• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2016 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 19-23, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Allow me to also add, do you have the means to complete commitments with other members? If things have changed and you can't, please be courteous and let them know.

Lodging? Check
Food? Check
Spending cabbage? Check
Serviced vehicle? Oh crud, my truck has no oil pressure.

Need to get to work.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lodging? Nope
Food? Nope
Spending cabbage? Nope
Serviced vehicle? Nope

Guess my planning sucks this year.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am packing up the trailer now to be ready for this years thrills. Is there a trade thread about this years goodies we have and want?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Lodging reserved...cabin and camper spot....check
Food...basic load planned....check
Spending cabbage? Never enough...Maybe MB will help a po' feller out?
Serviced vehicle? Still trying to decide what to bring.:whistle:

The REAL objective is to get away from the daily routine and spend some time with some super Americans. I don't get a chance to "Let my hair(?) down" often, so when I do it's a real treat for me and my family/crew.:beer:

BTW...I haven't heard from anyone about my request for doors/frames and side curtains for my M151A2.....Anyone??? Ferris????:papabear:

Last edited by a moderator:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll catch you guys next year, things ain't workin' out.
What if an asteroid hits the rally and kills everyone, leaving this year as the last ever Ga. Rally? Don't you want to be a part of the last one?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW...I haven't heard from anyone about my request for doors/frames and side curtains for my M151A2.....Anyone??? Ferris????:papabear: [/B]

That does it. Can't get side curtains or doors for an M151A2. You are hereby notified to scuttle said vehicle somewhere near the registation tent. Please be certain that the tank is full of ethanol free fuel for disposal purposes

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I talked to the insurance agent and he says we're covered for asteroids and meteors. He did say that was an unusual question he typically doesn't receive.

Ok, read this everybody:

Alright folks, we're less than a month out from D-day. So here's some friendly reminders:

Bring your friends. If you know someone who thinks they want to join the historic military vehicle hobby, invite them. Feel free to share this thread or the rally facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaMilitaryVehicleRally/) with your friends.

Be prepared: Some years, we've had very high temperatures (2 years ago, it was 88° on Saturday) and in 2008, it got down into the thirties at night, so bring some comfortable summer clothing, but throw a hat, field jacket, etc., in your truck as well. Shoes comfortable for a lot of walking. Sunblock and bug spray are probably not a bad idea.

Cell reception is improving in the remote and rural area we're operating in, but it's still not super reliable. We've found text messaging to be an effective means of communication. When your phone gets enough signal, it'll send the text and when the recipient has enough signal, it'll receive the message.

When you arrive, go to either Durhamtown's lodge and take care of your cabin/rv first and then come to the rally registration tent. This is the first thing you should do.

Remember, if you want to take part in the hardball convoy on Saturday, you'll need to let the registration tent officers know when you arrive and sign in and we'll need a copy of your vehicle's current insurance policy. Our insurance company requires this, it's a pain in our you-know-where, but it's just how they roll.

Please be considerate of campers-you might be having a grand time watching "A Bridge Too Far" with the volume set to 11 while an early riser is trying to sleep.
Make sure your truck is serviced and reliable.

Swap meet vendors, once you arrive, the registration tent will direct you to the swap meet manager who will show you where to set up.
Remember, Durhamtown charges attendees a spectator fee and if you're going to ride or drive the trails, they'll charge you a offroad park fee. Make sure you have an armband.

We will be selling t-shirts at the registration tent, this is how we pay for all the costs associated with the rally. We have to have an attorney, an accountant, an insurance policy and then there's all the infrastructure. We own tents for people to eat in, tables, chairs, hand washing stations, a public address system, etc. We do not want to charge attendees for anything, since Durhamtown's fees have risen in the years since we started doing this, so selling shirts is a way for us not to have to charge attendees an entry fee.

We'll see you in a month-can't wait!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add to Clinto's cell phone warno. In years past it was not uncommon for folks to have dead cell phones by noon. As the phone searches for signals, it sucks battery life. Airplane mode helps if you need your battery to last. Plan on some type of external battery or charging system.

Also, as I preach often, close your deals. If your situation has changed and you can't close the deal, have the courtesy to notify the seller

AMGeneral

I may have to sit this one out as well,unless I need to deliver a trailer or truck to the Rally,trying to get an outside business venture off the ground,which is taking all of my excess spending cabbage right now.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Let me add to Clinto's cell phone warno. In years past it was not uncommon for folks to have dead cell phones by noon. As the phone searches for signals, it sucks battery life. Airplane mode helps if you need your battery to last. Plan on some type of external battery or charging system.

Also, as I preach often, close your deals. If your situation has changed and you can't close the deal, have the courtesy to notify the seller
For the last few years we have offered folks charging capability at the Georgia Mafia Headquarters camper. We even have a pretty extensive line of chargers available but of course it best if you have your own.

Just throwing it out there in case anyone needs it.:papabear:

sandcobra164

CAMO, Leesburg Detachment will be staying just across from the lodge at Kaye's Keep. Plenty of food and fellowship but roughly 1/4 mile from the main field. We won't have phone chargers available unless you have one to plug into the wall. In case anyone asks, yes, I did make a detachment from PB's CAMO group with permission. We are geographicaly dispersed but we all have the same end goal. Prosper all for Good Troops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks