• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sending my Deuce to Organizational Maintenance Unit (a.k.a. Jeepsinker)

m715mike

It's time to bring her home!!!

I picked up a rental car this evening and I'm headed to Jeepsinker's in the morning. The plan is to drive my truck home with archmark's M105 in tow.

Somebody distract Murphy for me!

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's time to bring her home!!!

I picked up a rental car this evening and I'm headed to Jeepsinker's in the morning. The plan is to drive my truck home with archmark's M105 in tow.

Somebody distract Murphy for me!
Safe travels & may Murphy get a flat & miss his appointment with you. :clinto::driver:

Has anyone put 395s on the M105? That gives you two extra spares.

Last edited:

m715mike

I managed to make it home safely. On the trip home, my new engine tried to runaway... TWICE!!

After reading below, please feel free to post with your conjecture and advice. While you are doing that, I'm going to remove the rest of the seat cushion from my backside.

I drove roughly 200 miles today on my new engine with a M105 trailer in tow. The trailer had a tarp.

Ignoring the fact that it tried to runaway twice, the new engine run very smoothly but very sluggish. For the first half of the trip, I had 30psi of oil pressure (the gauge didn't move off of 30psi) and the temp gauge was pointing straight up. The engine struggled to build power in 5th gear. I could get to 2,000 rpms in 5th gear, but going beyond that only happened when there was a long, flat straightaway. If road conditions were agreeable, I could eventually get up to 2,300 rpms, which was 60-61 mph. I could not accelerate past 2,300 rpms in 5th gear.

After lunch things improved slightly. Oil pressure increased closer to 60 psi, but never got to 60 psi. The temperature increased slightly. I still had power issues in 5th gear, but I did notice minor improvements. I was able to get to 2,400 rpms once.

The first engine runaway attempt occurred when I was about 2/3 of the way home (just east of Cleveland, Texas). I had just left a stop sign and was going through the gears and building speed. I hit 4th gear and the engine rpms took-off! At first I thought I screwed something up, then I realized it wasn't me causing the spike in rpms. In a knee-jerk reaction, I pulled the engine stop cable (possibly breaking it). That slowed the engine down to an idle. I pulled onto the shoulder and stalled the truck to kill the engine. Following Jeepsinker's advise, I followed the engine stop cable to the cover on the side of the engine block. I removed the cover and confirmed that the lever inside was moving freely. I put the cover back on, fired-up the truck and continued home.

It happened again about 45 minutes later. Same scenario. I was building speed after a stop sign. I had just shifted into 3rd or 4th gear (I don't remember which) and the engine rpms took-off again. I pulled the engine stop cable and the engine stopped. I coasted onto the shoulder and called Jeepsinker again (I really want to thank him for all of the support today!). I was only 15 miles from home and decided to limp it home.

My engine was rebuilt in 1992. After the rebuild, the engine was put through a test run. It came with several pages of documentation from that test run. Jeepsinker noticed that there was still fuel in the engine when he put it in my truck. Presumably, the fuel is from 1992! His guess is that the fuel turned to varnish causing the runaway issues today.

My plan is to fix or replace the engine stop cable and then run the engine with a fuel treatment (Seafoam, Diesel Kleen, etc.).

What else should I consider?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it home safely. No idea on the runaway unless the accelerator linkage system is sticking or the throttle return spring is not contracting as it should when you let off during shifting.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I managed to make it home safely. On the trip home, my new engine tried to runaway... TWICE!!

After reading below, please feel free to post with your conjecture and advice. While you are doing that, I'm going to remove the rest of the seat cushion from my backside.

I drove roughly 200 miles today on my new engine with a M105 trailer in tow. The trailer had a tarp.

Ignoring the fact that it tried to runaway twice, the new engine run very smoothly but very sluggish. For the first half of the trip, I had 30psi of oil pressure (the gauge didn't move off of 30psi) and the temp gauge was pointing straight up. The engine struggled to build power in 5th gear. I could get to 2,000 rpms in 5th gear, but going beyond that only happened when there was a long, flat straightaway. If road conditions were agreeable, I could eventually get up to 2,300 rpms, which was 60-61 mph. I could not accelerate past 2,300 rpms in 5th gear.

After lunch things improved slightly. Oil pressure increased closer to 60 psi, but never got to 60 psi. The temperature increased slightly. I still had power issues in 5th gear, but I did notice minor improvements. I was able to get to 2,400 rpms once.

The first engine runaway attempt occurred when I was about 2/3 of the way home (just east of Cleveland, Texas). I had just left a stop sign and was going through the gears and building speed. I hit 4th gear and the engine rpms took-off! At first I thought I screwed something up, then I realized it wasn't me causing the spike in rpms. In a knee-jerk reaction, I pulled the engine stop cable (possibly breaking it). That slowed the engine down to an idle. I pulled onto the shoulder and stalled the truck to kill the engine. Following Jeepsinker's advise, I followed the engine stop cable to the cover on the side of the engine block. I removed the cover and confirmed that the lever inside was moving freely. I put the cover back on, fired-up the truck and continued home.

It happened again about 45 minutes later. Same scenario. I was building speed after a stop sign. I had just shifted into 3rd or 4th gear (I don't remember which) and the engine rpms took-off again. I pulled the engine stop cable and the engine stopped. I coasted onto the shoulder and called Jeepsinker again (I really want to thank him for all of the support today!). I was only 15 miles from home and decided to limp it home.

My engine was rebuilt in 1992. After the rebuild, the engine was put through a test run. It came with several pages of documentation from that test run. Jeepsinker noticed that there was still fuel in the engine when he put it in my truck. Presumably, the fuel is from 1992! His guess is that the fuel turned to varnish causing the runaway issues today.

My plan is to fix or replace the engine stop cable and then run the engine with a fuel treatment (Seafoam, Diesel Kleen, etc.).

What else should I consider?
I got nothing to offer that is insightful. very glad you made it home and had quick reactions with "engine stop". Eagerly awaiting further information. I might of soiled myself if the serious pucker factor didn't kick in first on the first runaway. Holy Spirit was.with you for sure, today!

m715mike

I got nothing to offer that is insightful. very glad you made it home and had quick reactions with "engine stop". Eagerly awaiting further information. I might of soiled myself if the serious pucker factor didn't kick in first on the first runaway. Holy Spirit was.with you for sure, today!

I actually took a pucker factor gauge along today just incase. As it turns out, my pucker factor measured 9.4381! rofl :driver:

Yes, Sir. It was by the grace of God that I made it home safely!

red

Take some PB blaster to the throttle linkage, work it back and forth repeatedly. Running some seafoam (or B12, same stuff) through the fuel system will help.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the simple things too.

I had a problem with one of the 931s a couple of weeks ago. I took it to a show, and noticed the accelerator was feeling a bit stiff. On the way home, it was sticking pretty badly when I let off on it, getting progressively worse. For the last few miles I had to reach down and manually pull the pedal up each time I stopped. Fortunately, I was out of Austin traffic by then. If it had done this in town, I'd have pulled over and towed it home.

The next morning I went out to troubleshoot it, and the pedal was frozen, would not even budge a fraction.

Fearing dire and expensive repairs, I started taking things apart and checking various items of linkage. Much to my surprise, it turned out to be the pedal itself! It had locked up completely. Neither I nor anyone I've talked to, has ever seen this. I can only suppose that something caused galvanic corrosion between the steel pin and alloy pedal, and that last trip was it's final gasp.

I replaced it with the pedal taken from a 1966 parts deuce, which works just fine despite being 50 years old. (Yes, same part # for both trucks, the connecting rod for the 931 is slightly longer)

May your issues be as simple.

Cheers

PS- somewhere I have a brand new, still in the factory bag, throttle pedal. But could I find it??? :evil:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the simple things too.

I had a problem with one of the 931s a couple of weeks ago.....

Fearing dire and expensive repairs, I started taking things apart and checking various items of linkage. Much to my surprise, it turned out to be the pedal itself! It had locked up completely. Neither I nor anyone I've talked to, has ever seen this. I can only suppose that something caused galvanic corrosion between the steel pin and alloy pedal, and that last trip was it's final gasp.

I replaced it with the pedal taken from a 1966 parts deuce, which works just fine despite being 50 years old. (Yes, same part # for both trucks, the connecting rod for the 931 is slightly longer)

May your issues be as simple.

Cheers

PS- somewhere I have a brand new, still in the factory bag, throttle pedal. But could I find it??? :evil:
Glad it was an easy fix. :-D

DavidWymore

I added some to my '70 on gimp's suggestion, since it had sat and possibly had gummy fuel in the IP. I think I added a can of seafoam to a 1/4 tank or so. Made her purr like a kitten. That, adjusting the valves, turning up the fuel and idle, she's a much smoother, quieter, more powerful truck.

I don't know if I would use it regularly, probably lean more towards adding a lubricant to the fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks