• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

Mos68x

Haven't got the EGT gauge yet, I'm getting that in a couple days, which is fine since the truck will stay parked until then anyways.

MAdams

If you go too many clicks on the gov springs you loose the ability to control idle speed. The gov spring kit fixes that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mos68x

I suspected that was the case, I'll have to see where I can find that kit then. I only adjusted the springs to get to 2600-3000 so I could improve highway driving. Hopefully today I can get my timing adjusted to reduce EGTs as well.

Mos68x

Thanks for the link, I wasn't sure if the 94-98 was the right year range and was about to ask. I'll order those hopefully in a couple days when I also order the EGT and boost gauge.

Mos68x

Well that was a fail, gonna have to reset it back to what to was and figure out how to set proper timing marks on the crank and then figure out where timing is at right now.

ooops, wrong thread

Mos68x

What will cause the pump to not put more fuel in until the truck slows down to 55mph on grades? It does fine once fuel is applied and even accelerates up the grades (minor), it just slows down first even with the pedal to the floor.

aziator

Do shift points need to be adjusted? I installed 3k springs and if I manually shift the truck will sustain higher than stock RPMs but if 1-5 is selected the transmission shifts like it did normally before the gov springs.

Mos68x

Trans shifts fine, no downshifting or RPM changes other than slowing down. How does the gov springs effect it if it slows down due to lack of fuel and starts supplying fuel at 55 and accelerates like normal? Gov springs are on the list for this month, probably going to order them today, I'm just not understanding how the gov springs would cause this.

Ecscnvb

cool site!
Yeah, the 8.3 shares nearly the same pump as a 5.9. Not all do, and that's where you need to look. Make sure it's a P-pump, and not the electronic junk.
Mods are simple. Grind down the fuel plate flat, and install it full forward. Hike up the timing to around 17-19*, and buy a set of 3k gov springs($100). Depending on the pump it has, you can see up to around 360hp, which is a grunt of tork at around 1100 pounds.
Where do I get the 3k governor springs?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ecscnvb

Ebay is the easiest. Just type in "dodge gov spring kit" in a search.
I called a place. I think it was test or something like that and they said they didn't make springs for the 8.3. What specifically to look for. Also I'd like to talk to u about all the motor mods if u ever get a minute to talk. Thank u very much for your time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74M35A2

Nope, they are a perfect fit. They will rev to about 3100-3400 in an 8.3L. You’ll want to manually shift the trans when you really need the power, as these will not change the trans shift points. During normal driving, no problem. The 8.3L in marine apps spin up to 3400, but they do use a different harmonic damper. Don’t know that p/n, sorry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks