) without hearing protection. I'll be driving it to work tomorrow to see how I get along. It's a 53 mile trip one way, so this will be a good test of it's ability/reliability.

Any general points of caution or suggestions that would prove to be useful to me? All input is valued here [thumbzup]

Andy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just keep a flashlight in the cab if I need to read the instruments at night.

FreightTrain

Banned
You know there are 2 settings for the dash lights don't ya?Also,Pull the more than likely painted red lenses out of the dash and give them a good cleaning.The gauges get there light out the side of those lenses.Might have some paint or dirt on them.The lense just unscrew.I think someone makes Clear lenses for those lights too.Maybe get some Clear ones and either paint the face silver or use silver leaf and then OD over that to create a makeshift Reflector.I can see mine well,I could when I used to drive it,At night just fine.Although I will say they could use a little more Illumination but I could see them.

CanonNinja

you could rig up something like in many new cars now... amber/orange LEDs that "project" down from overhead consoles or rearview mirrors to dimly light the interior could be rigged on the steering column and face your gauges... In my BMWs and Ridgeline you dont notice the lighting at all until you look down at the center console

m38inmaine

Make sure your panel light switch is on bright and like the previous poster said clean the dash light holders and clean the outside portion of the gauges(behind the panel)that the light shines into, they are plenty bright, also make sure both bulbs are working.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LED headlamps for your skull work good in a deuce for night travel. I have one that has a red and white LED

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get one of the drain kits from saturn if your truck does not have one. It makes it alot easier. Also I have a push button light switch and love it. Going to add a winch??

alphadeltaromeo

Update...

I drove it to work this morning...1 hour and 25 mins commute (53 miles). Drove like a champ and it was soooo refreshing. Got to work, pulled in the parking lot and security met me :lol: alas...the price ya have to pay driving a deuce to work hehe. The security officer was an older gentleman that drove deuces many moons ago...we sat and talked about it for 5 or so mins. He shook my hand and went on his way.

I averaged 2300rpm I'd say and the temp averaged 170...only up long (not steep) grades did it hit 175 degrees. Attached are a few pics in the overflow parking lot. You can see my blue lunch box in one of them hehe

Andy

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Update...

Looks like your lunch box would be a perfect fit in the gerry can holder on the driver's side rofl

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Update...

Are those trees in bloom? :shock: Wow, we may get snow today again, and the ground is still a foot deep with snow here. It's great to see that you drove it to work today, but I bet you don't get much work accomplished today because you'll be talking to everyone about it or just daydreaming about the ride home this afternoon! Enjoy!!! :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks