• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

run ins with law enforcement

sailor2000

m-35tom said:
drove down I83 from harrisburg and around the baltimore beltway with "this" in the bed and tailgate hooked straight out as it is 14' long. no one said anything.
What is 'that' and where did you get it?

rmgill

Bill, I get your point there's just odd differences in cops when I've been stopped. In my case usually in the ferret (the DOT guys didn't even want to look at the truck for official reasons they were into the cool factor from the start).

The odd stop by the local county seat officers was really odd which made them seem VERY green. They blue lighted me when I knew I'd been driving legally and I suspect they didn't know the one violation I have on the vehicle (I do and I'm not telling). It was 2am and they were bored. I was trundling down the road in the ferret well under the speed limit, pulled up to a light to make a left and proceeded through the light (turn signal and all). As I was turning was when the blue lights came on and I pulled over into a nearby parking lot, shut it down, pulled myself halfway out of the drivers hatch (which was open) and waited. I then hear from one of the cruisers "Driver....climb out of...uhhh......the uhhhhh......turret!" So I climb BACK fully into the vehicle, slide the drivers seat back, then crawl out the turret past the dummy machine gun, walk out across the engine deck and drop to the ground from the back (about 4 feet) and wait with open hands where they can see them.

Only then did they get out of their cars. What struck me was that if I was a problem and I did have a machinegun, they weren't going to be protected by their cars AND they weren't going to get away. :) 7.62 out of a belt fed catches up with you faster than your Ford Caprice can back up. What then resulted was them checking EVERYTHING out. Tag, registration, insurance, concealed carry permit, then when they saw my handgun stowed, they both had to work on getting to it from outside the vehicle. One was more or less inserted through a hatch trying to reach it while the other ones was reaching through with his flashlight so the 1st could see it. Both had their backs to me for a good while and they hadn't done anything remotely like a frisk. *Face palm* Reaching their duty weapons would have been hard for both of them. I just stood there polite and cheerful as ever. :-D

Then, when they had the handgun finally out of the stowage spot, one asks me where I bought it and if its registered. :roll: "Sir, this is Georgia, they don't register handguns. Infact it's illegal for cities/counties to try per state law" (Silently thinking, don't they teach you this at the academy?) "I mean has it been checked to see if it's stolen?" "Well, not as far as I can tell though that's rather unlikely." "Who'd you get it from?" "A lawyer friend of mine, I'd expect him selling me a hot gun would be unlikely given the whole officer of the court thing." :) "Oh...right."

So they run the SN for that gun and nothing comes up. After that they're more or less out of official reasons they can see to justify the stop and after a little bit of polite small talk, they sort of hurry back to their cars and leave.

As I said, I called the night watch Sgt a few days later to ask when they'd been hired and she confirmed that they were VERY green and that they'd been commenting (laughing) about the radio chatter from them.

Here's the rule of thumb. If you're in a soft skin vehicle and you stop what looks like an armored combat vehicle with a machine gun. Either get out of your car and show some sand or just don't stop it. Because if there's a problem, however implausible, you have a snowballs chance in heck. Chances are there's never going to be a problem, especially if the vehicle is opened up and the driver pulls over as nicely and neatly as you can ask.

The whole episode was to me just amusing. It didn't piss me off and I understood that they were trying to do their jobs (where most officers more or less just look at the tag and then start asking the geek questions).

Heck, not long after I got it I rolled up to a light and the engine dies. I start to crank it over and it' doesn't quite get there, then I realize that the fuel has run to reserve. Crap!, I slide back reach for the tap, change positions on it, then try cranking again...And I can hear there crank effort go slower and slower an slower. Battery's dying, what the heck! So, hazard lights go on, and I get out to get the hand crank and proceed to start to try to hand crank it over, except I'm also having to run the fuel pump slowly to bring fuel up from the reserve to the carb and fill the float bowl (not easy). So, I'm sitting there hand cranking what to most people looks like a tank and I see a police car pull up behind me. The officer does this very long double take....then his lights go on and he walks up as I'm huffing and puffing trying to turn the engine over enough times to get it started. I stop and he asks what's going on, I explain and he just gets this amused and confused look on his face (Now he's seen EVERYTHING). So he calls in to radio (This is city of Atlanta Zone 6) that he has a tank stuck at the intersection of piedmont and monroe. I ask if I can go back to getting it started and he says sure, knock yourself out. Then about 2-3 minutes later the entire watch shows up because they CANNOT believe what they just heard on the radio. They all park on the side of the sidewalks, behind me, in nearby parking lots and all come over to look at the 'tank'. One even offers to assist with hand cranking but then gives up after about three tries. Then a Lt shows up and they all rush back to their cars and skeedadle. The one officer who's left then says he needs to get it towed (not impounded) because I'm blocking traffic and calls for a tow truck, I advise him of the weight. He calls in about the weight issue and of course what shows up is a BIG truck sized wrecker. I get him to pull start me and she starts up in about 60 feet of space and he pulls into a side lot and we unhook. Cost was $100 for the pull start. All in all, a funny episode.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In all the driving I do I've only been stopped once and it was in Deliveranceville GA after midnight on the way to Clinto's house fort he GA rally. The deputy approached me and advised me that there were no tags on the truck. I confirmed this with him as per FL law, I only have to present them on demand. He then asks what I do. Now I don't know if hes asking what I'm doing now or my occupation so I offer my occupation to him. After looking at my ID from my employer he states, "whay are they all from Broward County" and asks if I know a certain person. I advise him I do and he was my boss. Not bad considering we have 6300 employees. He spits almost on the running board of the deuce and sends me on my way. Pretty funny all in all.

Pappa-G

"Club event"

While heading north to go deer hunting, I was pulled over just north of the mackinaw bridge while flat towing a civilan jeep behind my Duce. After carefully going over the paper work and all the standard questions, the officer anounces that I am using the vehical illegaly and actually brought out the motor vehical code book. Pointed to a paragraph "It states right here with "Historic" plates you can drive in parades, car shows or to and from the mechanics." I politely agreed and pointed to the following paragraph which stated "or to and from CLUB events". I belong to a hunting club and this is my hunting truck. He laughed and said he would let me go with a warning. Nice guy just doing his job.

I did get pulled over by a "Barney Fife"while driving a LAV through town one time. It was funny as all hell. Once I came to a stop this guy got out and came up along the left side in a semi crouching position with one hand back on his opened holster. The TC and I were laughing so hard as we shut the thing down I dang near wet myself. When we got out we asked him why he pulled us over. His reply " Thought you might be Malitia or sumthin". The TC said "I didn't know that the "mailitia" could afford a 6 million dollar light armored vehical. And next time you pull over one of these "armored malitia" trucks you might want to grab your radio and call for back-up instead of your pistol."
He let us go without comment. :oops:

kcimb

Re: "Club event"

Pappa-G said:
While heading north to go deer hunting, I was pulled over just north of the mackinaw bridge while flat towing a civilan jeep behind my Duce. After carefully going over the paper work and all the standard questions, the officer anounces that I am using the vehical illegaly and actually brought out the motor vehical code book. Pointed to a paragraph "It states right here with "Historic" plates you can drive in parades, car shows or to and from the mechanics." I politely agreed and pointed to the following paragraph which stated "or to and from CLUB events". I belong to a hunting club and this is my hunting truck. He laughed and said he would let me go with a warning. Nice guy just doing his job.

I did get pulled over by a "Barney Fife"while driving a LAV through town one time. It was funny as all heck. Once I came to a stop this guy got out and came up along the left side in a semi crouching position with one hand back on his opened holster. The TC and I were laughing so hard as we shut the thing down I dang near wet myself. When we got out we asked him why he pulled us over. His reply " Thought you might be Malitia or sumthin". The TC said "I didn't know that the "mailitia" could afford a 6 million dollar light armored vehical. And next time you pull over one of these "armored malitia" trucks you might want to grab your radio and call for back-up instead of your pistol."
He let us go without comment. :oops:
You were driving an LAV-25?

:shock:

I think you met barney fife for real! Handgun against an armored vehicle? WOW! Stupidity.

Autocar

RE: Re: "Club event"

Have had more problems with non police. Was backing my halftrack into driveway one evening when a women roared up and slammed on her brakes skidding to a stop just short of the truck. She jumped out and started shouting at me about I almost just injured her kids. Then it was: is this thing legal? You can't drive this on the road, you shouldn't be allowed to own a tank, you are endangering citizens, etc., etc. I listened to her rant and rave for a few minutes, then I politely pointed out that if she slowed down and drove within the speed limit, it would be a lot safer for everyone. She went ballistic and screamed that she was going to call the police and then she roared off. Sure enough, 30 minutes later, police showed up. Looked at half track. He said "it's licensed, insured, and legally backing into a driveway-I don't see any problem here. By the way, what is this thing-it's really cool looking". Most people, even non-car or non-MV people, get a kick out ot the track because it is so weird looking. I do occasionally get nasty remarks about it though, but then, I live just over the hills from Berkeley and San Francisco. I suppose the only MVs they would like to see driving around would be Russion vehicles.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Re: RE: Re: "Club event"

Autocar said:
I do occasionally get nasty remarks about it though, but then, I live just over the hills from Berkeley and San Francisco. I suppose the only MVs they would like to see driving around would be Russion vehicles.
Or UN white and blue. :x

rmgill

I had a comment from someone about "is that legal?" and I responded "why does everything have to be explicitly legal? Shouldn't things be implicitly legal in a free society unless there's an overriding need for it to be illegal?" I got a cocked head from her and then a nod of agreement. I smiled back and she and her girlfriend walked off. :wink:

Scrounger

I’ve put more than a few more miles on the road and mostly it has been waves, smiles or at the fuel stations questions. However I did have on encounter with “Barry Fife” one and two.
A couple of years ago I went to a friends place on the water for 4th of July. Normally we just park in the grass around the house; however it had just rained before I got there so I parked on the road in front of the house. Now one has to realize that the road dead ends at the water and there are houses pretty much paired up on either side a good half mile from the water and parking on the road is completely legal. I got there around 2 in the afternoon and after the usual cookout and socializing we cleaned up the place and were just about to leave, and this was around 10, when on the counties finest stopped on the road some 1000 feet up the from the water. Now he has all the lights on and is in front of one of the houses up the road and starts with the come out with your hands up routine. Now those of us that were trying to leave were blocked by this “mess” up the road so we just sat on the porch and looked at the water and socialized some more.
Well about an hour later we could hear the tires of cars coming down the road and two cruisers pulled up in front of my 54. Out of the cruisers step two officers. It seemed to be the senior officer that did all the talking, the usual does anyone know who owns this truck, etc. I said yes it’s mine is there some problem officer? It is registered as you see from the tag on it. At which point in time he goes into this well we couldn’t see that till I got here. At that point in time the other officer would have liked to crawl under a rock. The one doing the talking said someone had called in on a military truck parked on the road. After that they got in their cars and left with the tails between the legs.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
other than a curious cop in a wal-mart parking lot who was suspicious as to why something like an M35 would be there at 9PM, never had any imperial entanglements.

FreightTrain

Banned
Dang it,Why can't I live in a place where the cops are a little on the crazy side.Only run in I have had was non-MV related.Independance day several years ago me and my paw decided to go blow something up(aka-Shoot guns at the range).Well,As you know.I own a LOT of guns and some really big and strange ones.My neighbor saw up loading gun after gun and ammo can after ammo can into the truck.Finally,when done,we loaded ourselves into the truck just in time to see a cop round the corner a block up from us.Looked behind me and saw another one round behind me.....Didn't think anything of it and proceeded to pull off.Got about 10 feet before the felony stop deal.well,it wasn't just 2 cars it turned out to be 4.Getting out,they asked for us to step away from the vehicle and provide ID.Then they asked if we had any weapons in the vehicle......WRONG QUESTION!Yea,a BUNCH!Opened the back door(Crew cab) and I think there was 5 or 6 laying there on the seat along with the fifty with the muzzle pointed right at the cop....hee hee hee,well,after all the calling in BS they said someone called the 50 about us raising hell with assault weapons.There was one guy though that did have the Barney Fyfe syndrom.He stood back the entire time with his hand close to his gun eye balling us both while the other 3 officers just trotted around shooting the spit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks