• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchased a 1943 Ford GPW

ducer

Now after seeing your other thread I am 100% positive you will be good to that Jeep! I think you will be much happier going stock but that is just my 2 cents. Stock or not I say leave the pto it is kind of a neat option and pays homage to it's post military life but it's your call. As for those front lockouts I played with a set of those in my past life (25 or so years ago) I cant remember the brand name. I do remember they worked great in the summer time but sucked in the cold and ice unless they were warmed up first.

Denny

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now after seeing your other thread I am 100% positive you will be good to that Jeep! I think you will be much happier going stock but that is just my 2 cents. Stock or not I say leave the pto it is kind of a neat option and pays homage to it's post military life but it's your call. As for those front lockouts I played with a set of those in my past life (25 or so years ago) I cant remember the brand name. I do remember they worked great in the summer time but sucked in the cold and ice unless they were warmed up first.

Denny

I will get a lot of answers when I start dismantling the jeep and can get frame numbers, part numbers etc off of it.

I researched some and found that the Willys company started working on a civilian utility type jeep during the end of 1944 and during 1945. The options included a rear or front PTO, a tailgate, and several agricultural attachments. They called these models CJ-2's (Civilian Jeep Agricultural). I do not remember the exact number but there were only about 45 to 50 of the prototype models made at that time making them pretty rare. (I will get the article and post it if you want to see it)

I also found some interesting information about the dual lever hub lock outs that froze to the hub in winter! I have attached that articles address. http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/hubs/index.html

Gordon
P.S. The reason I think the jeep is a 1943 Ford GPW is because the current registration listed it that way and the glove compartment data plate info also said 1943 Ford GPW. I am now a little sceptical as I have not identified the frame number or body number yet. This thing could be a C.J. model?? I should have looked further before I leaped. In either case I will keep you posted on what this Jeep actually turns out to be.....

Last edited:

Jeff Lakaszcyck

You definitely have a GPW frame, and what would appear to be a GPW body. I think you are ok. Willys MB's and the subsequent CJ2 through CJ5 models had a tubular front cross member while the Ford GPW had a channel front cross member like yours.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You definitely have a GPW frame, and what would appear to be a GPW body. I think you are ok. Willys MB's and the subsequent CJ2 through CJ5 models had a tubular front cross member while the Ford GPW had a channel front cross member like yours.

Thanks alot..I was getting worried about the frame and body due to all the strange modifications added on the jeep. Specially the PTO output shaft to the rear of the jeep. I believe the PTO for front or rear was an option that was experimented with in mid to late 1944 and in 1945 for the eventual civilian market, so I got a little worried.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After all the calculations for how much I was going to sink into this jeep I finally ended up restoring it with the Buick V6 engine in it.

The only thing done to the frame to accommodate the Buick V6 was to add two motor mount brackets to the frame right next to the original L4 engine mounts. This was done so that the L4 could be put back in (if someone wanted to) without having to remove or change anything. There would just be the two Buick V6 mounts sitting unused next to the original L4 engine mounts.

The original transmission and transfer case mounts in their original locations were used with the Buick V6 so as to not alter the jeeps frame with anything other than the two added Buick V6 motor mounts already mentioned.

The other non stock items were as follows:

1. A T90 transmission instead of a T84 was used. This required a M38 jeep transmission cover to be used instead of the original.
  2. A longer T90 transmission input shaft was used.
  3. A “Advance Adapters” custom Buick V6 to T-90 bell housing was used.
  4. A different clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing retainer, and throwout bearing arm was used.
  5. All brake and clutch pedal mechanisms remained the same with a little tweaking of the clutch linkage going to the throw out bearing arm.
  6. The radiator had to have one of its tank hose connections moved to accommodate the engine.
  7. My plan was to add a radiator overflow, a custom oil filter installation, and a custom air cleaner arrangement.
  8. The jeep had been converted to 12VDC so I also planned on a 6VDC drop down transformer for the B/O drive light and a step up 12VDC to 24VDC transformer for the operation of a PRC 77 vehicle mounted radio.
  9. Installation of a remote master cylinder filling point was also in the plan.
  10. A new overdrive unit was to be installed and a custom shift boot arrangement made up.
  11. A custom made heavy duty steel bumper of the same size as the original was in place when the jeep was acquired. It was done so well that I kept it on the jeep.
  12. Turn signals and additional “mini brake lights” were planned as an addition to the jeep.

With this list in mind for the “Jeep Police” I decided to begin my home done frame off restoration of this jeep as a WWII U.S. Marine Vehicle. The Frame serial number and the data plate numbers match. The tub appears to have been the original or an exact replica (since the GPW had no body numbers stamped on it).

These are the purchase pictures of the jeep in July of 2014. (The camera date setting is wrong as I had not set it correctly from the start)

Attachments

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is part of the the initial work to get the jeep down to a frame off configuration. Another non stock item was the use of a Saginaw steering gearbox that was the same size and fit as the original so that the 99.9 % of the original steering column could be used. the only difference was the rubber boot assembly covering the column to gearbox connection

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is more of the the initial work to get the jeep down to a frame off configuration.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I tell you what! I would love to have this jeep! There is a firm here in europe, (in france of all places) that restores jeeps like yours. What a gas! Keep us informed. And if you decide one way or another, is something only important to you. I for one don't care what you do. Its your jeep and I think you will do it justice, however you do it. Rock on!

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BOY, DO i AGREE WITH YOU!

I tell you what! I would love to have this jeep! There is a firm here in europe, (in france of all places) that restores jeeps like yours. What a gas! Keep us informed. And if you decide one way or another, is something only important to you. I for one don't care what you do. Its your jeep and I think you will do it justice, however you do it. Rock on!

Thank you so much for your post. It is refreshing to have someone with your attitude reply as you have. I am in the boat with you.....Rock on, for sure!

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pictures of the frame dismantle, de-rusting, primer coat, painting, engine removal, axles and springs etc.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No wonder you can work outside on this truck. Bishop, man the last time I was there was 1972, and it was HOT.
Strangely enough...Bishop California can get to the high 80"s and higher for the summer months. But, in the winter we can get as low as 28-32 degree day time temperatures. And at night down to 17 degrees. Currently we are getting 49 hi 32 low,
Tues 45 hi 30 low.

I do wear long johns no get bundled up to work even though the sky is clear blue and no precipitation. We also usually get between 3-6 inches of snow once or twice in the winter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks