• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This group is really fantastic, the parts exchange and information shared has been the best I have ever experienced. I just wish we were not so far apart, a goat rally sure would be fun.
Well we've got a whole year to plan for the 2016 GA Rally. That'd be about in the middle for everyone except WSUCougarex. He'd have to fly his in :)

m38inmaine

Not a lot to report here on the goat front. Received a set of head gaskets to replace the rusted ones in the gasket kit. A small price to pay for a military kit though as it includes all the special aluminum block parts. Thanks to Tom for finding the kits at RR.
Have got one of the cylinder sleeves Mark sent cleaned up and ready to go. Making preps on the snow plow and such have slowed goat activities, hope to get back on track in January.

Merry Christmas to my best gama goat buddies Mark and Tom.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Well, here it is primed ready for paint. I used a spot weld bit and removed the guard, it was pretty much flat and needed to be straightened out and re shaped. The base was bent as well and without the guard on much easier to fix. I sand blasted it an then re welded the guard back on and primed it. If you didn't know you could not tell it has ever been worked on, looking forward to seeing it on the waffle express.
I can't thank Mark and Tom enough for all the help they have given me and am happy to return the favor however I can.

Attachments

combat32

Looks like a million bucks, if you got time to drop it off at Mark's casa there is a good burger joint by his house!:mrgreen:

Heck I don't think mine looks that good, jealous now.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks FREAKIN' AWESOME!

Yeah burgers on me if you make it down but I'm guessing a flat rate box would be cheaper.

m38inmaine

Got Mark's sleeves/pistons installed, the holes look much better filled. May regret not using new rings but they were low millage so I took a chance, did install new rod bearings and new cylinder o rings. Thought I would also post up a picture of the dual oil pick up, kind of unique. I have the pan painted and ready to go as well as the starter, more later.

Attachments

m38inmaine

I am sorry you have to part with it, you put a lot of work into it and have met a lot of challenges along the way. I'm proud to have at least a couple of parts hanging on it. I wish you luck with your medical treatments and wish you the best. I hope you will stay tuned in for the build, your experience is always welcome. It was your build thread that fired me up to get a M561.

m38inmaine

Oil pan back on today with the high speed drain valve. Starter looked a little grungy so I figured while the engine was out I would pull it and paint/test it. Well I'm glad I did, all she would do is fire the bendix out but no spin. So I shorted the starter housing stud and solenoid stud with a screwdriver and she spun like a champ. Pulled the solenoid apart and found fried/burnt contacts. Ordered up a new one, waiting for it to arrive. I have learned early on with this goat that never assume anything is working as nothing I have worked on so far has been 100%.

I ordered a spin on oil filter adaptor today so I also removed the old cartridge canister in prep for it's arrival. Also ordered the secondary fuel filter spin on adaptor as I found a good deal on one on line. Looks like my local NAPA has the best price on the primary fuel adaptor so I will order it from them. When I confirm these spin on adaptors are correct I will post the part numbers.

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin good.

Are you going to add a coolant filter in parallel?

I see everyone doing it to the trucks, but never on the goats?

Just wondering.

Do you have a personnel heater in the cab? The heater lines are what it usually goes in parallel with.

combat32

I feel your pain on finding broke stuff! I think I am over the hump on the engine though, don't think there is anything else broke.
So hope to have mine back together and running by next month.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter looked a little grungy so I figured while the engine was out I would pull it and paint/test it. Well I'm glad I did, all she would do is fire the bendix out but no spin. So I shorted the starter housing stud and solenoid stud with a screwdriver and she spun like a champ. Pulled the solenoid apart and found fried/burnt contacts. Ordered up a new one, waiting for it to arrive. I have learned early on with this goat that never assume anything is working as nothing I have worked on so far has been 100%.
If I'd known I could have pulled the one off my extra starter and sent it to you. As long as mine isn't sold any spare stuff is fair game for you guys to snag. Of course sending the whole starter would probably be cost prohibitive but I could have pulled the solenoid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks