• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

servicing deuce injectors

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Floridianson, Brother, I was at the end of my rope trying to get those last two to pop:-(. Tore both of them apart and re-cleaned them both with brake cleaner and lacquer thinner several times before even considering to polish. Even after polishing had to tear one down again and polish more! I figured the nozzles and needles may be shot anyway, so I went after it with what I had.:razz:

Last edited:

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NUTS! I just ordered a set even though I have spare engines so I wouldn't have to mess with setting up a tester. Please share the fittings you got to adapt the tester, Menaces.
Well, seems Beyond Biodiesel had good results... Maybe the ones I got were on the bottom of the pallet, or someplace they got exposed to more moisture than some of the others did over the years. For all we know, the ones you get may be fine.

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

I've been wondering about this whole business of the one hole versus two hole injector. From what I've read the two hole is suppose to be better with using different fuels. I'm wondering if the single hole injector is better with diesel fuel though ?
Has anyone tried running the single hole and then switched to the two hole injectors ? Did your performance suffer ?
Who ever did this needs to have a good running engine, and new or rebuilt single and two hole injectors. Then we can compare the performance differences if any. Technically your suppose to adjust the injection pump for either single hole or dual hole injectors. My question again is why ? I know the military doesn't like increasing the power levels once they are factory set. So by adjusting the injection pump your lowering it's power output. Did that mean the single hole puts out more power ? Or did the two hole injector put out more ? All the TM mentions is the final RPM's must be the same. Makes me wonder.
This is a good question. I happen to have 2 sets of 1-hole injectors for my M756A2. I will try to locate a set of 2-hole injectors for testing with alternative diesel fuels.

I did notice that my old 1-hole set was badly coked after running them on alternative diesel fuel for only about 40 miles, but then the set of injectors were dub-par, and my pop tester is dead.

On the topic of alternative diesel fuels, I have found that injector coking is common on blends, and heated two-tank SVO systems. Having a turbocharger makes a huge improvement in performance on alternative diesel fuels. Unfortunately my M756A2 does not have a turbo, so I plan to acquire one ASAP. As well as, keep a good spare set in the truck at all times.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a seat of the pants test could be a little bias. Doubt anyone would be willing to dyno before and after injector replacement. Seems like if one was to have a friend at an inspection station and before / after emissions test might be one way.
On the other hand check / pop test any injector before install. Check IP pressures. Check / change fuel filters. Check intake/exhaust valves for clearance. Have correct tire pressure and most of all have fun.

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

Wow, just seeing this. I apologize for any inconvenience on my part. I bought this lot of injectors and they all appear to be in perfect condition, wrapped inside a wrapper inside a wrapper inside a box inside a bigger box... I even opened them to inspect them to see if they had grease or cosmoline looking stuff on them, but they didn't appear to. It never occurred to me there could be an issue with them. I have changed the description to reflect this. I do not have a pop tester and would not want to take the time to test clean hundreds of these things anyway, and if I did, I would have to charge much more money for them. Believe me when I say, I had no idea there could be an issue with a never used part.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries. I just sold Razer 6 nos AMBAC two hole injectors and told him to pop test before install. Yours can be cleaned if needed and your tips have no wear.

Last edited:

rustystud

Wow, just seeing this. I apologize for any inconvenience on my part. I bought this lot of injectors and they all appear to be in perfect condition, wrapped inside a wrapper inside a wrapper inside a box inside a bigger box... I even opened them to inspect them to see if they had grease or cosmoline looking stuff on them, but they didn't appear to. It never occurred to me there could be an issue with them. I have changed the description to reflect this. I do not have a pop tester and would not want to take the time to test clean hundreds of these things anyway, and if I did, I would have to charge much more money for them. Believe me when I say, I had no idea there could be an issue with a never used part.
At the price you are selling them for they are still a bargain even if they don't work ! I bought them just for the new upper end. I had planned on replacing the tips all along. Now I just might use them as is anyway. After testing them of course. Even if some are stuck it's an easy fix really. So don't worry about it.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on how bad the 1967 date stamped shim-type injectors are that I take out of my truck, I may be ordering another set from you. So like Gringeltaube and Rustystud, I must not be too bothered by it either.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Seems like a seat of the pants test could be a little bias. Doubt anyone would be willing to dyno before and after injector replacement. Seems like if one was to have a friend at an inspection station and before / after emissions test might be one way.
On the other hand check / pop test any injector before install. Check IP pressures. Check / change fuel filters. Check intake/exhaust valves for clearance. Have correct tire pressure and most of all have fun.
Perhaps a timed accel test in 4th from 1500 to 2500 RPM or something. Three passes, average.... Would need boost and EGT gauges...

rustystud

Built a pop tester with one of the pumps from the ebay.
Bought one injector line off ebay, cut it off and used Swagelok fittings out to a holding/surge tank.
The displacement of the little ebay pump needs volume for Deuce injectors.
View attachment 702398

View attachment 702399View attachment 702400View attachment 702401View attachment 702402

I can enter the entire thing for sale in classifieds if there is any interest in the set up.
Hey Frank, where did you get the proper ferrules for the fuel lines ? I plan on using one of my spare fuel lines to connect to the Tester I bought. Looks just like yours. I can use one of the lines the tester came with along with the nut from the old fuel line, but I need the ferrule.
Thanks.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
post #75
I cut one fuel line to length I wanted, that gives the end for the injector, and joined the output of the line that came with the tester to the truck fuel line with a swagelok 1/4" fitting as in the pictures. I wanted the strength of the line as it is when in the trucks, 1/4" line with 1/16" fuel hole. I wanted a "holding tank" I could switch on and off for multiple tests.
I just used stuff I have stowed thru the years that was discarded but new.
There is other ways to hook it up as seen in others photos.
IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_6754.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A few more photos. The first SS member that saw it bought my setup from me.
There is other ways to do it as seen in some of the photos.
It all worked OK.
I wanted to pop test with the actual fuel I was using which was at least 50% NEW motor oil and pump diesel, with marvel mystery oil, naptha, and whatever else else I could find that was good for Her to burn.
IMG_6758.jpg
IMG_6756.jpg
injector hole size.jpg
Injector Injection Line specifics from G 06182015.GIF
injector mulitifuel 06162015 IMG_6043.jpg
injector test station 11022015 IMG_7922.jpg
MULTIFUEL POP-TEST ADAPTER 1.jpg

Beyond Biodiesel

Brass washers will not work properly as crush washers. Crush washers need to be made of copper, preferably annealed copper washers.

Also, Swagelock fittings are not rated for 3000 PSI. However, "autoclave" fittings are.

Another tip is stainless steel ferrules do not deform well, so it is better to use brass ferules instead.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks