• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M-1083 owner. So, here we go!!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe MULANNEY can remember when i found my towbar feet on ebay for i think it was 50 for the pair shipped last fall they were new oshkosh feet for the MTVR which turned out to be the ticket cause the holes on the truck end were 1.5 in instead of 1in you go to TSC and get the ready to drop in bushings so you can use your towbar on anything military truck ! It opens more chances to use far as more trucks can pull you or vice versa !261E8AF8-F485-41D4-A02B-440DB73FBE93.jpeg7D9B171D-9D71-42B4-89DD-C6DAAC92B7ED.jpeg

RRaulston

Maybe MULANNEY can remember when i found my towbar feet on ebay for i think it was 50 for the pair shipped last fall they were new oshkosh feet for the MTVR which turned out to be the ticket cause the holes on the truck end were 1.5 in instead of 1in you go to TSC and get the ready to drop in bushings so you can use your towbar on anything military truck ! It opens more chances to use far as more trucks can pull you or vice versa !View attachment 889986View attachment 889987
I think I have the correct feet. They are stamped 5-ton and appear to fit the hole under the clevice hole. I will physically attach them this weekend for sure...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have the correct feet. They are stamped 5-ton and appear to fit the hole under the clevice hole. I will physically attach them this weekend for sure...
Oh yea youve got everything in that kit you need ! i was throwing it out there to everyone still looking to buy a set of feet for their truck/bars that if you get the 1.5 in hole oshkosh MTVR set you can just buy a set of bushings to sise down to 1 in or 3/4 in pin sise trucks and put my bars on a MTVR to tow me or me tow them ! Just carry one set of feet to do the job of 3 different sets

RRaulston

Well the airbags worked just fine. I cant compare them to anything as mine were blown from day 1. I do have a question though. On an MTV, there are 2 air solenoids under the passenger dash. One for the fan and one to lock the center diff? If the center diff isn't locked, is the rear axle just rolling along or is it always engaged? Can someone explain how it functions? Thanks.

coachgeo

Well the airbags worked just fine. I cant compare them to anything as mine were blown from day 1. I do have a question though. On an MTV, there are 2 air solenoids under the passenger dash. One for the fan and one to lock the center diff? If the center diff isn't locked, is the rear axle just rolling along or is it always engaged? Can someone explain how it functions? Thanks.
Both rear axles are active all the time.... does not matter if locked or unlocked. How they act is controlled by the locker.

the locker is not in one of the axle diffs. it is inside the between axles diff. (inside the Power Divider Box- the big chunk tied to middle alxe) That diff allows for "different" speeds/slip between front and rear axle the same way a typical diff allows for different speed/slip between its L&R wheels. Example with locker disengaged..... one of the rear axles with the most slip..... will get the power. With air locker engaged the two rear axles then turn the same speed no matter if one is slipping or not. Each axle's diff remains normal in how it allows for speed/slip of L&R tires.

Last edited:

Ronmar

Yep, because if you get into a situation where you lift one of those 4 rear wheels or float an axle(small ditch or rise), all the torque will escape there and the other axle will loose all its applied torque. Locking that balancing diff keeps torque moving equally to both axles…

it is the same as the center locking diff in the transfer case on a 4X. In AWD all the torque can escape thru one of the 4 wheels that slips. Locking the center diff into 4WD forces torque to both front and rear axles equally.

Last edited:

RRaulston

RONMAR, If I wanted to activate the engine fan, would I run a hot jumper to the solenoid? I drove the truck to work yesterday and on the return trip, my fan activated for the first time. The noise was horrendous. Maybe its normal, maybe something isn't balanced right. I do have the new style fan hub on my 3116. I want to lock up the fan and high idle the engine and take a visual. Thanks

Ronmar

The fan is activated by removing 28V. The 205F thermal sw in the upper rad pipe on an AO opens the circuit when if reaches that temp. Easiest way to turn it on is to pull the CB for the circuit. want to say it is CB22, but need to confirm that... you can also remove the passenger kickpanel and simply unplug the fan solenoid connector...

Last edited:

Ronmar

Yep, CB22 is the easiest way on an A0 To de-energize the fan solenoid and engage the fan. If this is an A1, the ECU provides the power, so the easiest way to manually engage the fan is under the passenger dash and un-plugging the fan solenoid… The solenoid when energized provides air to the clutch to release/freewheel the fan. When you de-energize the solenoid it removes the air which engages the fan…

RRaulston

Yep, CB22 is the easiest way on an A0 To de-energize the fan solenoid and engage the fan. If this is an A1, the ECU provides the power, so the easiest way to manually engage the fan is under the passenger dash and un-plugging the fan solenoid… The solenoid when energized provides air to the clutch to release/freewheel the fan. When you de-energize the solenoid it removes the air which engages the fan…
got it, thanks. Gonna do it this weekend...

RRaulston

Well, I removed the lower battery tray insert so I could fit the group 31 batteries. I replaced it with a piece of 3/4 plywood. They dont fit. The lid hits the top posts. Just great... I cant take them back due to it being a special order. Something told me to just buy replacement wet 6tls... They can just ride/bounce around on the air tanks.... :rant:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, I removed the lower battery tray insert so I could fit the group 31 batteries. I replaced it with a piece of 3/4 plywood. They dont fit. The lid hits the top posts. Just great... I cant take them back due to it being a special order. Something told me to just buy replacement wet 6tls... They can just ride/bounce around on the air tanks.... :rant:
According to a chart that I found, Group31's measure 13 x 6.8 x 9.44 inches with the 9.44 being tall.
Is there some sort of "filler" in your battery box?

I have Group 31's in one of my M108x's with room to spare. The tops of the battery post are just a little above the top of the bottom half of the box, but there is enough room in mine to have a party almost. The top half of my battery box is about 4 inches thick. Wonder if you got a "mix and match" top that somebody dropped on yours?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks