• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

servicing deuce injectors

rustystud

I found the local hardware store normally carries it, but was out, so I bought a gallon of lacquer thinner. Ultrasonically cleaning the injectors for a weekend in the lacquer thinner certainly removed more lacquer from the injectors, but the nozzle is still stuck in the nozzle holder.

I like the idea of trying walnut shells and/or corn cob as a cleaning media, but my central problem is separating the injector nozzle from the injector holder.

I did use a wire wheel brush on a bench grinder. It works great as long as it is not used on the nozzle or the inside of the nozzle holder, which are precision machined surfaces.

I will keep working on this and report back any findings I have.

Are they "rusted" together ? If so get some rust remover and soak them in it.

rustystud

How about corn cob or walnut media in a vibratory cartridge case cleaner?

Not enough force to clean. You need the "blast" effect of the air to push that media against the object needing cleaning. Now silica sand will clean in a vibratory unit since it has sharp little edges. I use that method myself to clean up small precision parts.

Jeepsinker

It has been much too long, but I'm back now. I'm going to try and be more active than I have been. I discovered Facebook and it sort of absorbed me for quite a while.

rustystud

It has been much too long, but I'm back now. I'm going to try and be more active than I have been. I discovered Facebook and it sort of absorbed me for quite a while.
Just say "NO" to facebook !!!!!
My wife has been lost to facebook for several years now. I've given up ever having her back !
Nice to have you back Garrett .

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Built a pop tester with one of the pumps from the ebay.
Bought one injector line off ebay, cut it off and used Swagelok fittings out to a holding/surge tank.
The displacement of the little ebay pump needs volume for Deuce injectors.
injector test station 11022015 IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_6762.jpgIMG_7997.jpginjector hole size.jpgInjector Injection Line specifics from G 06182015.GIF

I can enter the entire thing for sale in classifieds if there is any interest in the set up.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good news! Because I bought a set as well and could confirm that those are the early style, 1-hole injectors - which originally came with the 5-ton LDS465-1 engine. And then every book says to change over to the two-hole nozzles...

Mine are part of the load inside a 20' shipping container right now and it will take some time until I get them back into my hands - and then installed, hopefully.

Wondering if others could report similar good results, already??

rustystud

That is good news! Because I bought a set as well and could confirm that those are the early style, 1-hole injectors - which originally came with the 5-ton LDS465-1 engine. And then every book says to change over to the two-hole nozzles...

Mine are part of the load inside a 20' shipping container right now and it will take some time until I get them back into my hands - and then installed, hopefully.

Wondering if others could report similar good results, already??
I've been wondering about this whole business of the one hole versus two hole injector. From what I've read the two hole is suppose to be better with using different fuels. I'm wondering if the single hole injector is better with diesel fuel though ?
Has anyone tried running the single hole and then switched to the two hole injectors ? Did your performance suffer ?
Who ever did this needs to have a good running engine, and new or rebuilt single and two hole injectors. Then we can compare the performance differences if any. Technically your suppose to adjust the injection pump for either single hole or dual hole injectors. My question again is why ? I know the military doesn't like increasing the power levels once they are factory set. So by adjusting the injection pump your lowering it's power output. Did that mean the single hole puts out more power ? Or did the two hole injector put out more ? All the TM mentions is the final RPM's must be the same. Makes me wonder.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know we have kicked this around a bit. If the two hole was for different fuels then to me that is what make the Deuce engine desirable.
Add gasoline to any other diesel engine and I would bet it would not last long.
What would be cool if someone was to check the pop pressure of the single hole you guys got. Also would a much lower pop pressure advance timing buy a small amount?
If Beyond says 2x the power and less smoke I would bet his injectors were not up to par.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?173312-Where-to-get-new-injectors-or-rebuild-kit

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In response to Gringeltaube's question; I'm hoping my experience is isolated... I bought 6 of the NOS injectors from TaylorTrading on that popular e-auction site, and took them to a local Injection and turbo shop to be pop-tested. The shop said that 2 were okay, but 4 of them had stuck needles, and were "beyond repair". I told the shop not to work on them further, and I went and got them back. I took one apart and saw some varnish, but nothing that looked too bad. I contacted Taylor Trading to see if he had any similar reports from others, he said no, and he kindly offered to exchange the 4 that were claimed to be bad. I told him thanks for the offer, but I'd see if I could make these work. So, I bought a pop-tester from that e-auction site, rigged up an adapter (see it here...), and found that, sure enough, 4 injectors were stuck. Decided to take everyone of them completely apart, thoroughly clean them, adjust & test them. Subsequent ones were in worse shape and had more varnish (and a bit of rust) than the one I took apart first. l Got two to stay fuel-tight, adjusted to right at 3150, and chattering beautifully. Two others took a bit to get the needles out of the nozzles, but got them tight, right, and chattering too. The final two were tough. By soaking them in penetrant, and using the low setting on the heat gun, I was able to get the needles out of the nozzles, but they would not keep from sticking open when tested. Finally got them to pop and chatter by hand-polishing the needles and nozzle bores with 5000 and rouge. No hard feelings with Taylor's. After all, they were only about $180 shipped for the set of 6, and he kindly offered to swap them out. But I figured no matter what, whatever injectors I got, I was going to clean them and dial them in tight before putting them in the truck, so I figured I may as well work with what I had.

New message from: taylortradingco
You are the first and only person to have mentioned any issues at the moment. I could not imagine anything being wrong with them, as they appear to have been well stored and they didn't have grease/cosmoline like stuff on them to gum up, but I am having another set pressure tested.
If you want to exchange the four you said did not pass, I will send you four more, but they are not guaranteed to work, just guaranteed to be what they are, military surplus NOS fuel injectors.
I have changed the item description to reflect that.

IMG_20171115_141200812.jpgIMG_20171115_140100397.jpgIMG_20171114_152718589_HDR.jpgIMG_20171114_150251495_HDR.jpgIMG_20171115_132306522_HDR.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncUPHLCSOIY

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hold the needles and tip to long in your hand the fit gets tighter. I told the guys my .02 in the other thread that the injectors should be checked before installing them. I had 20 Ambac two hole injectors and they all were put up with just bit of light oil. You did the right thing checking them before install. I don't know that the compound is the best thing to use. Myself I would have taken just the tip and soak them in a chemical like was in the gunk tank carburetor cleaner for as long as it took to eat the varnish. Heat might make the varnish harden.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

NUTS! I just ordered a set even though I have spare engines so I wouldn't have to mess with setting up a tester. Please share the fittings you got to adapt the tester, Menaces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks