• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now lets see your truck in the snow

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is this SNOW stuff you all speak of? This was TJ driving yesterday in the CHILLY Christmas parade in Safety Harbor, FL...64 degrees!
Your weather sounds like ours. Wore our Christmas decorated T-shirts all over town today. It's now 8:05pm, the sun set a couple of hours ago and it's still 54F.
A white Christmas here is doubtful.

jollyroger

Glad you all enjoyed the Mt. Evans pictures. There's much more here Rocky Mountain Moggers - Home page

under the "trip reports" section. Just look for Mt Evans trips.

Yeah, it's tough shoveling ice and snow at up to 14k ft. Worst part is the stuff is hard enough you have to break it, then shovel it. We used picks and axes on some of it LOL. That stretch took about 3 hours to 'railroad track' (I like that description, and it certainly is required to keep the trucks on the mountain). The sloping ice is the reason that snow machines can't be used. It's thousands of feet to the bottom in most places.

The mid-Nov trip failed. Just too much snow. I don't participate since moving out of CO.

BTW Jollyroger, I lived in Littleton, cough cough Centennial, on Grant St.

Bob
I hear you about the cough, cough Centennial. One of the largest city incorporations in history that no one knows about. Too bad you don't live here anymore but you gotta do what you gotta do. It is amazing how hard the snow can get up high. But when you break through the crust it gets soft underneath. We have been breaking trails open in the spring for as long as I can remember. We learned that train tracking technique from our dad's. Kinda spooky looking a thousand feet down and you are right on the edge of the trail that is drifted over and pushing you to the edge.

WHEN we get some more snow here I will post some pics.

bhadden

Nine foot Western Heavyweight. Truck is still 24 volts so I tap off 12 volts between batteries to run the plow. Been running about 11 years. I leave on most of the mount over the summer so I lose front clearance but I'm not stump jumping with it.....

Attachments

1stDeuce

Nine foot Western Heavyweight. Truck is still 24 volts so I tap off 12 volts between batteries to run the plow. Been running about 11 years. I leave on most of the mount over the summer so I lose front clearance but I'm not stump jumping with it.....

So, you've been plowing with this setup for 11 years, drawing significant amounts of 12V off the first battery?? Do you rotate them often, or put that battery on the charger often?? Everyone seems to think that'll lead to undercharging the batt with the draw. If you're not having issues, I'm never going to fix my 12V tap for trailer lights. :)

Nice setup, by the way...
Chris

bhadden

I have three batteries, and tap the plow off two in parallel, and rotate batteries every year (at least that's the plan). I think I've been on this set of batteries for six or seven years. Also have a 24V Solargizer across the bank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks