• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw This on a Diesel Heater Forum

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fired up my M1010 heater in 20* weather. In about 10 minutes I was sweating. When they say it's rated for arctic conditions, they're not kidding. The amount of heat it put out, even on low, was too much.. The noise/amp draw was only a secondary reason for wanting to ditch it..
The noise, amp draw, as well as the fuel consumption were reasons for myself.

coachgeo

The noise, amp draw, as well as the fuel consumption were reasons for myself.
is that an air heater or a coolant heater with heater coil to blow heat out?

Just some out of the box thinking if it was coolant... . one could suck some of the heat out before the heater coil by heating a hot water tank, and/or a thermal battery (wood stove bricks) for use as instant hot water device, heat the engine, the battery compartment, the cab, the compost toilet (speeds actual composting.), ..... then the habitat's heater coil???.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Just some out of the box thinking if it was coolant... . one could suck some of the heat out before the heater coil by heating a hot water tank, and/or a thermal battery (wood stove bricks) for use as instant hot water device, heat the engine, the battery compartment, the cab, the compost toilet (speeds actual composting.), ..... then the habitat's heater coil???.
The M1010 heater is a diesel fired air heater.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The Planar I have is a air heater. They also make heaters for liquid as well.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear the potential downside with them is if you want hot water, you get hot air though.
The coolant heaters only heat a liquid. You could add a air / liquid heat ex-changer inline with a fan for heat and control flow to it with valves. Then use a liquid / liquid heat ex-changer to heat water. You could also use a liquid / liquid heat ex-changer circulating coolant to heat water in a tank while your engine is running.

ramdough

I plan on a diesel water heater with in floor radiant heating. I will also have a small radiator with a computer style fan to warm the air if the radiant floor is heating too slow. This setup should be nearly silent when inside.

I am a big fan of mostly single fuel, but I will also have a Honda generator because I am a bigger fan of quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at this website for all kinds of Diesel Air / Water heater experiments and tests.

I am currently experimenting with installing one of the Chinese Diesel/Air heaters in my Helmet Top.

I only saw the knockoff air/water heaters for a very short time, and they were ~$300. That video was from 3 years ago, which is around the time I was seeing a couple.

Would be a good option for in-floor heating, IMO.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You fail.

That's just a water heater, not an air/water heater.. :p

They do make heat exchangers for them, though.. So you could just add what amounts to a radiator and a fan to it.
You're right, I've failed... I guess a heater core and a fan are difficult to come up with as a cheaper alternative. Moving on.

coachgeo

Your sarcasm detector must be broken :p
not really, sensed it... but felt it is more misplaced as you might think; cause reality is the air AND coolant heaters are rare.. and helping reduce the chip on shoulder will make it easier to accept that the odds are you will likely going to end up with either one or the other and not a diesel heater that does both*.... |

Once the reality sets in that; what it seems you consider a Lemon design; is likely all your going to be able to get.... offered a solution on making the Lemon into lemonade. Which IMHO was likely the others points as well.

* Duel heat units IMHO are rare cause may well be that they dont work well.. or worse.... just work poorly...... That may be the case cause two ways to extract heat... may well extract TOO MUCH heat. As in the part of process for complete combustion of this type of unit needs to use some of its own heat to create combustion to keep it all going... if too much heat is being pulled out mid stream..... then combustion is inefficient. ... so its a never ended battle to keep good combustion going with out a complete re-design, re manufacturer tooling, all new computer controls etc. Making it expensive enough ... Corp. fear is it simply wont sell. Besides...... you can also just buy two..... one for coolant.. one for air... manufacture does not have to create a whole new product if folk do that as well.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not really, sensed it... but felt it is more misplaced as you might think; cause reality is the air AND coolant heaters are rare.. and helping reduce the chip on shoulder will make it easier to accept that the odds are you will likely going to end up with either one or the other and not a diesel heater that does both*.... |

Once the reality sets in that; what it seems you consider a Lemon design; is likely all your going to be able to get.... offered a solution on making the Lemon into lemonade. Which IMHO was likely the others points as well.

* Duel heat units IMHO are rare cause may well be that they dont work well.. or worse.... just work poorly...... That may be the case cause two ways to extract heat... may well extract TOO MUCH heat. As in the part of process for complete combustion of this type of unit needs to use some of its own heat to create combustion to keep it all going... if too much heat is being pulled out mid stream..... then combustion is inefficient. ... so its a never ended battle to keep good combustion going with out a complete re-design, re manufacturer tooling, all new computer controls etc. Making it expensive enough ... Corp. fear is it simply wont sell. Besides...... you can also just buy two..... one for coolant.. one for air... manufacture does not have to create a whole new product if folk do that as well.
My comment was merely pointing out that he said that heaters are still out there that do both, then linked to one that only did ONE as his cite/proof. We both know they're out there still, just pretty rare, as they were a relatively short-lived phenomenon in the CDH (Chinese Diesel Heater) community, and obviously didn't sell well if even the Chinese are like 'we ain't makin' these no mo'.... :D It'd be no different than saying I can still get strawberry-banana now and laters, then posting a link to just banana now and laters..... Not the same thing, and doesn't support the argument :D I was following up on that facetiousness with an obviously sarcastic comment about heat exchangers being 'unobtanium'.. C'mon man!

But, back to the topic at hand...

The other issue, as mentioned, with neither liquid nor air getting heated sufficiently, is the intent for each. One is designed to heat fluid (usually coolant, as pointed out) and the other to heat a sleeping/sitting area.. So, it's very possible to have the interior too hot, shutting it down, and letting the coolant get too cold, or running it unnecessarily long to heat the inside, and cooking off the coolant.. Although, presumably, the aforementioned issue of shedding too much heat may negate that issue.

I'm on the fence with fuel fired coolant heaters, although I know some .mil vehicles are equipped with them. But, I see every joint, connection, attachment, etc as another potential point of failure....and while things like heated flooring (RV/camper scenario) and warm starts in sub freezing temps sound great, I also see it as above - a potential horror story with one of the few things that are NEEDED for a vehicle to operate, leaking all over the ground after something failed.

To be honest, I'd probably get one, and have shutoffs directly after the T to the stock system, so in the event of a failed/leaking heater, it can be removed from the circuit. Then a small heat exchanger. Nothing like pressing a button, an hour or so before you leave, and getting into a nice toasty cab with an engine that spins over like it's a spring afternoon...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks