• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scavenging Fuel - Can a Deuce Do It?

Unforgiven

You guys are making the apocalypse too difficult. Forget about the Deuce.

Just go back to steam-powered cars. Burn wood, coal, garbage, whale blubber, zombie limbs, whatever.

Sure it's smaller and slower. But unless the sun goes out it'll always have fuel. Wood vapors work as well when adapted to regular engines.

Wood Car - Part 3 on Vimeo
Beaver Energy Wood Burning Car on Vimeo
Stanley Vanderbilt Racer at the 2009 Newport Hill Climb. on Vimeo
Rolly Evans seen running his Stanley EX on Vimeo

Steam Car Club videos

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It must be hard to walk with balls that big. :shock: :shock:
WM:
Did you notice he was only "crawling" once he was dropped off :?:

=====

My dad had a fear of heights, but always attented and marvelled at any sort of parachute demonstrations. His favorite "random comment" while standing it the crowd watching the brithtly colored smoke trails from a HIGH altitude....

"I wouldn't need one of those smoke bombs on MY leg if that was me...
...I'd have a thick BROWN STREAM following me the whole way down."

I afraid that my sphincter cinches up every time I see that video. I must be my father's son, huh?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not hard at all :mrgreen:
Several thoughts come to mind....

1. Talk to your wife/partner about THAT !
2. Consult your doctor/urologist.
3. You should consider long exposures to temperatures below 32F/0C for that "hard as ice" affect.
4. Little Blue Pill - V I A G R A
5. Have you considered the Priesthood? A vow of celebacy?
6. Try his job WITHOUT the Faraday Suit and see if that helps :shock:
7. Maybe, just MAYBE you meant to type.... "It's not DIFFICULT at all." .... that would have saved me a whole buncha typin' [thumbzup]

wb1895

Several thoughts come to mind....

1. Talk to your wife/partner about THAT !
2. Consult your doctor/urologist.
3. You should consider long exposures to temperatures below 32F/0C for that "hard as ice" affect.
4. Little Blue Pill - V I A G R A
5. Have you considered the Priesthood? A vow of celebacy?
6. Try his job WITHOUT the Faraday Suit and see if that helps :shock:
7. Maybe, just MAYBE you meant to type.... "It's not DIFFICULT at all." .... that would have saved me a whole buncha typin' [thumbzup]

Oops...........:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Yeah, but where's the fun in that????:mrgreen: Just wouldn't be the same driving a Stanley Steamer................

LC

Just go back to steam-powered cars. Burn wood, coal, garbage, whale blubber, zombie limbs, whatever.

Sure it's smaller and slower. But unless the sun goes out it'll always have fuel. Wood vapors work as well when adapted to regular engines.

Steam Car Club videos

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Steam Car Club videos
I have long been an admirer of STEAM POWER, but have always relegated its application to Locomotives rather than Automobiles and Trucks simply because of the marginal efficiency factor and its exponential improvement as scale increases.

However, when you factor in the possible survival inspiring retrograde away from internal combustion powerplants (for lack of refined fossil fuels) then Steam Power using coal or organic fuels DOES approach justification.

Thanks for "thinking outside the box"... or in this case... outside the combustion chamber/cylinder. [thumbzup] GOOD JOB, Soldier :jumpin:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How about a steam/electric hybrid?

Use a steam engine coupled to a genny to produce electricity (ran on waste oil) to either run a small vehicle (pickup would be be best since you could mount the engine in the bed) or charge batteries for an all electric vehicle.

The problem is that small steam engines are not all that efficient in relationship to fuel used to energy produced.

If you were using wood as fuel you would probably be better off using wood gassification to run an internal combustion engine.

It might be possible to run a multi-fuel off wood gas....not sure on that.

I know that during WWI and WWII both sides (England and Germany) used coal gassification to produce synthetic liquid fuel.

If you had access to a stockpile of coal and the mechanical and chemical knowledge you might be able to cobble together a gassification system.

A

A/C Cages

I have blueprints on how to turn a old carb run vehicle into a fire wood run one.

I plan in doing this to an old Chevy PU thats been siting around rusiting away here. Using old water heaters, copper tubing, ect its pretty simple plans. I think with all the odd things I had to buy was only $30. Everything else was scraps.

Makes me wonder if I could also turn a Deuce into one also??

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of them are plastic and can be opened easily with a cordless drill with a big bit.
I'd be real carefull using a drill near a gas tank, most are open brush. I see them and sparks on my 18v black and decker... I also agree that you shouldn't damage a vehicle unless you have to be quick, or there are plenty. You never know when you might need it or a part off it.

At that point, no one will be making anymore of anything, so treat everything like it was valuable.

Another thought that came to my mind is rail cars full of veggie and other flammables....Archer Daniel Midland ships whole trains of tanker cars full of veggie oil. That much oil would last a long time and could be used for other uses than fuel since it is food grade oil.

This would depend on where you found it and if you could maintain control of it.

If the grid goes down I'm not sure what would happen to the railroads.....do modern diesel engines have computer control? I know there is an elaborate ground trraffic control system for trains to keep track of them and that knocking out communications would disrupt that. There may be trains stranded out in the boonies just waiting to be scavenged.

It is amazing how tied together all these systems are. One domino falls and takes the rest with it.
Go ahead Richard, give away all the secrets of how I'm getting around when SHTF. Why do you think I own MV railcars? Hmmm???? lol.

Depends on what happens, and how quick it happens. If it is a slow decline, most of the trains will probably be sidelined in yards and such as the railroad starts to lack crews when people leave to take care of their families. If it is sudden, there will be stranded trains in some places, where the engine broke down or the crew stops it to fend for themselves.

Get a Hazmat guide out of any emergancy vehicle, or get one now from someone. I have some outdated ones I will bring to the next rally for those who want one. All hazmat shipments, must be clearly labeled. With this book, you look up the number on the placard, and it will tell you what it is. No burning the flesh off your face thinking you found 20k of fuel...

Almost all modern locomotives are microprocessor controlled, with digital read outs. No gauges. Those would be absolute crap if an EMP event happened.

Lucky for us, about 25% of the locomotives built in the early years of diesels (late 30's to early 50's) are still around, and probably 15% are still kicking. (how's that for service life?) You'll find these at museums and shortline railroads.

One question I don't know is, would even they stand up to EMP? They are relay logic controlled, and they have huge generators and traction motors. Would those be damaged by an EMP? They are all steel and sitting on thousands of miles of rail, effectivly 'grounding' the engine frame and car body, so the only way to know, would be if one happens. Some of the older diesel engines were also used in marine service, so there are AIR starters that bolt up. So even if the batteries are fried, if you had some tanks of air or even a small compressor, you could fire one up.

Best bet, if you wanted to go moble, knew someone with the skills and had an engine near by, you could travel vast distances with a steam locomotive. Talk about a multifuel. You would just want a smaller, older hand fired one. If you can make it fit in the firebox, you can burn it. Have a steam powered pump on the tender, and just drop a hose off every bridge you come to with water under it.

Again, I agree that either staying put for awhile or traveling to a predetermined/setup hidey-hole and staying put there would be the best bet. But situations change, so that's why the option of being mobile has to be there.

A normal diesel will burn blends, I don't care who says you can't. I regularly burn WMO, JP-8, WVO, diesel, etc blends in my '04 dodge 2005. I clean it, test it, and blend until it comes out as close to diesel as possible. I get 31mpg in this truck, with no modifications. With the 35gal stock tank, and 75gal bed tank, I could go 3400+ miles on the 110gal I could have onboard.

transman

The ol' 1008 burns real fuel ,veggie ,transformeroil, (no pcbs) alittle wmo & gas or a combo of any of the above. Some mixtures produce more power than others but the 6.2 doesen't seem to mind much. at 100K+ longevety does not seem to be compromised too much. Had more than that on my older truck and parked it when the IP shaft seal took a dump at over 200K

rolling18

Hey Coldwarrior,

I Think Josh was right on target. In the scenario you spoke of, you will not be wanting to be standing around waiting for fuel to load into you truck in slow motion. You will want to get it and back out drawing as little attention as you can. The military Fuel Transfer Pumps are just the ticket. They plug right into the side of your Deuce (24 volt) and will fill you up right now (35 GPM). They will pull fuel up from an under ground tank no sweet. They are light weight and easy to transport and handle. You will have to keep an eye out on GL, but they are there, and they are worth the effort. Picked five up from Ft. Carson some time back, four had not ever been used. The cost was around the three hundred dollar range. Each of my friends now have one in their Deuce for any needed calling. GOOD INVESTMENT. I believe in having fuel, I can carry up to 180 Gal in the Deuce and up to 50 Gal more in the trailer. With no fuel, all you have is a cool looking ornament.
did you get the self priming pump or then non self priming pump.?
Will button on self priming pump also lift oil?
Which of those types have you actually used?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks