• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sending my Deuce to Organizational Maintenance Unit (a.k.a. Jeepsinker)

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take some PB blaster to the throttle linkage, work it back and forth repeatedly. Running some seafoam (or B12, same stuff) through the fuel system will help.
Can you put Seafoam into the box (Hydraulic Head Assembly) where the fuel shutoff linkage connects to? Would that do any good to keep it from sticking?

I'm definitely going to put a bottle of Seafoam into my Deuce when I pick it up next month to bring it home. Couldn't hurt.

Last edited:

rustystud

Check the simple things too.

I had a problem with one of the 931s a couple of weeks ago. I took it to a show, and noticed the accelerator was feeling a bit stiff. On the way home, it was sticking pretty badly when I let off on it, getting progressively worse. For the last few miles I had to reach down and manually pull the pedal up each time I stopped. Fortunately, I was out of Austin traffic by then. If it had done this in town, I'd have pulled over and towed it home.

The next morning I went out to troubleshoot it, and the pedal was frozen, would not even budge a fraction.

Fearing dire and expensive repairs, I started taking things apart and checking various items of linkage. Much to my surprise, it turned out to be the pedal itself! It had locked up completely. Neither I nor anyone I've talked to, has ever seen this. I can only suppose that something caused galvanic corrosion between the steel pin and alloy pedal, and that last trip was it's final gasp.

I replaced it with the pedal taken from a 1966 parts deuce, which works just fine despite being 50 years old. (Yes, same part # for both trucks, the connecting rod for the 931 is slightly longer)

May your issues be as simple.

Cheers

PS- somewhere I have a brand new, still in the factory bag, throttle pedal. But could I find it??? :evil:
That is not an uncommon problem. The over-road trucks and busses get this problem all the time. Water from your shoe gets on the pedal and eventually causes corrosion on the pin and anchor. I have replaced over 20 pedal mechanisms on our busses. In fact they rebuild them in the downtown repair center since it is such a common problem. Just think back, when was the last time you lubed the pedal anchor pin ? Like most everyone in the world you will probably say never. I actually do lube mine since I know what can happen having seen the results of a frozen pin. I normally use "Marine Grade" anti-seize on the pin.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll admit to "never", prior to this one. I did work some lube into it before installation.

In my defense though, the reason it never occurred to me to lube them was because I can go to a scrap 1966 truck and take out a 50 year old pedal and have it work like new. No one I know has ever had one seize up (and that covers a LOT of trucks!).

But old dogs can learn new tricks. If you'll excuse me now, I have a bunch of pedals to lube... ;)

Cheers

rustystud

I'll admit to "never", prior to this one. I did work some lube into it before installation.

In my defense though, the reason it never occurred to me to lube them was because I can go to a scrap 1966 truck and take out a 50 year old pedal and have it work like new. No one I know has ever had one seize up (and that covers a LOT of trucks!).

But old dogs can learn new tricks. If you'll excuse me now, I have a bunch of pedals to lube... ;)

Cheers
We'll cut you some slack since your from a warm climate area and I'm sure don't have the rust issues others up North must deal with. Up here in the rain forests of Washington it is a very common thing to have happen.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to hit the throttle linkage with PB Blaster and add Seafoam to the fuel tank.

How often do you use Seafoam (i.e., every fill-up or every few months)?
My engine got stuck going through the gears. The pin in the throttle pedal had seized right up. I ended up taking the whole assembly out and apart, chucked the pin in a drill and lightly polished it (be careful not to get the serrations that hold it in) and added a little oil. Smooth as silk now.

m715mike

I followed the suggestions that were posted and put another 100 plus miles on my Deuce this weekend. It ran well without any issues. I even noticed more power after 70 miles of running with Seafoam in the tank. I'll post a better description and more detail when I get a free minute.

Jeepsinker

I suppose I should've posted long ago that the throttle linkage was nice and free when I installed the engine. And I think I may have even installed a new throttle return spring, but I may not have. It's been a while now.

m715mike

Two days ago I changed the oil, oil filters and all three fuel filters. I believe this completes the mission, which I am calling a success!!

To recap, my truck left home on March 9, 2016 headed to Jeepsinker with a rebuilt engine in the bed. The initial guess was a bad rod bearing (just going by the sound Jeepsinker could hear over the phone). After sticking his M936 several times in his own yard, Jeepsinker quickly diagnosed a blown head gasket on my truck. It was also evident that the injection pump and turbo were on their last legs. At this point, we agreed that the best path forward would be to swap engines. The rebuilt engine (in a shipping can) from GL cost me $750 plus fees and transportation from CA to TX. Using the new engine seemed more economical than buying a head gasket, injection pump, a turbo and who knows what else for my old engine. Jeepsinker promised that my truck would be ready in time for the 2016 Texas Rally, and he got after it! Despite weather delays and other obstacles beyond his control, Jeepsinker made good on his promise.

On March 24, I drove my POV out to see Jeepsinker and my truck. I also brought supplies like John Deere Break-in Oil and coolant. I got to spend a couple hours there and turn a wrench or two before rushing home. Also, I drug a M1101 home with me that day for fuzzytoaster.

The new engine in my truck fired to life on March 28 and Jeepsinker took it for a test drive on March 29.

On March 31, I drove a rental car out to Jeepsinker's place with the intention of driving my truck home while pulling a M105 back to Texas for archmark. That day was uneventful at first... My truck ran great, but it just lacked power! The engine really struggled to build power in 5th gear. That new engine had been in a shipping can since 1992, and it seemed like the engine was still half asleep! The excitement began when I was 2/3 of the way home. The engine tried to runaway from me. Luckily, I was able to pull over and kill the engine. After talking to Jeepsinker, I followed the engine stop cable to the cover on the side of the engine block. I removed the cover and confirmed that the lever inside was moving freely. Then I hit the road again. The engine tried to run away from me once more before I got home; however, I still managed to drive the truck home!

On April 1, I spent time asking for and receiving advice in this thread and searching for other information on this website. Following the advice given, I added two cans of Seafoam (enough to treat 32 gallons) to my fuel tank and lubricated the throttle cable linkage with PB Blaster.

On April 2, I drove my truck to the 2016 Texas Rally with archmark's M105 in tow. The truck ran great, and the engine did not try to runaway. However, the engine was still extremely sluggish! I delivered archmark's trailer at the Museum of the American GI. Later that afternoon was my first opportunity to drive the truck with the new engine and no M105 trailer in tow. I noticed a difference without the trailer; however, I was still disappointed in the performance. By this point, I had driven roughly 260 miles on the new engine (~250 with a M105 in tow).

On Sunday, April 3, I drove home from the rally. The performance steadily improved that morning. I hit a decent hill 15 miles from home, which would have slowed me to a crawl one day prior! I managed to keep the truck in 5th gear and climb the hill! It felt great!

Work is busy for me in April, which puts hobby time on the back burner. I finally made time to work on the truck a week ago Sunday (April 24). My intention was to change the oil and all filters that day. That didn't happen! I had the wrong o-ring for the fuel filters, so apart from making a mess, nothing was accomplished that day. Again, I turned to the forums on this website for wisdom (and part numbers). A quick trip to NAPA last week put me back in business. The oil, oil filters and fuel filters were changed on May 1, and the truck went out for a little spin afterwards. She ran great! Seeing as the secondary and final fuel filters had been in that engine since 1992 (and Jeepsinker saw fuel still in the engine when he took it out of the shipping can), I'm guessing they really needed to be changed!!

I really appreciate Jeepsinker's help and keeping good on his promise to get me to the Texas Rally! Also, I really appreciate everyone on here that offered advise and encouragement! And Seafoam.... I really like Seafoam!!!

So let's see, I sent one truck to Jeepsinker on the back of a trailer. I drove that truck home under its own (very sluggish) power. And I also recovered two trailers from Louisiana while I was there. All-in-all, I'd say this was a success.

m715mike

Transmission Time

And the saga continues... I just turned my Deuce into a shop for a transmission swap. Although it didn't go to Jeepsinker this time (wish it had), I'll continue posting in this thread.

Back in July, I took my M35A2 out for a short drive. Once on the main road, I started going up through the gears. As soon as the truck hit 5th gear I heard a metal "clacking" sound. The clacking continued and next it sounded like small pebbles were flying up from my tires hitting directly below the cab. That was followed by a horrible grinding noise. I slowed down and dropped back into 4th gear. The noise and grinding stopped. I was able to continue in 4th gear without any other issues. While the truck made a lot of noise (and the grinding increased my pucker factor), the truck shifted and ran well even in 5th gear. The noise/grinding did not impact performance. Granted, I did not leave it in 5th gear for long.

I started looking for a replacement transmission assuming that I lost 5th gear or the input bearing in mine. It just so happened that Jeepsinker had a take-out transmission at Fuzzytoaster's place (which is only an hour from my home) that he was willing to sell. It's the transmission that came out of Jeepsinker's truck when he did the engine upgrade. It took me a while to pick it up, but I finally got the transmission home two weeks ago.

Now about the shop.... There is a shop just two miles from where I keep my Deuce. They had a 5-Ton in their lot awhile back. One day I stopped in to ask about it. As it turns out, one of their mechanics was a motorpool sergeant at Fort Bliss back in the late 70's / early 80's. Although he spent most of his time working on large tracked vehicles, he sounded familiar with the Deuce. After talking with him for a while, I had enough confidence to leave my truck there.

I just dropped my truck off yesterday. It should be done by next Friday. So hopefully I'll post favorable comments next weekend. Also, I should have some pictures of the inside of my old transmission. We'll see what 5th gear looks like...

2deuce

An experience I had with my deuce engine taking off was with the governor on the IP sticking. If the engine wasn't run in a long time it sticks. When you are short on power and giving it max throttle it might stay at that max position after you let off to shift. I fixed mine by removing the cover and moving it back and forth. It will probably correct itself by running the engine as oil does lube it by running it. If your pedal stays down after you let off, it is the linkage. If it comes up and your engine is still running hard or accelerating pull the engine stop. That could pull the gov off it's stuck spot and return to idle. I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word and my deuce would not start after 8 years sitting. I took off the engine stop cover and pushed that little lever forward. After that many years that engine had accumulated alot of debris. When it started it went to full rev very very fast. I wasn't in the cab to look but I bet it was near 3500 to 4, before I found that stuck lever in all that cloud of crap. In my case the throttle return spring broke too, so I pulled on that first. I wish I had a video of that 1st start. Only thing good was I learned a little more about the deuce.

m715mike

Finally, good news to report!

The shop promised my truck back in one week but actually took two weeks to get it done. Not that it took two weeks to swap a transmission, they just did not budget time appropriately for their other jobs. So, I picked my truck up last week (Saturday, November 22, 2016). I had a minor issue on the two mile drive from the mechanic shop to my storage unit. The gears started grinding as I shifted up to 5th gear and there was more grinding as I attempted to downshift to 4th gear. Granted, it could have been operator error, but I do not usually grind the gears in my truck (or any vehicle for that matter). After talking with Jeepsinker, he suggested that I change the oil first and see what happens. I had the shop put 80W-90 in the transmission. Jeepsinker suggested a 30 or 40 weight oil. My son and I change the oil to a 30 weight today and took the truck for a test drive. All went great! The truck ran really well and there was no problem shifting up or down through the gears. It was a big relief!!!

Overall, my opinion of the shop was disappointing. I probably will not go back unless I am left with no other options.

Also, on a different note, my son and I had a good laugh changing the oil today. We were using a hand pump and one gallon buckets of oil. While my son was pumping, the tube came off the pump. He kept pumping and covered my stomach with oil.

Well, the Deuce is now ready for her next engagement, which happens to be Monday evening. A local church is having a "Truck or Treat" event in their parking lot for Halloween. One of the pastors asked if I would bring the truck for his display. You can't say no to that!!!

m715mike

Take some PB blaster to the throttle linkage, work it back and forth repeatedly. Running some seafoam (or B12, same stuff) through the fuel system will help.

It has been just over a year with no throttle-related issues. Until today.... But the good news is, I think it is fixed!

I drove the Deuce just over an hour today to meet a few guys for lunch. About half way there, my throttle peddle began sticking. It only happened when the peddle was pushed all the way down. However, it did not happen every time. The road I took to lunch had a lot of hills. Many times during the drive, I had the throttle peddle floored while climbing a hill. Tapping the peddle a time or two with my foot would unstick it.

I stopped before my destination and hit all moving parts on the peddle with PB blaster. That didn't help.

We took a good look at it after lunch. It appears that the throttle cable was too long. Also, the excess cable was bent at a 90 degree angle. (The pictures below show two 90 degree angles. The second was added while we were diagnosing.) The excess cable was getting caught on and hung-up in the return spring when the throttle peddle was fully depressed. Thus, the peddle was sticking.

It's cleaned-up now so the cable and spring will not cause any more issues.

Here are the culprits circled in red:
IMG_3096.jpg

This is what the area looks like without the red ink:
IMG_3097.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks