• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-2012-Fourth Annual Chehalis River Valley M/V Convoy & Campout

ABN173

1 Quart of photo emulsion stripper, pressure washer, and two hours later I "reclaimed" enough screens to use for the T-shirts project. It seems that six years is a bit long to leave photo emulsion on screens........ who knew? lol

-Dale

scoutmanadam

if any one from the east side is going up and has a little room, im trying to get a motor and trans to reo 54. I will not be able to make it due to conflicting training schedules but would be willing to compensate someone for the effort.

jets1959

if any one from the east side is going up and has a little room, im trying to get a motor and trans to reo 54. I will not be able to make it due to conflicting training schedules but would be willing to compensate someone for the effort.
Sorry you are not going to make it!!!! I was looking forward to meeting all the PNW steel soldiers!!!!

ABN173

T-shirts update #2

OK I am almost ready to start screen printing. Upon digging out my system I discovered that I was missing a table that fits under the flash dryer. The company I bought my system from never replied to my e-mail about replacement part so I built my own today with 3/4" particle board and a 16" x 16" ceramic floor tile. Also it took forever to clean the main table (this table is sprayed with fabric adhesive and gets lint and glue build up) I will go into work tomorrow to print off the front graphic on transparency while the larger back design I will have to contract out at a print shop since the transparency will larger than 8.5" x 11". Once these are done I can coat a screen with photo sensitive emulsion and burn the images into the screen.

Anyway long story short should be able to start making these within some days. Most everything is setup and ready to go. I have all the chemicals and supplies needed at this point.

edit: also had to go get a piece of thick glass cut and sanded on the edges today, this will help keep the image in place during "burn-in" process.

Attachments

Last edited:

ABN173

Wow Dale, that is quite an undertaking. I had no idea of the preparation needed for this. Thanks!
Oh believe me, I did. I wanted to do these last year but I simply was not prepared. Work was too busy with deployment train up.
Burning the image may take a few hours or a day or two, depending on if it turns out correct the first time or not. Once I get the screens made say I make 1000 pieces with 2min per shirt per side = 4,000 minutes well that's over 60 hours. That is an over estimate should be able to get them done in about 30-40 hours, but you never know.

-Dale

Last edited:

ABN173

T-shirt update #3

Well I spent the day getting images printed, coated the screens with emulsion, and at 11pm The front T-Shirt screen is perfect and ready to start making shirts, while the back side T-shirt screen may or may not be usable. It had the same "Burn" time as the front, but certain areas (small) washed out that should not have. I may be able to touch those areas up with a tiny paint brush and block out glue. In the long run I will probably remake that one though.

* some of these pictures were taken before I finished cleaning the screens 100% some of the "haze" in the lettering/image I cleaned up pretty good so the final image should be crisp and clean.

Also if the lettering looks backwards its not. I just took the pic from the reverse side of screen.

-Dale

*edit: Ed I still have your star design to do, that one should be much easier.

Attachments

Last edited:

ABN173

Ed (FT Powell),

I should be able to start on this one tomorrow. Let me know if this works. This is just for the stencil the color will depend on the ink I use when screen printing.

-Dale

Attachments

ABN173

T-shirt update #4

Finished prep and started first run. It has been six years so I messed up a couple but nothing real bad minor stuff. I'm wearing one of the mistake shirts now actually, it had a bit of shadow like a double image on part of the lettering. I am going to finish this color of shirt and start on the backside so more to follow.

-Dale

*edit: small detail I just noticed, the truck design is missing the stack. Must have been modeled after a gasser with under frame exhaust.

Attachments

ABN173

T-shirt update #5

OK fellas,

This should be the last picture progress update until I get Ed's design finished. I don't want to clutter the thread anymore than I already have, but did want to show you guys the large back. Suffice to say this is messy work, the slightest bit of ink on the bottom of the screen and you are done! This is what just happened and ink smudges transfer to places they should not and you start ruining costly shirts. Nothing can be done except clean up and start over. (Notice the small rectangular smudge by the hood handle)

*Oh besides the lack of exhaust stack, I noticed one other detail not right. Take a look and post. The first person to get it right gets a free shirt.
(It's not the missing mushroom)

-Dale

Attachments

Last edited: