• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

wayne pick

If you wait for the WAIT light before cranking the engine you'll avoid a lot of the failures in the starting and glow plug circuits.
Really? No kidding? I don't have to wait for anything, I bypassed the GP card. Never once did I discredit CUCV Electric. They have great products. The original style relay, improved or not, is unreliable. It's a relay, not a solinoid. RELAX!

rsh4364

when i bought my m1009 i started reading the forum here and read about runaway starters,i asked a buddy whos owned a few 1009s, said he never heard about relay problem..3 days later truck wouldnt start, and when i shut truck door the starter engaged,burned up fuseable link to starter was all the damage i saw, it was a brand new starter so i thought it was okay,so i fixed fuselink and put a new fact. relay in turned the key and smoked my interior wiring harness....i was so disapointed i almost scrapped the truck....and i do love this truck...IF I HAD DONE THE UPGRADE WHEN I READ ABOUT IT, IT WOULD HAVE SAVED ME ALOT OF MONEY, AND A GOOD DOSE OF SCOLDING FROM MY GF.IF YOU WAIT TIL YOU NEED TO DO IT ITS TO LATE....

wayne pick

when i bought my m1009 i started reading the forum here and read about runaway starters,i asked a buddy whos owned a few 1009s, said he never heard about relay problem.
Your buddy must have gone with the zip tied 9/16 wrench and under hood Purple-K mod. LOL. I did the doghead mod before I even put my truck on the road. I was not aware of the runaway starter issue before I came here to SS, but I have seen low voltage cause starter runaways in the past, resulting in ruined starters and toasted wires. Electrical is not my strong point, so I figured do the mod and avoid some grief.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes Napa couldnt find the part by the number....till i said Small engine..aka lawn mower relay. Easy install
Just remove the dashes from the part number and they can find it. The relay is available at many other parts houses. Oreilly's, CarQuest, Advanced. Usually in the lawn mower section.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or snowplow section. Or boat section. Or Freightliner dealer, or industrial supply house, or...

There are thousands of applications for these relays.

It's shameful that a NAPA anywhere in the USA, can't type in that number(with or without the dash) and come up with the same part. This speaks volumes about human intelligence and computer programing.

MarcusOReallyus

It's shameful that a NAPA anywhere in the USA, can't type in that number(with or without the dash) and come up with the same part. This speaks volumes about human intelligence and computer programing.

Yup. And what it says ain't good!

Since this is a reliability issue with a standard relay, I suspect any quality relay of equal or better capacity would do as well as the lawnmower relay. When I get around to mine, I may just go with a good Bosch or Hella 40 amp or something just to experi-o-ment a bit....

But then, a 200 amp relay is massive overkill, and overkill is good! :mrgreen:

culverjoe

That's exactly what I did; a 40A relay. Use your wife's bobby pins and you can remove the terminals from the plastic connector, and slide them right on a bosch 40A relay. Not sure how many amps the starter relay actually draws, but the one on my '93 6.5L I measured at about 10A. Being a 24V relay, and what I think I probably likely know about ohm's law, I'd guess it should only take around 5A. Very unsure about this though, since it is a 10 or 12 AWG wire going to the starter. But regardless, I did the mod around three months ago and I haven't had any problems, don't see why I ever would.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CJ, I think you've missed the point of using the part I called for, for this modification.

The reasons why I called for the part I did, has multiple reasons. This has been discussed in great detail previously.

I wish people would post their own modifications/suggestions, in their own threads.

Last edited:

eastTXhunter

I am new to the M1009 world. Got my new to me baby home today, and did the mod first thing. It fired up and starts alot better! Thanks Doghead for the mod, love it.

Onestar

Just finished the new relay install. It took me about a half hour longer. When I was buying the new relay I guess I thought it would just magically mount itself to the plate and stay there. So I had to run to the store for some nuts and bolts.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
conversion

I did the conversion, but my own design.
I took the old relay appart and gutted it.
Used the base and the shell as a connector.
bolted a heavy duty relay to the other end of the plate the original
relay is mounted on and wired it up to the connector. Then plugged the connector into
the socket for the original relay.
In a pinch I can slap an old type relay in place until I fix
the new one, although that should never happen.
Just like to think ahead.

The relay I used was the one recomended to replace the
glow plug relay.

Bruce

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did another one today on the bambalance. As usual I added a switch in the purple/wte wire so that I can interrupt the circuit, just in case someone with a 73Y2 key happens along.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks