• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2017 Ga. Military Vehicle Rally info thread. Oct. 18-22, 2017

LanceRobson

Hey guys I have a small favor to ask of you. I have a couple American flags that have gotten to the point that need to be laid to rest if you will. I know the proper way is to burn them but I do not know exactly how it is supposed to be done so if someone would mind taking a few minutes to help me with this when I get down there I would really appreciate it because I don't want to do it the wrong way.
Thank you
There is no specified way to burn a flag and anything more than just burning it is a matter of choice as long as it is done with respect. Quoted from the US Flag Code “the flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.”

Note that burning is not the only option it is just the most commonly practiced. From my experience and feelings a ragged flag flying on a Navy ship or over a ring of fighting positions on a dusty remote hilltop is a lot more dignified than a spanking new flag on my flagpole.......

Lance

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok well for those who are coming in and are regulars I am sure you have your usual stops along the way. After my last trip though I noticed that fuel is starting to level off in places. As far as prices go we know they are high in Georgia.

As far as last chance before getting into Georgia. The speedways along I65/40/75 have been the cheapest in TN. Once you get down near Chattanooga the cheapest fuel is on Breinard Rd. on i75 before the 24 junction. There are a few stations there big enough for trucks.

South Carolina on I85 will be the Mapco at Exit 32. I fill up there whenever I am thru there. Seems to be the lowest price as any in the state. As far as I20 goes well, Since Pilot bought out Hess the prices are up there. I paid 2.55 @ Pilot last week at Exit 11 just outside of Augusta. Before that the cheapest I saw was the Walmart near Mike just outside of Columbia.

In Alabama there is a Shell at Exit 199 on I20 that I regularly fill up at. Was 2.53 last week. WRECKERMAN that is Exit 199 not exit 201! On I85 in Bama there is an older truck stop at the US80 Exit for Tuskeegee that is way cheaper than the Loves near by in Shorter, AL. If you need help there is an old Army mechanic that works at the repair shop at that Loves. I65 in Saraland, AL has a Walmart on the south side of the interstate. It is fairly cheap there as well.

I will be coming in from Cookeville down to I75 and to the rally that way if you should have issues please let us know and we can get ya there.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really happy to see this. I have two that need to be laid to rest as well. When I was younger and in scouts we did this quite frequently helping businesses replace theirs and retired the old one. We did the burning method with a ceremony. You stretch the flag and cut the long way, not cutting the blue stars area then take them and lay them on top of each other and cut in half the short way. This helps the flag burn better as well as separates the stars from the stripes. . Once you cut it, the flag is no longer a "flag". As for the ceremony we talked about where the flag was flown and the background. Once the flag is in ashes, you put out the fire and bury the ashes.

Yes, The BSA is one of the organizations allowed to Retire US Flags ( Burn is not the correct term). Depending on flag size, We typically cut all the stripes away length wise, retire them individually if a large garrison flag, remove one star from the blue field, fold the blue field square. Ashes need to be buried. Grommets are usually salvaged from the ashes & kept and given as momentous especially to those that served. I have a script that is very elegant for such an occasion. Please pm if you want a copy. Not sure I will make it.

We typically retire 100's of flags at my camp in a given year. There are other variations of retiring flags respectfully and sometimes done folded properly is also acceptable.

Yours in Scouting!

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

Not sure yet if I will be bringing a truck or civilian vehicle. My parents will be visiting during this time period and my dad is looking forward to going. He's retired AF in his early 80s. I'm just kind of reluctant to make the 3 hour drive down in a vehicle without A/C. If I am unable to bring a truck would anyone mind letting him ride along in the convoy or maybe an easy trail for a bit? We will drive down Sat morning and back home that evening.

Last edited:

Welder1

He is welcome to ride with me on the Sat convoy. I will be in a tan deuce also Sandcobra will be in a 5 ton we will be lined up together. Just ask most folks will welcome a rider.

Eddie Cannon

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just about ready to go. My M35A3 is pressure washed and all fluids checked. I'll be bringing a trailer, but not sure which one yet. Probably either my M149A2 water buffalo or my XM1061E1. I'll be leaving Wednesday afternoon and departing Durhamtown on Saturday afternoon.

DanM7890

I need a seat for the convoy on Sat. For motivation I do have a loud wireless speaker if you want that in your truck and I can play Fortunate son or Paint it black as we roll out.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have loaded the M37 in the bed of the M814, and loaded just about the entire contents of my garage also. Still have room in bed for more stuff. Will load food, tools and clothes in the hooch tomorrow.

Getting close.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks, after a long absence from the rally and the site both, it looks as if things have been finalized. Vacation approved, actually have free time to get away...I'm gonna make it to the rally this year as well. Not for nearly as long as I would like, but as least I'll be there. Should show up sometime midday Friday with the wife and little one in tow, as well as the UTV I picked up from Stonepicker the last time I was there.

Looking forward to it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be there sans anything to take on the trails. The pintle hitch trailer I have been borrowing for years needs tires and I can't put tires on a trailer I don't own and use one week out of the year.

No Gimp and I won't be wheeling on the trails... some people are really going to have to step up!

Unless someone has a trailer I can borrow within a decent distance of Columbia...

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay.
M814 loaded, hooch loaded, fuel tank full, all fluids checked. Guys, I am rolling west towards Durhamtown............. SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks