• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO help

M-1028

Hey guys, I'm installing a Braden 20K winch in the rear of my deuce and I've got some question. First, does anybody know if you can reverse the shaft in the pto boxes used for the factory front winches? Meaning pull the shaft and install it in the other side of the box for a rear application? I've got 3 pto boxes that all do this and I'm trying to make them work but none of the gears mesh to the deuce trans gear correctly. Second, the gear that runs the pto, is it one direction only? I'm guessing changing gears in the trans has no effect on that gear? Third, I need to know more info on the pto gear in the trans to try and find something that will work but I have no idea where to start. Do you need to know how many teeth, diameter, gear pitch? I'm lost, and was hoping there are not a lot of different applications. Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to find a transfer case PTO. The shaft is in the perfect location to chain drive the winch.

M-1028

Try to find a transfer case PTO. The shaft is in the perfect location to chain drive the winch.
Didn't know they had one, I'm guessing it bolt to an output shaft somehow? The deuce T case has no 6 bolt pto locations. The winch already has the drop down chain drive and running the shaft back from the trans seems easy. Like mentioned I have 3 boxes that will work but the gear mesh is not correct.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, does anybody know if you can reverse the shaft in the pto boxes used for the factory front winches?
Yes and no. You can reverse the output but the gear arrangement after you're finished will only give you a single speed in one direction. You can also take some parts from a 5-ton PTO and make it rear output and still keep all your gears. After you've done all that you will find that the output will interfere with the master cylinder. So basically there's no way to make it work for all practical purposes.

There is a accessory drive that will bolt to your current PTO that will let you keep your front output but also have a rear output. The down side is it still only gives you a single speed in one direction on the rear output and the accessory drives are kind or rare and expensive when you find one.

I'd either go with the t-case PTO as mentioned above or consider going with a hyd winch. The t-case PTO will give you 5 speeds in one direction and one speed reverse. If you go hyd it will greatly simplify you driveline and offer better winch control.

You won't find a civilian PTO that will have the proper gear to mate the deuce trans. Supposedly there is one but I've never seen anybody actually produce a pic of one.

Here's a pic of a t-case PTO.

Attachments

Last edited:

M-1028

Well that kinda sucks. The shaft clears the master cylinder with all three of the boxes I have, I bolted them up and hooked the shaft up, I just have to angle it down about 15 degrees which puts it perfectly inline with the input on the winch. It just clears the air tanks too. I'm not worried about having multiple speeds, but reverse would be nice. Looks like that won't happen unless I run the t case pto. What's the word on the transfer case pto? Are they easy to find? Any idea on price?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer PTO is hard to find and costs around $300.

I thought everyone in Sealy had their own FMTV?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
when you mount a PTO on the transmission or the T/C, you must set the gear lash correctly or bad things will happen. that usually involves putting more than one gasket between the PTO and what it bolts to. There was a rear facing PTO built for the deuce dump truck, but both are kinda like hens teeth - not seen often. 5 ton dumps and wreckers have PTO's that go both front and back and it may be easier to find a 5 ton so equipped than a deuce PTO that works with a rear output. Several folks have simply put a hydraulic pump on the front of the standard PTO and run a hyd. winch.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are t-case PTOs that come up for sale in the classifieds from time to time. They aren't all that hard to find. The last two I had sold for $500 each.

I've had 3 of them and they all came off tanker parts trucks. If you do find one make for sure it comes with the piece that goes on the output shaft of the t-case, if not they are almost impossible to find.

If you've already got a front output winch PTO, I'd seriously consider going with a hyd drive. You can probably pick up a pump, valve, and motor for about what the t-case PTO will cost.

Here's some threads that shows the PTO and let piece that bolts to the t-case output- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?44103-Transfer-case-PTO-removal&highlight=t-case+PTO
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?40458-Transfer-case-PTO-question&highlight=t-case+PTO

Last edited:

jsthnt@gmail.com

I have a rear facing t-case pto on mine. My truck was a fire truck in a previous life. I do not have an engagement lever I think it was on the fire box. I haven't decided to do with mine yet.

tobyS

C &C Equipment has Chelsea new PTO for about $550 for the 929 series w/ Allison. It includes the control cable and lube line. One must have gears in the AT for it. Not a bad deal for new.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
C &C Equipment has Chelsea new PTO for about $550 for the 929 series w/ Allison. It includes the control cable and lube line. One must have gears in the AT for it. Not a bad deal for new.
Won't fit a deuce though.

M-1028

when you mount a PTO on the transmission or the T/C, you must set the gear lash correctly or bad things will happen. that usually involves putting more than one gasket between the PTO and what it bolts to. There was a rear facing PTO built for the deuce dump truck, but both are kinda like hens teeth - not seen often. 5 ton dumps and wreckers have PTO's that go both front and back and it may be easier to find a 5 ton so equipped than a deuce PTO that works with a rear output. Several folks have simply put a hydraulic pump on the front of the standard PTO and run a hyd. winch.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm familiar with the lash and how to set them up. I pulled all of these boxes apart and everything seem very simple if I had the right gear.

M-1028

There are t-case PTOs that come up for sale in the classifieds from time to time. They aren't all that hard to find. The last two I had sold for $500 each.

I've had 3 of them and they all came off tanker parts trucks. If you do find one make for sure it comes with the piece that goes on the output shaft of the t-case, if not they are almost impossible to find.

If you've already got a front output winch PTO, I'd seriously consider going with a hyd drive. You can probably pick up a pump, valve, and motor for about what the t-case PTO will cost.

Here's some threads that shows the PTO and let piece that bolts to the t-case output- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?44103-Transfer-case-PTO-removal&highlight=t-case+PTO
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?40458-Transfer-case-PTO-question&highlight=t-case+PTO
If you come across one let me know, this winch has my restoration on hold. If I can't find one by next week I'm going to take a pto box and my extra trans to a couple big truck driveling shops and see if they can make something work. My other option is to make a t case pto box.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
You won't find a civilian PTO that will have the proper gear to mate the deuce trans. Supposedly there is one but I've never seen anybody actually produce a pic of one.

Here's a pic of a t-case PTO.
If you are in the proper area of the US, there may still be PTOs. The spicer trans was widely used on GMC single axle dumps for years. Maybe 1955 to 1965??

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are in the proper area of the US, there may still be PTOs. The spicer trans was widely used on GMC single axle dumps for years. Maybe 1955 to 1965??
Tom, you may be right but I'd sure like to see a pic of one. I've seen plenty of trucks with Spicer trans but none that took the same PTO as a deuce.

I do know Chelsea did make a PTO that would fit the deuce but according to more than one Chelsea dealer, the gear has been obsolete for years. You won't find a PTO that will fit a deuce civilian PTO dealer, I've checked.

Gringeltaube is the authority on deuce PTOs. Maybe he'll chime in.

M-1028

OK, I got the rear pto all bolted up and looks like it's going to work perfect for my needs. I got the shifter too and I have no idea where it mounts or how it mounts for that matter. Any body have any pics? I searched the site and yahoo, I found nothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks