• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oregon M35A2

moriboy

Hello all, I am a new owner (thanks wsucougarx!) of a 1986 A2. I did a lot of searching and I finally found the one I wanted. The previous owner is one heck of a nice guy, and I got to spend a very pleasant morning with him and his family.

So the truck and I had to make the 300+ mile trek to my neck of the woods. It was a great expirience, especially while driving thru rush hour traffic on 12/23! Anyhow, the truck ran great and I had not issues at all.

The next morning, I decided to take my son for ride in the deuce, and again it started right up and ran like a top. We made about a 10 mile drive, and got within a mile or so of my house. All of the sudden, the ol gal decided she didnt want to idle. When I say idle, I mean once you let off pedal, she dies. You can get it to run at 5-600 rpm using some pedal. So here is where I'm at:

Fuel level- good, added 15 gallons clean diesel, no change
Drained and cleaned tank, checked pump screen and hose-all good
Replaced all fuel filters (all were clean), bleed system with key on, got good clean fuel to bleed screw.
Adjusted idle speed screw at pump-adjusted quite a bit but it still won't hold an idle without feathering pedal.
Checked HD head for movement-good
Turned up fuel 1/2 turn-no change
Checked every hose and fitting I can find-no leaks anywhere

No matter what I do, I don't get any changes, good or bad. She runs down the road just fine, but I can't get the idle thing figured out.

Any other recomendations? Is this a sign of HD head failure? If so, it sure came on quick. Thanks all.

wsucougarx

Is the engine stop lever pushed all the way in?
Sounds like it could be a simple adjustment on the Throttle Lever Cable
When you are at idle, try pulling the throttle lever out until you are able to idle. From there you'll need to adjust your throttle cable. Thinking the throttle cable could have backed out of the throttle cable retention bracket. You'll see the bracket on the IP housing. I think the bracket just has a philipps head screw on it.

Last edited:

moriboy

Yep, checked and rechecked that the stop lever is seated all the way as it should be.

I'll take another look at the throttle cable bracket. I sure hope it is something that simple.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

AaronW

What a hunk of JUNK!! Just kidding:razz:. Mike takes great care of his stuff. These weird things just pop up sometimes. I'm sure somebody here will come up with the solution for you.

Is there a troubleshooting flow chart in the TM for this?

Oh yeah..... Welcome to the site and the hobby. It's a nuthouse in here!

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I couldn't have asked for a better buyer than Brian. Brian and his brother in law were a couple of outstanding guys to deal with. I was happy to see my truck go to someone who's going to take care of her. Brian drove up from Oregon to inspect her...a mere 5 hour drive up. His drive back...well, it took longer than 5 hours;-). I'm happy everything went well on your journey home. I said a couple prayers for travelling mercies for the trip.
After everything was said and done, Brian jumped in her and drove her away. I provided chase to take a couple pics. I had a heck of a time catching up to you guys. When I finally caught up, you were going about 53-55 MPH. I thought a shot of you driving down the road was in order.
Haha, I love pic 3.."Sorry Mike, I can't hear you"

Attachments

Jeepjake

Welcome Moriboy, I am pretty darn new this sight and the MV hobby myself, though I have hit the ground running as fast as my budget will allow. There are some heavy hitters around here who REALLY know their stuff, this place is a goldmine for info.
I don't have anything constructive to add regarding your low-no idle issue, so I will let the guys who know these engines best speak up.

I am in Bend OR, If you are near-by I know only a couple of deuce owners, and only one local, but it would be fun to put together a drive.

Cheers
Jeep

moriboy

Thanks all for the nice welcome! Most of you already know Mike is a great guy, and I really had a good time getting to know him. And the truck is a beauty!
For all that asked, I live near Roseburg, OR. I would love to meet other owners in my area, but I'm guessing there aren't many around here. I don't recall the last time I seen a deuce in Douglas Co.

As far as my technical difficulty, I am really stumped! While I have never worked on a multifuel engine, I maintain about 15 pcs of diesel farm equipment, so I have a little working knowledge about oil burners. I have a long weekend coming up, so you can imagine what I'll be doing!

Thanks again for the kind welcome. Oh, and I'm still looking for tech help!!

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Moriboy- I can't think of anything easy, but have you checked the air intake system? I am planning to put a fuel pressure gauge on mine, so I know what press I have at the IP. Good luck and please let us know what you find. Hope it is something simple (and cheap!).

moriboy

dodgedougak-yes, i did check air filter and also verified that the turbo wasn't "stuck" by manually giving it a little turn. I have had turbo's stick when a pc of carbon get's lodged between the housing and the impeller.

I would swear that somewhere there is a tiny amount of air trapped into the fuel system, but for the life of me I can't prove it.....

moriboy

srodocker-yep I have bled, re-bled, and triple bled! I ran out over a gallon of fuel thru the filter bleeder last night, hoping some air would surface, but none did.

Capt.Marion

Is it giving you any other troublesome symptoms when running at operating speed, or at idle?

Excessive smoke, running rough, idling rough, etc...?

Also, you could go out for a nice, 100-mile or so hard drive again and see if that doesn't work any problems out of the fuel system.

If you wanted to be super-good, you could take a video while your truck is having the problem (just while it's idling in the driveway, or have your son operate the video camera while out for a drive) and post it up here via YouTube for us to see and help us troubleshoot.

Best of luck, and welcome to Steel Soldiers!

moriboy

Good idea Capt.! I will try and get some video and share with you all.

It runs really good up and down all rpm ranges. It starts in an instant (as long as you have a little throttle). In order for it to idle, I have to either pull out the hand throttle or screw in the idle adjut screw at the IP, around 3-4 turns. That seems funny since just a few days ago it ran absolutley perfect.
It seems to want to slowly drop rpms and die unless the idle is at about 1200 rpm or higher...It just won't hold and idle at 800-900 unless I really feather the throttle.

Capt.Marion

Sounds like there might be some worn out idle-circuit component in the IP...

...anybody know where to get a troubleshooting manual/diagram for the IP itself? Is that covered in one of the -20 manuals?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks