• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jerhico's and my goat at the recent Weare, NH rally. It was nice to be able to drive and see another goat to compare notes. Both machines were busy transporting people at the rally, trail riding and convoying.
Was great to see Mark and Jericho again. Both goats sounded great and it was a pleasure to ride with Mark in the cab of the goat on the Saturday morning trail ride. See you all at the next one.

CMPPhil

Hi

Great to have two Goats at Weare, the looks on the faces of the people (general public) who got to ride down from the parking lot to the field.

Thanks for coming.

Cheers Phil

Jericho

love Marks goat, from the GRAVE to restored. NICE future plans, hum perhaps my 400 chevy small block Goat next year. been on the prowl fpr a Fv 435. or a saladin ! MET JOE GAMMA AS WELL UP FROM THE SOUTH. All stand up guys, Mark is a wealth of knowledge ! has helped me unload and load every year ! thanks Mark and Son

m38inmaine

Just saw a used rear canopy sell on ebay for $810.00 + shipping which would have been $50 for me. I guess some lucky goat owner has deeper pockets than I do.

Jericho

rear curtain just sold for $102.00 USED! is navy buying up the stock ! M38 just got me one brand new for 20 bucks !!! should be called super expensive bay !

Jericho

yes , there is the raised reinforcement rib. That is a drivers side and the OUT SIDE view. the inside has a almost flat surface , just slice and dice, tig it back on other side, I will be surprised if you even have to realign the mounting tray holes, but if you do tig em up and redrill ,Its something I would do if I couldn't find a real LEFT and only had two RIGHTS . Time to dig the tig out HOPE IT HELPS, raining here broke the rental back hoe , Not my fault or issue , they can come fix it, but sure put me behind ! still have 5 hours time left on it, Took three days with rain to put 3 hours on it , as usual ALLL THE LIGHTS ARE MISSING, no night work

m38inmaine

So today was the day to start prep work for the winch install. The most dreaded part is drilling the 2" hole through the front hull, so I figure go for that first. Inside the hull is a 3" flange welded to the front hull, this is where the winch shaft enters the hull and also where the seal attaches. To get the most accurate hole I decided to find the center of the flange and drill from the inside. I used a 3" hole saw as a center punch of sorts, I extended the center drill just enough to reach the hull, then when the saw was matched up to the flange I tapped on the shaft and I had a center mark. I used a pilot drill first then I switched to the 2" hole saw, bingo a dead nutz centered 2" hole. While I am waiting for the multiple shipments of parts to arrive I am going to mount the pto next.

Attachments

Jericho

if you have the lever as well as the PTO ,now is the time to cut the hole in the dog house fibre glass. Locating the hole for that is the trick , I figured the location with the lever in mid range, popped a starter hole big enough to get the lever to protrude thru with the doghouse installed then used a jig saw and rotary cutter ( die grinder) to finish it up a slice at a time until I had full travel both ways I am confident you can do it spot on first try, (preaching to the choir)

wsucougarx

I don't recall but I think it was easier to put the shaft in before the PTO. I'll have to check my thread to verify.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

m38inmaine

Installed the pto today, was not too bad of a job. I filled the pto with gear oil last night and drained it out today, thought it would be a good idea to pre lube it. I did not have a gasket so I made one from the back cover of a M151 hand receipt manual, got to keep it GI. I also needed a shear pin, Granger had the correct 260 half hard alloy 3/16 brass round stock, comes in 1' length, cut a piece to 2 3/4 and installed the shaft on the pto. I was able to snake the whole thing assembled up through the air box and into place. All the original hardware was re used and fit fine, had to remove the clear tubing for the oil line to gain access for the wrench.

Thanks goes out to Frenchman who came up with the LH lower mounting bracket for me, it arrived today and I am very pleased. Seems to be a lot of RH brackets around but no lefts. I am on hold until more parts arrive.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks