• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about m923a1

mattgunguy

As 98G said, find a friend with a tow bar. I spent $250 for a two mile tow on a m35a2. I bought a tow bar the next week. I would hate to see the tow bill for Arlington to Carrollton. Cost as much a a truck maybe. There are may friendly helpful members here in the DFW area.

mattgunguy

There are aftermarket keyed door handles & ignition switches available. Some weld a metal tab to the doors and cab to use a padlock on. I put a kill switch for the power on the floor & simply put the knob for that on a key chain.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're really lazy just leave it in Reverse and no one will drive off with it, heck, even you'll forget and break out the TM to find why it isn't starting. rofl

lindsey97

**THIS** is what Lindsey97 is calling a $3500 truck. Everything works, it has about 1000 miles since last rebuild, no rust, and runs like a condemned soul escaping he'll. Oh, and he towed two other trucks at once with it, in Flint Hills....

I rate it closer to $7500....
I will take that as a compliment. Truck was advertised as a non runner, and we soon found out that was not the case. Came with a full tank of diesel, clean oil in every compartment, and carried me home 343 miles with no issues other than running hot due to an internally plugged radiator. Transmission shifts smooth, and all lights functioned. A very pleasant surprise overall.

I purchased the truck from 98G and wanted to extend my gratitude for the awesome ride. Great guy to work with on a recovery, and he knows his way around the m939 series.

lindsey97

AND I did drag two other M939's towbarred together approx. 2 miles, before finding a decent LZ. So much for the Cummins NHC250 being slow weak or underpowered compared to the turbo 8.3l.

Well sadly I missed out on the truck my stupid eBay bid didn't register. So I'm still looking. Want something that doesn't need much of anything I don't have time to bring one back to life lol.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That I do a buddy said I should check them out but I don't really want manual anyway.
I generally prefer a manual transmission. That being said, I prefer the 939series over the M35. Brakes, power, and cruising speed.

Cruising speed is resolved on the M35 by MRAP rims. Power isn't that big of a deal since they're all gutless turds anyway. Brakes are a big deal, and not easily resolved unless you have a dual circuit airfarce truck....

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That I do a buddy said I should check them out but I don't really want manual anyway.
Ditto to what 98G said. I am a big deuce guy but the single circuit brakes on the M35s concern me too much to enjoy the ride sometimes (call it what you will) and they are all getting old. The M939s are an easier, faster, more capable truck to operate than a deuce and it won't leave your arms tired at the end of a trip thanks to the power steering. Even the A2 models can 10 mpg like the M35a2s and can carry twice as much. The list goes on but it's all here on SS for your research.

mattgunguy

I've got just the thing you need. Crew cab m35a2, with custom bed, MRAP wheels, stereo system, comfy seats. Soon to have an lds-465 with power steering. I'll only need a place to live if I sell it. These things are addictive. You'll start with one thing & end up with something totally different.

Attachments

MtnSnow

I prefer the Hardtops for the Winters we have in Utah. The softtops are much easier to deal with when wanted to drive around in a convertible truck. Also a hard top will last much longer when kept rust free.

Artisan

$8500 for a truck that is private party owned that has
been tested and has great tires and a new top is a BARGAIN.

Be sure to test the TC, remember NO LOW RANGE USE IN REVERSE, DO NOT DO IT.
Look at brakes for pad wear and uneven-wear.
If they all work in concert they should all be the same color (the drums, rears) .

Crawl under it and LOOK at stuff methodically.
Grab the draiveshafts and yank on them. Should be SOILD.

Pay a Mechanic for an opinion.

The A1 has the elephant motor, the A2 is the mouse motor.
If gas mileage bothers you, do not buy any of them.

Plus's and Minus's on all models.

What makes YOU happy? BUY IT.

I could have had anything. I went w/ the A1 series, w/ winch
an M925A1. Hold out for an M925A1 if you want a winch. It is a LOT
of work to add one. Just hold out till one comes along unless
you are REAL handy w/ a wrench and a glutton for punishment.

I drove mine today. LOVE IT. Well, the seats suck and the batteries
need to be moved out of the cab but it will happen. I have air ride seats
in stock for it and an M915 series battery box is now in stock to
move the batterys outside.

OH, the battery cables rub on the left rear of the engine block
on all A1 series trucks. Sliding thick rubber hose over the cables
in that area can help. When you look for this issue and and
you say " I can'r see anything" you are on the right track. :)

Been there, done that. Fix it BEFORE it ruins your days

$8500 for a truck that is private party owned that has
been tested and has great tires and a new top is a BARGAIN.

Be sure to test the TC, remember NO LOW RANGE USE IN REVERSE, DO NOT DO IT.
Look at brakes for pad wear and uneven-wear.
If they all work in concert they should all be the same color (the drums, rears) .

Crawl under it and LOOK at stuff methodically.
Grab the draiveshafts and yank on them. Should be SOILD.

Pay a Mechanic for an opinion.

The A1 has the elephant motor, the A2 is the mouse motor.
If gas mileage bothers you, do not buy any of them.

Plus's and Minus's on all models.

What makes YOU happy? BUY IT.

I could have had anything. I went w/ the A1 series, w/ winch
an M925A1. Hold out for an M925A1 if you want a winch. It is a LOT
of work to add one. Just hold out till one comes along unless
you are REAL handy w/ a wrench and a glutton for punishment.

I drove mine today. LOVE IT. Well, the seats suck and the batteries
need to be moved out of the cab but it will happen. I have air ride seats
in stock for it and an M915 series battery box is now in stock to
move the batterys outside.

OH, the battery cables rub on the left rear of the engine block
on all A1 series trucks. Sliding thick rubber hose over the cables
in that area can help. When you look for this issue and and
you say " I can'r see anything" you are on the right track. :)

Been there, done that. Fix it BEFORE it ruins your days
What mechanic could I take one of these too? I'm liking the idea of a winch but not seeing a lot of them that already have it but keeping my eye out. Th a2 is appealing because of its better gas mileage it's nearly double of the a1 and beter top speed I've read. But I'm not that picky whatever I can find a deal on that's nice lol. I'm still kinna sad I missed out on the orig one I posted about.