• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometers

phil2968

If you have seen any of my trucks with the pyro zip-tied to the steering column, picture the same thing, but with a smaller gauge!
Something like I did with my boost gauge. Second pic is normal boost at highway speed. Third is dash shot towing an M35 out of Albany Ga. Boost will it 12psi on uphill climbs or when getting on interstate. Would love to know what my EGT was during that trip!

Attachments

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Boost will it 12psi on uphill climbs or when getting on interstate. Would love to know what my EGT was during that trip!
I have towed 12psi@2500rpm uphill. Figure about 800*F (post turbo probe w/D Turbo) w/ambient temp in 60-70*F range. If the hill is steep enough to pull rpms down (and it always is) the temperature slowly climbs as RPM and boost drop. Maybe 900*F around 2000rpm (9psi). Loitering at ~1600 (5-6psi) EGT gets too hot (975+*F). Down shifting increases boost and lowers EGT. I try to keep it below 975, though 1000 should be OK for, say, 10-20 seconds. Add 200-250*F if probe is ahead of the turbo. Add if ambient temp is higher.... Just conjecture, the C may run hotter than the D. I think the compressor may be less efficient at high boost levels. If so this would raise EGT too. Getting up to speed (on-ramp) does not drive temps up very much.

When I called the boost gauge was like $70 I think with line and fittings and the egt gauge with thermocouple was $140 he said $11 shipping to pa. I didn't think that was bad considering they would change the light to red and 24v for no extra cost. These will be the gauges I'm getting.

I'm taking all my tags off the dash and installing my gauges on the left side of the steering wheel

steelandcanvas

does anybody know what the hewwit boost and pyro setup cost
I paid just a tad over $200 or my EGT/Boost set up. I had them install 24 Volt LEDs and copied the black background and white numerals to match the OEM Deuce gauges. I like the idea you don't need a power source for the probe (K style), and with the factory installing the 24 Volt LED, no resistors or 12 Volt power source needed.

DieselBob

yea they were closed on fri will call mon whats the deal with the k style probe no power ??
The “K” type thermocouple generates a voltage dependent on temperature. That way you do not need a power source for the pyrometer. That is why I went with the isspro turbocator. No need to have a power source unless you want a light.
100_0162.jpg

steelandcanvas

It's a thermo coupler. It uses the heat and changes resistance I think
A thermocouple is a temperature-measuring device consisting of two dissimilar conductors that contact each other at one or more spots. It produces a voltage when the temperature of one of the spots differs from the reference temperature at other parts of the circuit.

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies significantly with temperature, more so than in standard resistors.

Last edited:

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DieselBob, I was wondering where you got the bracket and bucket for your pyrometer and boost gauge that is in your picture? Also, if by any chance you might have the part number?

I got my Hewitt gauges today.... I'll post some pictures up tonight. I'm hoping to use an aluminum plate and rearrange the dash panel and put all the gauges in the center. Either that or Pull the fuel data plate off and put them there but I don't think the dash is deep enough.

steelandcanvas

I got my Hewitt gauges today.... I'll post some pictures up tonight. I'm hoping to use an aluminum plate and rearrange the dash panel and put all the gauges in the center. Either that or Pull the fuel data plate off and put them there but I don't think the dash is deep enough.
Congrats on your gauge purchase, I have been very happy with my Hewitt products. I didn't want to cut a buch of holes in the dash, so this is what I did...just a suggestion. I cut some 2" aluminum angle, and mounted that to a gauge panel I purchased from Jeg's or Summit. The only hole I drilled was in the top of the dash to run light power (tapped off the instrument lights), the thermocouple wires, and the air tubing. I packed these in plastic wire looming material.

Pyro-Boost Gauges.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure you saw me post this before(maybe not), I love having mine n the steering column. Its the gauge I look at most and there is no need to look away, just look down a little.

Yeah that's what I'm going with. I ordered two auto meter gauge pods today to hose clamp to the steering column. There is definitely no room behind the dash with the defrosters. And I don't think there is enough room to re do the gauge cluster with a Pyro host and 12v voltage gauge.

74M35A2

GR, are you still looking for K type thermocouples? I have some I can send to you. Diameter of them affects their response time if that is important to you. I'm guessing 7 years later you may have them by now though!

Katavic918

The only thing that makes me nervous about installing a pyrometer is drilling into the manifold before the turbo. It seems that's what most people here have done. In my mind I know that if the engine is running, there is little to no chance of dropping chips into the turbo. But if some do fall into the turbo it shouldn't cause any major problems right? I'm guessing they would just get blown out the other side. I have one on the way so I guess I'll have to find out soon enough. Also, should I keep the idle turned up while doing this? Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks