• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-2010-Second Annual Chehalis River Valley MV Convoy/Camp-Out

AaronW

Here we go again!

Come one! Come all! This thread is to announce the second annual Chehalis River Valley Military Vehicle Convoy and Camp Out.

When: 17-18 July 2010 (you have tons of time to make plans!)

Where: Starting and ending at AaronW's in Napavine, WA. (Details to follow)

Who: Open to all MV operators and enthusiasts. We prefer that you have an MV to drive or ride in, but realize that everyone may not have full blown OD Fever. Feel free to fall in behind the convoy in a civvy ride or chase vehicle if you can handle the exhaust. Just ask last year's chase vehicle operators about it. Some had to stop to catch a breath!

Why: We have alot of SS menbers and M715Zoners and other club members in WA/OR/ID/MT/CA/Canada that need to get together and meet. And.......FUN!!

Organizers: AaronW(Aaron) and wsucougarx(Mike) Feel free to PM either one of us if you have a question.

Distance: Parade drive 5 miles/Convoy route approx. 76 miles

Details: I will add info as the date approaches.

Here is the plan as I envision it as of 18 APR 2010.......

-We will all meet up at AaronW's Sat at about 0930. We will convoy to Napavine, Wa and participate as the largest entry ever in the annual Napavine Fun Time Festival Parade. This has always been a great and patriotic event!(Be sure to read post #7 for Mike's very sage advice.)

-After the parade ends, We will gather back at AaronW's to pick up any late arrivals or people who chose not to do the parade thing.

-Convoy: We will do an out and back loop this year. In short, we will convoy east out WA12 to the town of Morton. Rest stop in Morton. Return to my place outside of Napavine via WA508. Both 12 and 508 should be very scenic in July. 12 is more of a main route with 508 being a very relaxed return route downhill. I estimate a little more than an hour of quality convoy each way!

-We will end the convoy back at my place, earlier this year, for a cook out/camp fire/ camp out. The Wife and I will provide burgers/dogs/brats and all the fixings(catsup/mustard/mayo/chips/fruit/veggie plate/cola/diet cola/sprite/etc) for grilled dinner by the campfire. If you desire a big ole' steak, feel free to bring it for grilling. (BYOB)

My place is about 2 miles west of Napavine, WA on HWY 603 for planning purposes. I have about 5 level and cleared acres off the road to park the rigs. I will provide a port-a-pot and hand wash station. I have an RV dump for anyone with a cool 109. I also have a shop with air tools and all basic repair equipment. For anyone coming from farther away, you are also welcome to stay on Friday.

-I figure we will be able to have a campfire/cookout, mini swap meet, bench race session, and general good time. I only have two neighbors in shouting distance, so we have no regulations as to noise. If anyone is planning on bringing wives/kids/dogs...that is great! I have one friendly lab and one understanding wife (she bought me the first deuce).

-Depart whenever you feel like it before August!

-This post will also appear on the M715Zone. Also, If you are in contact with MV'ers that are not online, feel free to invite them! We would love to see all types of rigs show up.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcomi...t-annual-chehalis-river-valley-mv-convoy.html Check out last years event.

-wsucougarx(Mike) will be updating our running roster on post #7. Please chime in with a post on the thread or send Mike a PM indicating your status and the vehicle(s) you intend to bring/drive.

22 May 2010 Update: Just to be clear on a few issues. We want everyone to show up prepared and ready to have a relaxing good time.
- Dates: listed as 17-18 July. I really should have said 16-18 July. The more people who want to camp Friday and Saturday, the better. Just be warned, I do not have shower facilities available. I do have a very cold hose available. haha. We will have the campfire going both Friday and Saturday.

-What is provided: A place to camp out.
Saturday night Dinner/Supper.
Clean Port-a-pot.(I will try to rig up a dim light for night use this year)
Drinking/wash water(hose)
Good times around the campfire!
Light duty repair support. (hand/air tools, clean dry workshop)

-Please come prepared with: All other meals you might need for your stay. Local restaurants are 2 mi away in Napavine.
Camping gear for you and who you bring.
Love of M/V's
Folding chairs for around the fire.

**26 JUNE 2010 UPDATE**-Optional Sunday OFFROAD Activity!!
-IF there is enough interest, Hammer and I will lead a Sunday morning offroad trail ride. Plan to shove off at around 0900 after safety checks. It will be a +-25 min drive to the trail head. We will be headed up a logging road complex known locally as "scale shack". It is near Cinebar, WA. Most of the trail is a current "mainline" logging road with some twisting curves and steep sections. We will not be passing any closed gates or "No Trespassing" signs. There are many side roads to explore at your own risk! I will be staying on the main road!! The spur roads may be muddy/washed out/dead end or zombie ridden. If you want to get stuck, you will be able to. Plan for your own recovery or bribe one of the lucky unstuck members.
-This will be a great opportunity to lightly "wheel" your MV. Many of us have not really tested the true 6X6 or 4X4 or 8X8 capability of our rigs.
-Hammer(XM818) and I(M35A2 W/W) have run the route most of the way to the top and back down(7-10 mi/1500'). A stock deuce will be able to compression brake most of the way down. A 5-ton will be on the brakes a lot!
-We will all have fun! Cameras required!

Shoot me a PM or post up if you have a question regarding anything not covered. I will update the list as needed. If you are unsure, I'm sure others might have the same question.

Thanks alot and see you all in Napavine, Aaron

Last edited:

Stalwart

Too early for me to commit. I still might be unpacking or unwinding from the Arlington Airshow, depending how many vehicles we take up there. I'm trying to take HEMTT, Scorpion CVR(T), Fox CVR(W) and possibly unfinished V100 Commando.

It does sound like a LOT of fun though.

wsucougarx

Outstanding Aaron!!!!! We had an incredible debut last year. Let's make this year's event OUTSTANDING. Thanks for incorporating SS into the parade Aaron! May I further this parade event by requesting all present (if regs permit) and previous military members to wear their uniforms. I can't think of a better time to honor our fellow SS who presently serve or who have served this Great Nation.

Please let me know if you intend on coming and what vehicle you plan on operating. We will need a heads up on how many MV's will participate in the parade and convoy.
2010 2nd Annual PNW Roster.
Last updated 16JUN10

Confirmed List:

Member--------------------MV Driving------------Out of area*

AaronW/wife................................M35A2 w/w
Aaron's Father-in-law Wayne.......M109A3 (convoy only)
Wsucougarx..............M35A2C or M109A3.............., WA
ABN173.....................CUCV.....................................JLBM
Josh..........................M35A2...................................Portland, OR
Srodocker..................M35A2 w/trailer....................Tacoma, WA
OD_North..................M35A2...................................Abbottsford, BC Canada
Hammer.....................M818 w/possible trailer........Local
Hammerwife..............M35A2...................................Local
Amer-Team................??????...................................Local
Kurtkds......................M35A2 w/trailer or M818.......Puyallup
Elkhunter...................Civy.......................................Local, well kind of
5_Ton_Tomato..........Wrecker or M818...................Lacey, WA
KaiserJeeps................M35A2..................................Portland, OR
Heavymetal................M35A2..................................Tumwater, WA
Varyag........................M35A2.................................Garfield, WA (E. WA)
Mikkelborg..................M37.....................................Kitsap Peninsula
REO 54.......................M35A2.................................Lopez Island, WA
64c30.........................CUCV...................................Tacoma, WA
Medic5050 w/wife......Civy......................................Troudale, OR
Fisherman...................????....................................Snohomish, WA
503m715....................M35A2.................................Canby, OR
Matt H and sons.........Civy.....................................Cosmopolis, WA
Quarkz........................5 ton...................................Kennewich, WA
USMC deuce cpl...........M35A2................................Seattle, WA
US74k5.........................M1009...............................JBLM
Choll.............................M1009...............................North Bend, WA
Scott K.........................Civy....................................Belfair, WA
Kaiserjeeps..................M35A2...............................Portland, OR

Possible List:

Stalwart......................HEMTT................................Redmond, WA
Leo............................Civy.....................................N. Vancouver, BC Canada
fisherman(M715Zone).......M715?.........................WA
Militaryrestoration.................................................Vancouver/Yakima,WA
Bigelk50........................to be announced:).........Oregon
Brad..............................m35A2............................McKenna

Cookout only:

Amphi...................................................................Local

If you are on the LIST thank you for your response. You are good to go. If you are not on the list and plan on attending PLEASE let either myself or Aaron know!! It would be good to have a head count for the parade and give the chefs a heads up as far as food:)

PARADE ASSIGNMENTS:

FOR THIS YEAR'S PARADE AARON WILL BE PASSING OUT FALL-IN #'S. IT IS OUR DESIRE TO HONOR THOSE VETERANS AND HONOR THOSE WHO ARE CURRENTLY SERVING OUR ARMED FORCES. THESE STEEL SOLDIER MEMBERS WILL BE HONORED AT THE FRONT OF THE PARADE BEHIND OUR LEAD TRUCK AARONW. FALL IN #'S WILL BE HANDED OUT AT OUR MUSTER

WARNING ORDER:
It is imperative that each MV operator do a COMPLETE safety check on their trucks! With the anticipated huge turnout this year, Mr Murphy may want to show his ugly head.

Convoy gear list:

-FRS/GMRS type radios for convoy/parade comms (ie: Motorola Talk-about type radios)-great to have for each truck. They are relatively inexpensive but could prove invaluable for emergencies (ie: warning the driver in front of you of issue with their truck, emergency head stop, approaching emergency vehicles, etc)
-Convoy signs- with the anticipated large turnout, good idea to let those civvy units on the road know what's coming or what's ahead.

CONVOY TO THE CONVOY INFORMATION (I-5 SOUTH)

Scott and I are organizing a convoy to Napavine the morning of 17JUL. Scott will muster at the Tacoma Mall parking lot near Krispy Kremes at 0600 hrs and is planning to depart at 0630 hrs.
I will be located just south of Tumwater at exit 99 just off I-5 South (93rd avenue exit). Our muster time will be 0700hrs and departing around 0730hrs to join the convoy already rolling I-5 South.

*For those out of the area. Location listed so you can convoy together. Best to have backup for your travels....right Josh?:)

Last edited:

Hammer

As of right now, I am IN!
Not sure one which vehicles I would bring.
Most likely my wife will drive her M35A2
I will most likely drive the XM818. If the route includes room, I could bring the 35' flat bed trailer as well.
Anyone have something Military we want to carry on the trailer? Trailer is rated for 40,000 lbs, so it has the capacity ;)

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hammer,
Keep the trailer emply, in case there is a wounded soldier along the way.
Insurance always helps keep Murphy away.
Unless there is going to be a wrecker in the convoy.:mrgreen:

Hammer

It is a fairly tall flat bed trailer, and I don't have loading ramps for getting a vehicle up on it from the side of the road (or any ramps for this trailer as of yet).
So road side recovery would be nice, but unless I get some ramps, and a heavy winch (I have a spare hmmwv electric winch sitting), I couldn't really load up a dead vehicle.

Besides, I did the road side assistance program for last year's event. Who's turn is it for this year? (as long as I am not the one in need! )

wsucougarx

Hammer if you can't find anything we could do something funny. We can put a green Tonka truck on your flatbed w/tie downs. There's a pic somewhere in here where someone did just that on a low boy....LOL

Hammer

The Tonka truck thing would be pretty funny.
I have seen commercial trucks on the road that do that once in a while. Always worth a second look and a laugh.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go green and strap down a bicycle or a small car like a Geo, or maybe a nice antique desk.

A couple of lazyboys and a 26" TV on a stand might be nice.

I am gonna try this year as well. To make it worth the trip I might have to do some camping on the way or on the way back. Funny thing is, your early rally this year is just minutes away from where I picked up my 1st WA deuce in Spanaway, then drove it all the way back to the tricities across the passes. Stopped in Roslyn AK on the way for a beer and pizza at the brick.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Hello Aaron,
Is your intent for an all M series event?

I am in Centralia and could probably take part. It looks like fun.
Current options for me would be M54, M715, M886, M38A1 and some other stuff. There are a couple of other guys around here that maybe would take part as well.

Peter

Amer-team

we have thought about that, but it is a loading dock issue as I don't have ramps that go that high. have been pondering on doing a hitch set up like on the 900 series so that we could tow something with the smaller lunette ring.

Josh

Is there any railyard near you? Most spurs have a ramp tall enough to drive onto the deck of a flatbed semi-trailer.( there are about 5 with in 5 miles of my house that I know of). Other then that, about 60ft of 2in X 2in X 1/4in Angle steel to build a set of ramps. I have a set of ramps made out that, cost me about 100 bucks and an hour or so of welding. I have pictures if ya want. Or since an M38A1 is light, you could prob get away using a 2x10, with 1x1's screwed in every 6-8 inches for traction, and a support every 3ft or so. to keep it from flexing.

My ramp are 10ft long and are just about long enough to load a volkswagon bug into the bed of my truck with out it hitting. M38 has a little more clearance then that. But a M54 sits a little talker then a deuce, so 12ft ramps should be enough.

Last edited:

Amer-team

Those are good points. There is a rail loading dock that I have eyed, but haven't gotten too close as it is on railroad property. I still have a bit of a brake issue to take care of on the 54. It appears that the left front wheel cylinder is leaking and a brake locks up once in awhile. Have been waiting for the weather to warm a bit before I tie into that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks