• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

repower with a screming detroit or possible big cam cummins?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: repower with a screming detroit or possible big cam cumm

Maybe a 6-71. The BC or NH, no way.

DanMartin

6-71 you're looking at 650-800+lbs/ft torque (depending on config of engine, turboed, etc). You'd need to put in a bigger transmission (the 3053 will not handle more than about what..400lbs/ft on a good day?). Then there's issues of space between this new trans and the x-fer case, which will probably also need to be swapped out due to the increased power issues.

You'd also have to tweak the governor on the engine to get the RPMs up enough for the low gearing in the deuce...they are typically limited to 2100rpm, would need to be adjusted to 2500 or so to get the speed up to something like the multi or gasser has.

...you see where this is leading. It's not as easy as just dropping it in. It's a whole bunch of things that need to be done to make it fit and work.

IMO: Install a pyro, turn up the pump on your multi and spend your money on better things.

Remember, when you're driving the deuce, it's easier for people to see how cool your ride is when it's going slower. :)

Jakob

The only thing I don't like about my stock, non-turbo multi is the acceleration. It leaves alot to be desired there, but other than that, I don't mind the 50-55mph speed limit. I imagine with a turbo and the fuel turned up some, it'd cure most of my acceleration woes.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As Dan mentions, there are lots of things a bout swaps that soak up time. Most swaps don't get completed, they take so long, and are best done in a well equipped shop. Days can be soaked up on just something small like the throttle linkage - getting it to work smooth. The Deuce shines best anyway, in low range.

Lee in Alaska

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: repower with a screming detroit or possible big cam

Jakob said:
The only thing I don't like about my stock, non-turbo multi is the acceleration. It leaves alot to be desired there, but other than that, I don't mind the 50-55mph speed limit. I imagine with a turbo and the fuel turned up some, it'd cure most of my acceleration woes.
Turbo it.

jwaller

Re: RE: repower with a screming detroit or possible big cam

WillWagner said:
Jakob said:
Turbo it.
ditto. turbo it and adjust the fuel and you will be very happy. kits can be found on ebay or sourced piece by piece on here.

res0wc18

so what is the reality of re powering with a 6v53 out of an old gmc truck that comes with the 5 spd tranny. What kind of power do they make? Weight and dimensions? I cant really find any information on them.

nhdiesel

With a Detroit, expect big, heavy, loud, and sucks a lot of fuel. For info on weights and HP numbers, check THIS PAGE.

I'd suggest a 5.9 Cummins for a nice usable engine. More power and torque than any of the multis, still a fairly small engine compared to many of the ones mentioned in other posts, and easy to install. You won't be lacking HP or torque with one. You will want to install a 3k GSK (3k rpm governor spring kit) to allow it to rev a bit higher, the 12v Cummins starts to defuel at around 2300 with around 2800 redline. A 3k kit will let it run all day at 2500-2600 rpms, with full power.

I've driven a few turbo multis in Deuces, and I imagine they are a big upgrade from a non-turbo, but they still lack for power on hills or when loaded.

As for the trans, it will handle a 5.9 Cummins, and most similar diesels just fine. The transmissions used in Dodge trucks are MUCH smaller and rated for far less, and pro drivers are pulling trailers over 20k lbs. all day, coast to coast. The ratings for truck transmissions are extremely conservative. There are many medium duty trucks with transmissions only rated for 400 lbs. of torque, moving 30-40k lbs. with Cat and Cummins engines. I was going to use a 3053a in my Dodge with a 580+ lbs. tq. Cummins, as an upgrade over the crappy auto trans.

Jim

WPNS421

An 8.2 Detroit with an Allison automatic I am pretty sure will fit in the M35. The Canadian deuce is an M35 and that is what is has. I know someone who has a few engines and transmissions. It would be an easy exchange because the electrical and cable hookups are quite similar. The Cdn deuce is exactly the same as the US m35 except for the motor and transmission.

charlietango

ditto what WPNS said. lots of surplus ones here now selling in various states of readiness. Im sure our Gov will not have a problem sending them state side. All of our equipment seems to get brokered out through this place in Ga . We cant buy our own MV's because we cant get them across the border. does that make ANY sense.

This would be your 'easiest' solution because it is all set up for the truck chassis and engine bay config.

WPNS421

The truck in my avatar is an M36C, basically a Cdn M35 with a Detroit/Allison automatic with single combat rim Michelins. What makes it a C Model is that the truck is equipped with a 2 arm Hiab crane that has 2 slide sections in the boom. On top of the boom is a hydraulic winch, which is great to lift something stright up. Also in the picture we had the tow bar attached and tied in the up position. In the box is a cage with 2 aluminum doors and on the inside there is 2 work benches and toolbox holders. The workshop interior is completely wired and will take 24V and 110V all plugged in from the rear and controlled by a fuse box. The truck was used by mechanics and weapons technicians to perform front line repairs.
The truck is almost identical to the US M35, the only big difference is engine and tranny, on our M35 we have installed a hard roof, tires and rims, seats and quite a few Cdn items. No retrofits simply remove old part install new one.
We have 3 running MLVWs(M35), we are going to repaint our trucks this winter.

res0wc18

So do you guys have any leads on some setups? Price?

What about some leads on complete trucks that already have them installed etc? What does a truck like yours go for up there wpns?

charlietango

check that link I posted . they have them state side along with our M113's and M578's. We cant buy them so you may as well. American government does not want us to have their equipment and Canadian government gives theirs to the states to sell... thus not allowing us to buy it. what a joke.

clip from that site "Canada’s assets are sold AS IS in wholesale lots. Historically, buying such assets directly from a government, this class of 6x6 has sold any where from less than US$2500 or bare bones basic vehicles in various stages of cannibalization to upwards of US$12,000 for the best available trucks just released from service. The average ‘as is’ price range current as of November 2008 is in the US$4,100 to about US$9,400 range. Quantities purchased in the lot often dictate the ultimate purchase prices almost as much as the condition of the vehicles.

You can expect to pay upwards of US$ 15,000+ for a reconditioned M Series 6x6 depending on the level of refurbishment. Many refurbishment firms offer varying degrees of service so this estimate is to be considered very subjective. The same truck may sell upwards of US$33,500 in a remanufactured state. Once again “remanufactured” is subjective and may vary from refurbishment firms so its best to get a clear understanding of what is included and what warranties might exist. If you want to go all the way with full refurbishment and upgrade to the Cumming engine, you can expect to pay in excess of US$40,000. But this class of vehicle should come with an engine warranty as well as virtually a zero hour chassis." http://www.smithtandl.com/services_canada_inventory_mseries6x6.html

http://www.smithtandl.com/services_canada.html

Last edited:

res0wc18

check that link I sent you . they have them state side along with our M113's. We cant buy them so you may as well.
im just looking for the motor and tranny and hopefully the stuff needed to make it work, because i have a nice bobbed duece that needs more power. You have any of those around that you can source?

in case anyone was wondering here is a good site about the canadian mlvw http://www.militarytrucks.ca/mlvw.htm

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks