• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about m923a1

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the a0 use the super singles? Any advantage to the duels vs single?

Sure, switching from g177s to super singles is easy. Lindsey's truck pictured earlier in this thread was changed from G177s to super singles.

The advantage to the dual g177s is that you have 5 spares instead of one, and you don't have to immediately change a flat on the rear axles.

The super singles also rob you of some power by effectively increasing your gear ratio. By the same mechanism Super singles increase top speed, if you're willing to exceed the manufacturer's max speed.

Last edited:

lindsey97

Top speed with G177 duals: 57 mph @2150 rpm

Top speed with 14.00r20 super singles: 68 mph @2150 rpm. Do not exceed 55 mph because of tire speed ratings!

Top speed with 16.00r20 super singles: unknown because my fuzzy particulars aren't big enough yet. Do not exceed 55 mph because of tire speed ratings!

Of all the tire combos, I like the 14.00's the best. You can cruise very comfortably at 55 mph all day long, without redlining the engine, and achieve good fuel economy.

In order to "super single" a truck out, you have to purchase 40 more front style lug nuts to install the rear 4 tires/rims. There is a left side and a right side lug nut, with different threads. Lug nut size is 1.5", I have the specs and part # and will post them up later. When I recently switched my tan truck over from G177's to 16.00's supplied by 98G, I spent $169 at O'rielly's on 50 lug nuts. Easy to do if you have the right tools on hand.

A word about installing and running 16.00's: In order to install them you had better eat your Wheaties, and be a bad a** like 98G and not a small mere mortal like me, because they are heavy and will test your strength. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that installing them at midnight after driving all day from Ft. Riley will kick your butt.

I have noticed that the 16.00r20's do sap some of the power from the truck, compared to the 14.00's. I run a gear lower on some county roads, and control my upshifts manually sometimes. It really isn't that bad, but I can't say I would run the 16.00's all the time if I were working the truck loaded, or pulling a trailer in hills or such. But for a toy or daily driver doing short runs, the 16.00's are awesome and look very cool. And that's what matters isn't it?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I switched to 3958520 goodyear mv/t. Top speed on my rig with the nhc250 is 64. Tires are rated for 68. That is the main reason I went with the goodyears and the aggressive off road tread.
Camian / fmtv wheels on front with run flats and combat wheels with no run flats on back.
Very pleased with the results so far and great traction this summer in Mississippi sandy red clay wet slop where I worked.

I switched to 3958520 goodyear mv/t. Top speed on my rig with the nhc250 is 64. Tires are rated for 68. That is the main reason I went with the goodyears and the aggressive off road tread.
Camian / fmtv wheels on front with run flats and combat wheels with no run flats on back.
Very pleased with the results so far and great traction this summer in Mississippi sandy red clay wet slop where I worked.
how are the duels in off road conditions or even snow etc?

mattgunguy

In my opinion the g177's suck off road. I had better luck with the old NDT tires. I've been really happy with the michelin 395/85/r20 xml on our deuce. Haven't had the chance to off road the 5 ton with the 14.00x20 michelin xl tires yet. All of those will run better and wear better than the old NDT bias ply tires. I haven't had the chance to get a set of Goodyear's yet so I can't personally speak for then, but most seem to regard them well. It's also easier ( a relative term here ) and cheaper to single out a 939 over a deuce. Combat wheels for the 939's are cheaper most of the time than a3 wheels or adapter plates & MRAP wheels or recentered HEMTT wheels or custom wheels for a deuce.

In my opinion the g177's suck off road. I had better luck with the old NDT tires. I've been really happy with the michelin 395/85/r20 xml on our deuce. Haven't had the chance to off road the 5 ton with the 14.00x20 michelin xl tires yet. All of those will run better and wear better than the old NDT bias ply tires. I haven't had the chance to get a set of Goodyear's yet so I can't personally speak for then, but most seem to regard them well. It's also easier ( a relative term here ) and cheaper to single out a 939 over a deuce. Combat wheels for the 939's are cheaper most of the time than a3 wheels or adapter plates & MRAP wheels or recentered HEMTT wheels or custom wheels for a deuce.
i was looking at a 923a0 and it still had the duels on there. Hadnt seen alot of the 923 with the duels though so wondered if there was a reason lol.

mattgunguy

Just what they used at the time. I'm not sure is the singles even existed at the time the 939's where in development. Duals have they're uses. As stated before, you have 5 spares. The rear set can be used as an improvised winch if need be. I'm guessing that tactical thinking changed & that prompted the change to singles. That or some armchair general said they look cooler. I like the combat rims much more than the old split rims. I saw one of those rltake a guys head off when i was in a transportation unit in the army

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's no question that super singles are better off road.

G177s are an extremely capable tire by any reasonable measure. 42" with aggressive tread.

The thing about duals off road is you can get fist sized rocks between the duals and tear up a sidewall.

Any choice is a compromise. For use as a toy (which is what most of us use these things for), pick what you like - any of the tire configurations are more than adequate.

Cosmetically, just about everyone prefers the super singles, myself included. Although I just picked up a pretty nice M925 on G177s, and I'm going to leave it on G177s.

14R20s are drying up, being replaced by 395's. My intent is to switch my trucks on 14's to 395's as needed. Here's a pic of a M925A1 on 395's.

Attachments

mattgunguy

98G, do you get any better performance with the 395's on the 5ton? The 14.00's on mine are at about half tread so I've been looking for the next set. As you said 14.00s are drying up. As I said, I don't like the g177's & I'm worried about the extra weight with moving to 16.00's. I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone who has run 395's on their 5ton.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G, do you get any better performance with the 395's on the 5ton? The 14.00's on mine are at about half tread so I've been looking for the next set. As you said 14.00s are drying up. As I said, I don't like the g177's & I'm worried about the extra weight with moving to 16.00's. I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone who has run 395's on their 5ton.

That isn't my truck so I don't have firsthand info.
My understanding is that it's pretty much indistinguishable from the 14's. 46" vs 48".

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well i just won this lol http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/596405?h=4-22/6-22 hopefully its not a giant turd
I've been following the thread, nice truck rolling on G177s. You will not be disappointed. My 925 and 936 are both on G177s and they ride great. Plus the NHC250 is a proven powerplant, that truck will pull a house off the foundation. Make sure you get the operators manual and read it. Service and maintain your new acquisition and it will last forever. -and as for concerns with gas mileage, don't sweat it, they run on diesel fuel, and don't worry about mileage, worry about stopping distance. When you're ready to service it, upgrade the oil filter to a spin on filter adapter, I have them listed in the classified.
Have fun , be safe.
JC

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey gray, welcome to the 5 ton club! I was watching that auction and thought that truck looked pretty nice. I have a 1984 M923 that has super singles. I love the cummins nhc250. Do the engine dual fuel line modification as it seems to help smooth out the idle. Several threads about it on here. If you add the supers you will need to move the bed back to fit the spare in or modify the current tire holder. I have shoved mine in the holder but will be modifying it soon. Have fun and do a lot of reading in the TMs here.:driver:

Attachments

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey gray, I am still in the process of painting mine. I have completed pretty much everything forward of the bed and a few other items, back bumpers, mud flaps, etc. Haven't had time to complete yet. You can see the difference in the color between the bed and cab if you look close. I used Home Depot Bahr premium ultra. So for so good I guess. Paint in the shade if you can. Dries too quick in the sun.

Hey gray, I am still in the process of painting mine. I have completed pretty much everything forward of the bed and a few other items, back bumpers, mud flaps, etc. Haven't had time to complete yet. You can see the difference in the color between the bed and cab if you look close. I used Home Depot Bahr premium ultra. So for so good I guess. Paint in the shade if you can. Dries too quick in the sun.
Did you take the stuff off like hood etc or just paint with it on?