• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO help

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed the pics wouldn't enlarge, I don't know what's up with that. I'm running a pump that is a Haldex but it looks just like the one in your link. I don't think you'll have a problem running a driveshaft directly to it (I haven't). Where are you getting the info? There's going to be very little side load anyway unless your driveline is at too much of a angle.

If you'll notice I had to move one of my air tanks to make room for the driveline. It's easily done with a spare set of tank hangers.

Here's a link to the pump I'm running- http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329754_200329754

Here's a link to my dump conversion thread, it has some better pics- http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ump-conversion&p=579857&viewfull=1#post579857
Disregard the pump in the pics. It was a Vickers pump that turned out to be bad so I had to replace it with the Haldex.

Hooty481

The company where I ordered the pump told me that it would not hold the side load. I don't know if it because it is a 5/8 shaft and yours is a 3/4. Don't seem like much difference in the 2 pumps. Another thing is I was having trouble finding a yoke that would fit that pump. The only thing I found that would fit was the love joy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could be right but the side load of a u-joint driveshaft isn't going to be very much. Now a belt or chain drive would be a different story.

Go ahead a do what you need to do, I was just trying to help you simplify your driveline. I'd hate for you to just run a driveshaft and the pump fail and say "I told you so" but I honestly think it would be ok.

Hooty481

If I can get it lined up pretty straight and find a yoke to weld to the love joy then I might try it. These pumps are just $50 right now might get another one for a spare incase it doesn't last. I hope I can do it without moving my air tanks. Gonna pull the bed off and get the pump set up. Should make it a lot easier to do.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may can get by without moving the tanks but it is tight. I could have got by without moving the tank if I mounted the pump higher but wanted to pump below the hyd tank. While most pumps will work mounted above the hyd tank, they tend not to last as long and you have more cavitation problems.

Hooty481

Good to know. Also my pto engagement lever has a bolt holding it in place that is loose and when tightened down the pto won't spin. Should this have been a stud or something else. Maybe a shorter bolt?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black-, blue-, red-silicone, or Loctite 518.... and NO gasket.
Or paper gasket + Indian Head (Permatex shellac compound).

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Indian Head is some great stuff. I use it on almost everything I don't plan on taking apart in the foreseeable future. It will seal up a gasket great but is a real pain sometimes to get the part separated after it's set up and real tough to remove after you get the part off, for that reason I don't use it on stuff I think I might take back apart in the near future.

That being said, I think I used RTV on my t-case PTO, I don't recall the color :).

tobyS

Has anyone ever put a thru put hydraulic pump on the drive line of the winch? if so which model pump

What are you asking... if a pump can function as a winch motor? Or are you wanting to take hydraulic flow off for other work, piggyback with the winch motor (winch motor driving it) ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks