• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2017 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 18-22, 2017

michigandon

Well boys and girls, I can see that the W400 is not going to be anywhere even close to ready when the time comes, so I am going to bow out gracefully right now.

I WILL be at the Denton Farmpark this Spring, and so will the W400...even if I have to push it there myself.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well boys and girls, I can see that the W400 is not going to be anywhere even close to ready when the time comes, so I am going to bow out gracefully right now.
I always thought the Rally was about the people and not the vehicles :) Come down anyway

poppop

Amy, if I can make it you will have all the grits and boiled peanuts you can eat. We'll just have to see how my work with the other truck is going. Late October is when the cotton hauling really gets cranked up. Thanks Papabear and Zout for the special invite.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Amy, if I can make it you will have all the grits and boiled peanuts you can eat. We'll just have to see how my work with the other truck is going. Late October is when the cotton hauling really gets cranked up. Thanks Papabear and Zout for the special invite.
Poppop, that m1061 that you picked up from ft. jackson for the guy in memphis, is there anyway you could drag it to the rally? If not i could probably pick it up from your place sooner than the rally.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I always thought the Rally was about the people and not the vehicles :) Come down anyway
Well there are those special people like you steve. Dont worry i have your helmet so we all know who you are.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alright everyone, we're a month out now. The rally officially begins on the 18th of October so a month from now, many of you will be on the road, headings towards Durhamtown Plantation.

I want to take this opportunity to issue a few pieces of advice, reminders, etc.:

A. Make sure your vehicle is serviced and safe. I hate the idea of someone being trapped on the side of the road, hundreds of miles from him with something like a seized wheel bearing. Many of our historic military vehicles are old and it's never a bad idea to ensure everything is greased, lubricated, tight, etc.

B. Make sure you have at least some spending cash for the swap meet. Whatever you can spare. I've found great deals at the swap meet: 400A electrical switches for $15, etc.

C. Make sure you have your sleeping arrangements in order. If you're camping in a tent or your truck, you'll just need to pay D-town the primitive camping fee. If you want a cabin or an RV, you better call 'em now, because if they're not sold out, they're close.

D. REMEMBER YOUR INSURANCE CARD FOR YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU WANT TO GO ON THE HARDBALL CONVOY!!!!!! Our insurance company requires this. Sorry for the hassle.

E. Be prepared for weather. Some years, it's been cold. Some it's been hot. Last year, it was windy as heck. So bring the appropriate gear: sunblock, hat, field jacket, something beefy to tie down your tent, etc.

I think that's the basics. We always need help running the MKT and cleaning up. We can always use a little help running errands, getting folks registered, etc. If you wanna' help, let us know, we can use you!Finally, I want to thank Memphis Equipment for their sponsorship of the 2017 event. They're a great partner and sponsorships like this help pay for all the costs the rally has, like an attorney, insurance, infrastructure, etc. The rally only charges people for food and t-shirts, all the other fees you encounter are from Durhamtown for use of their facilities. Having a sponsor like Memphis allows the rally to hold costs down, so families don't have to spend so much to attend.

I WILL be at the Denton Farmpark this Spring, and so will the W400...even if I have to push it there myself.
Swiss has the correct answer here, Don. :)

poppop

Simp5782, If I make the Rally I can bring depending on what else I have to bring, like towbaring the deuce to play with. It can be picked up here anytime before or after the Rally, its not in my way. Did I get the right trailer, it came from Fort Stewart, not Fort Jackson.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp5782, If I make the Rally I can bring depending on what else I have to bring, like towbaring the deuce to play with. It can be picked up here anytime before or after the Rally, its not in my way. Did I get the right trailer, it came from Fort Stewart, not Fort Jackson.
Yea ft stewart sorry. One of those bases way off in that area. I dont get in SC or that side of georgia much. If you could fit the 1061 in the bed of the deuce we could have Robert lift it out with the crane.

michigandon

Nothing personal fellas (far from it!), but I just feels as though my time (and finances!) would be better utilized getting this truck whipped into shape at this time. October is usually a month in which a LOT of deferred maintenance gets caught up on at the michigandon compound anyway.

Next year or BUST!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well does anybody KNOW if my camping condo (tee-pee) is still standing or has the dead oak or fire taken it out, in worse case, plan B will be implemented.

THANKS

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would you guys think about a dump truck load of fire wood delivered. I have a call made to a company that is getting me a price. This would be not split and what ever the length. The only problem I see is people don't seem to gather around one place but have there own little parties going on. Well maybe not if Gimpyrobb starts it.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not so sure about making it this year, killing myself to get these SEMA show builds done. I will have three 2017 Jeep 6x6's at the SEMA show and now I get a call from Hennessey Ford and they must be at the SEMA show with their new Raptor 6x6 pickup.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I won't make it till the 18th, probably convoy in with SCSG.

Need to figure out whats wrong with the brakes on Bella. Rebuilt the airpack and put on a new MC, still acting up. Got a couple weeks to figure it out.

It is almost time!

James, my dump truck will be driven in on Wed. If I start now I can have it filled with firewood. No need to go to all that trouble on your end.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks