• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about m923a1

Found one for sale locally (130 miles away) just a couple questions i have been trying to learn about these. What the value (guy is asking $8500). A brief desciption from him:it was rebuilt in 2008 under AMC CEG-E The truck is top quality and 100% functional - ready for you. All WMOs (work modification orders) were preformed, European required "lollipop" lights and reflectors are equipped, troop seats are new fiberglass, and the cargo cover was installed new from the box. All flawless! The tires are 99% tread and even match the same direction! They still have the shipping bar codes attached! The spare is 100% new with all the casting impressions.

Mostly looking for value and anything else i should look for? The wife approved it now just trying to find the right price. ALso how much is a .mil winch?

todds112

Sounds like a good deal to me if it's as advertised. Just a new cargo cover is close to $2k.

There's been a few threads from guys that have added winches, don't recall the costs, but it looked like a lot of work. Of course "a lot of work" is relative to who's doing it.:roll:

$_57 (1).jpgpictures are good looks real clean the tires are in real good shape he said as well. Price is a bit more than i was wanting to spend but maybe he'll bargain lol.

Last edited:

Gunzy

I agree, if it is as advertised that is a real good deal. I would go look at it and if it is that nice buy it. My boss just sold an M925A2 without troop seats or cover for $14400.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A1 is probably going to have the older engine vs the A2 with the 8.3 turbo. You may want to research the differences. Gas mileage is a big difference from what I heard.

I bought my m931A2 for $10,000, and it didn't come with a hard top. That looks like a very nice truck based on picture and description.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gray, this is my truck for sale. If you're looking for something cheaper I have a dozen more to pick from that will fit your budget. PM sent.

74M35A2

Most common asking price for a 939 series 20k front hydro winch on SS classifieds is about $1500 fairly complete, minus frame extensions. Those are another $500 or so as buy-it-now from a vendor unless you shop them around (time saves money thing). PTO can be put on trans without moving or removing trans, but it is extremely tight doing so. May need to cut wrenches down, put mounting studs in after PTO in place, that kind of stuff, but can and has been done numerous times. If a winch truck (925) is $2000 more, you can then get the winch with zero work or scrounging for parts (hydro filter, tank, brackets, etc...). That's how I did mine. Personally, I would not own one of these without a winch because I like to really play with it, not be scared to go wherever, and a smaller truck may not pull it out. I'm actually putting the same winch on the rear also just to have "fearless" mode. I had a mechanical artificial heart valve put in, I don't really trust it, and I bought my 925A2 as a survival present to self, so I am going to have fun with it even if end up destroying it (no intentions of such). Some stories and pics here require 2-3 equal sized trucks or a dozer to pull them out once stuck. If you will keep it out of mud and such, then you probably can skip the winch, unless you want the look. A 923 truck can be had for significant less cost, and it is otherwise the same cool a$$ truck.

A1 version gets terrible mileage (4mpg), A2 gets double (10mpg). These are approx. Consider that also if you plan to drive it a reasonable amount or if it is just a weekend warrior thing. A1 has decent low end torque, A2 has none until the turbo is awake. A1 sounds like a semi truck (same base engine), A2 sounds like a school bus (same engine, nearly exact). Fun trucks no matter what. Buying from an individual lowers your risk significantly as you can spend some time with it and test drive, etc...., and that is worth $ if you just want to sign and drive and minimize work required. I think you are asking good questions. Check prices on the classifieds here, and of a Craigslist in your surrounding areas if any are listed. There are search engines that check all CraigsLists of your entire state in one swoop. eBay completed auctions which sold is a common go-to for me to judge lowest achievable market value if you had to get out of it for whatever reason.

I bought mine from an SS member a couple of states away and kept money in the family. Good luck and welcome.

Last edited:
Most common asking price for a 939 series 20k front hydro winch on SS classifieds is about $1500 fairly complete, minus frame extensions. Those are another $500 or so as buy-it-now from a vendor unless you shop them around (time saves money thing). PTO can be put on trans without moving or removing trans, but it is extremely tight doing so. May need to cut wrenches down, put mounting studs in after PTO in place, that kind of stuff, but can and has been done numerous times. If a winch truck (925) is $2000 more, you can then get the winch with zero work or scrounging for parts (hydro filter, tank, brackets, etc...). That's how I did mine. Personally, I would not own one of these without a winch because I like to really play with it, not be scared to go wherever, and a smaller truck may not pull it out. I'm actually putting the same winch on the rear also just to have "fearless" mode. I had a mechanical artificial heart valve put in, I don't really trust it, and I bought my 925A2 as a survival present to self, so I am going to have fun with it even if end up destroying it (no intentions of such). Some stories and pics here require 2-3 equal sized trucks or a dozer to pull them out once stuck. If you will keep it out of mud and such, then you probably can skip the winch, unless you want the look. A 923 truck can be had for significant less cost, and it is otherwise the same cool a$$ truck.

A1 version gets terrible mileage (4mpg), A2 gets double (10mpg). These are approx. Consider that also if you plan to drive it a reasonable amount or if it is just a weekend warrior thing. A1 has decent low end torque, A2 has none until the turbo is awake. A1 sounds like a semi truck (same base engine), A2 sounds like a school bus (same engine, nearly exact). Fun trucks no matter what. Buying from an individual lowers your risk significantly as you can spend some time with it and test drive, etc...., and that is worth $ if you just want to sign and drive and minimize work required. I think you are asking good questions. Check prices on the classifieds here, and of a Craigslist in your surrounding areas if any are listed. There are search engines that check all CraigsLists of your entire state in one swoop. eBay completed auctions which sold is a common go-to for me to judge lowest achievable market value if you had to get out of it for whatever reason.

Good luck and welcome.
THanks for the info guys i really appreciate it. It would really be a weekend warrior type thing as i have a regular 9-5 and surprisingly the wife is on board with this idea lol. I love the noise of the turbo but they seem to go for more than the wife allows for this weekend toy although if i could find a deal that you never know i guess. How is the turbo vs non turbo reliability wise?

74M35A2

If the engine is in good running shape when you get it, then you'll never be able to wear it out. They are both pretty tough, especially when only driven to pick up milk and bread. Coolant can eat through the cylinder liners and such depending upon maintenance history, but engine durability regarding mechanical hard part design and construction is no issue with either.

turnkey

Great find and with the wife on board....Did you ask her when she was still alsleep????? The wife likes to look, touch, but not buy....Go figure....Have fun.

Great find and with the wife on board....Did you ask her when she was still alsleep????? The wife likes to look, touch, but not buy....Go figure....Have fun.
well the wife actually tooled around on these when she was a kid getting picked up around the army base and taken to school. I think its a little nostalgia but hey whatever works in my favor lol.

maverick50

Hey Fuzzy- I live in Colo and I have been bidding on some of your stuff. I am glad I found you on here. I was real interested in the A1 you have on ebay now but, Im thinking that a non turbo wouldn't be very good here in mile high land. What I would really like to have is an A2 with a hard top and cargo cover. You had a really good one in tan a few weeks ago and I missed it. Anything like that coming up? Thanks Maverick50

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Fuzzy- I live in Colo and I have been bidding on some of your stuff. I am glad I found you on here. I was real interested in the A1 you have on ebay now but, Im thinking that a non turbo wouldn't be very good here in mile high land. What I would really like to have is an A2 with a hard top and cargo cover. You had a really good one in tan a few weeks ago and I missed it. Anything like that coming up? Thanks Maverick50
Hi Maverick, I can't promote anything on this thread but I'll send you a PM. :driver:

lindsey97

I think $8,500 is a good price for truck that is mint condition and turn key. Fuzzy sells a lot of trucks......

I jumped into this hobby around may 2014 when there were no trucks being allowed out of government auctions and prices were sky high. I paid $11,900 for a clean Maine 1985 M923A1 rebuild, and some folks in the mv world rib me about it. It had no troop seat, cargo cover and is a soft top. Truck is new and very dependable, and 100% period correct. I love it, have no qualms about paying that much as I didn't buy it to sell it later.

I have driven both A1 and A2 versions and the A1 is definitely not at a disadvantage in terms of power. I have no preference in the motor dept. and will state that I would choose a very nice condition truck over one that needs repair/refurbishment.

I get 7 mpg in my NHC250, all stock and in good health.

I just bought a nice 1983 M923A0. It is a $3500 truck at best, but still a good dependable ride. I spent $1500 last week on rodding/vatting the radiator, new thermostat, antifreeze, and other small $20-40 parts trying to spruce it up. It runs cool now, and is going to work soon offroad hauling a water tank. It still needs seals in the rear ends and lots of other small labor intensive items fixed to make it perfect and leak free.

Keep in mind if you mud one of these or go play "submarine" , you need to grease it, and check/ change all the oil compartments. Changing the filters and fluids can exceed $500 easily not including labor. Also, 4 batteries will cost more than $600.

So the moral of the story is, if you find a clean truck with new tires(check the date codes on the sidewalls), new batteries, and fresh fluids/filters, and is already tagged/titled in the name of a private seller, then by all means consider purchasing it versus trying to get the price down or buying a cheaper truck from an auction. Getting a truck home from auction can sometimes be a challenge, and when a private seller has one you can inspect, drive and cross examine to your heart's desire. Cheaper may not be cheaper in the long run.......

If you do not get a truck purchased from Fuzzy, then feel free to contact me, I happen to know a fellow SS'er from AZ that will treat you right.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
**THIS** is what Lindsey97 is calling a $3500 truck. Everything works, it has about 1000 miles since last rebuild, no rust, and runs like a condemned soul escaping he'll. Oh, and he towed two other trucks at once with it, in Flint Hills....

I rate it closer to $7500....

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a list of like where to take it for engine repair,towing etc. in case I were to need it someday.

If you pay to have your truck worked on, you'll rapidly spend more on that than you do on truck acquisition. These are straightforward enough that you want to learn to do most of it yourself.

Towing - call a buddy with another 5ton and towbars. Bribe him with food. Or plan $650 or so per incident.

**THIS** is what Lindsey97 is calling a $3500 truck. Everything works, it has about 1000 miles since last rebuild, no rust, and runs like a condemned soul escaping he'll. Oh, and he towed two other trucks at once with it, in Flint Hills....

I rate it closer to $7500....
thats a nice rig. WHere did he pick it up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks