• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO help

M-1028

Really?, try again: upper right, Google Custom Search, enter "PTO shift linkage", 3 second later you are here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94039-Transfer-PTO-adjustments-maintenance Then scroll down a few posts...

G.
Found those and just skimmed and didn't see pic of the shifter I have bolted up. I guess I don't have everything, only linkage I got was the long piece with the little carrier bearings on it and the small tie rod that bolts to the pto shifter.

M-1028

Check the parts diagram below. What really is missing? I could send pics and dims if I knew what exactly is needed.

G.
That's exactly what I have. The thread that was linked showed no pics or diagrams of it bolted up. It did tell me the shift linkage on the box itself is upside down on mine. The diagram on that thread is not the same shifter as far as I can tell. Just showed pics of the shifter just laying on the ground.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G, On that first pic, is that some sort of tach drive on the PTO to measure PTO speed? I've never seen that before.

I didn't have the rod that goes from the lever to the PTO shifter on mine. I found out with a little modification a deuce clutch rod that I had lying around works fine.

M-1028

Those pics still don't show where the shifter in the parts diagram is mounted. Where to the small carrier bearings bolt? Where is the shifter supposed to be, in the cab?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pics still don't show where the shifter in the parts diagram is mounted. Where to the small carrier bearings bolt? Where is the shifter supposed to be, in the cab?
Yes, in the cab, behind the driver's seat. I think you have to drill the holes for the carrier bearings.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I thought that its location was quite obvious... I see I was wrong...:-?

Let's try this, quick: "... lever handle goes up-down between E-brake lever and door. Shaft #14 with blocks #17 is mounted to the floor behind driver's seat. The floor already has 4 holes & threaded nuts for bolts #15. There is also a knock-out plate close to the transm. tunnel, where the crank #12 goes through the floor.... "

G.

M-1028

Sorry I thought that its location was quite obvious... I see I was wrong...:-?

Let's try this, quick: "... lever handle goes up-down between E-brake lever and door. Shaft #14 with blocks #17 is mounted to the floor behind driver's seat. The floor already has 4 holes & threaded nuts for bolts #15. There is also a knock-out plate close to the transm. tunnel, where the crank #12 goes through the floor.... "

G.
I'm in the middle of a resto mod and the cab is not on. I'm trying to get everything done while I have a lot of room. I figured the shifter bolted to the frame. Thanks for the help!!

Hooty481

I'd either go with the t-case PTO as mentioned above or consider going with a hyd winch. The t-case PTO will give you 5 speeds in one direction and one speed reverse. If you go hyd it will greatly simplify you driveline and offer better winch control.
i am in the process of installing a knuckle boom on the deuce. And going with a t-case pto. How will I know what gear to use to engage my pto?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is most times direct for pump drive running about 1000/1200 rpm, it will take some time to find the correct rpm so as to have enough hyd. pressure/flow with out to much. I would install a pressure gauge

tobyS

Hooty, won't that depend on the type pump, size cylinders and valve arrangement of your knuckle boom? If you plan on co-ordination of moves, you will need quite a bit of flow, thus running at a higher speed. If you are going through the gear box, driving from the transfer case, won't the pump speed be proportional to the gear your in? You will probably have a positive displacement pump and an "open center" system, thus you may also want a throttle control at the boom operator position to vary the speed with your need for speed or power. Can you please post some pictures of your machinery?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am in the process of installing a knuckle boom on the deuce. And going with a t-case pto. How will I know what gear to use to engage my pto?
I usually run my dump (t-case PTO driven) in 3rd gear. I've never checked the RPM but it just seems about right. Any faster the pump makes a lot more noise and any slower the dump moves too slow for my taste.

I guess it would help to know what RPM the knuckle boom pump was rated for.

Hooty481

I have not yet found the pump that I need. I was going to ask if anyone knew the specs on the pump of the 817 to see if that might be suited for my use.

My knuckle boom requires 6 gpm and 3000 psi. I can't post pictures right now because I am on my iPad and it won't accept them.

tobyS

Third gear sounds about right (m16ty) for running 1000/1200 rpm (that 73m819 suggests) at around 1800 engine rpm (but I don't know the ratios of the tranny).

There are 231 cubic inches to a gallon, so if you need 6 gallons at 1000 rpm, you will need (6 x 231)/1000 or around 1.386 cubic inch pump. Of course the pump and all should be rated 3000 psi.

My boom truck has a throttle petal and I would personally want a pump that ran closer to 1/1 with the engine, so would run in fourth gear. But I realize many machines set an rpm and do not vary it like mine, so the above is probably about right to run at 1800 (engine rpm) or so. I have from idle (600) to 2000+ in engine rpm available, thus have control of speed (flow) that you will have to master in your "feel" of a valve, when setting a constant engine rpm. On a hydraulic bandsawmill I built, I had three solenoids for rpm control.

My guess is you plan on using the dash mount rpm set cable rather than making it variable.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6 gpm isn't much. I'm betting that's the minimum.

Check out Northern Tool. They have some pumps that would work for you for less than $200.

Hooty481

I believe I am going to go with the t-case pto and pto pump. I have not found any info on the 817 pto pump so I think I will just go this route. 6 gpm is the minimum and 10gpm is the max at 3000 psi. I would like to find a pto pump for a couple hundred bucks. I have found the t-case pto shaft and everything I need to hook it up. Gonna work on getting the crane mounted for now.

The crane is a Morgan model 40 which is originally a fassi f40 with a winch installed and the mounting system changed. Wish I could up load pictures

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could go with a electric pump. I'm usually not a big fan but with such a low gpm requirement, it may fill your needs fine and be the cheapest route. I'm not sure about duty cycles on the electric pumps though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks