• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

Squibbly

@cucvrus , I'm sure of anyone here, you've pulled up the removable Transmission Tunnel cover.
Is the access to the top transmission mounts good from that position?
What do you use to seal it back down?

Thanks.

Squibbly

In another thread I talked about how I look at "larger" projects, which is essentially, just ask yourself daily if the project is more done today, than it was the day before.

I know it's not a CUCV but I bought this bass boat that was tore up something fierce for a few hundred bucks from someone, and just hit it every day until I was done. I also happened to be doing a keto diet at the time and lost about 40 lbs in 3 months, but this kept my mind busy until eventually it was done.

It'll be the same way with this M1009. One bite at a time.

1637614252750.png
This was after the gutting and tearing out the 400 lbs of waterlogged foam (Hint: Use a pressure washer). Every piece of wood was rotted, because the PO left the plug in it and kept it in the rain for years, so I had to cut all new Deck and Floor, and epoxy them. Took a lot of scraping to get all the carpet glue out.
1637614362343.png
It was supposed to have a Rod locker in it, and another storage locker by the front deck, but after I saw this open concept, I didn't bother putting them back in. I mostly do spider rigging, so all those extra compartments were useless.

1637614482553.png

My pops like to go out, but only in the shade, so I put on a bimini.

1637665160788.png

Wiring was super simple and needed an updated fuse panel.

I love this thing.

Last edited:

Squibbly

Got the rear window out and a buddy of mine called with a problem.
Too much deer meat, and not enough freezer.
I like my friends with these kinds of problems. He even threw in some fish to sweeten the deal.

1637622608433.png

1637666195275.png

I dub thee..."tasty the deer". Thank you for your sacrifice.

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the rear window out and a buddy of mine called with a problem.
Too much deer meat, and not enough freezer.
I like my friends with these kinds of problems. He even threw in some fish to sweeten the deal.

View attachment 851399
Great job on the boat. It has a better layout than the original. Don't get me started on fishing, that's what I do. I watch some videos on South Carolina fishing. Great fishing there. Mullaney a great guy on this site lives in North Carolina and says the fishing is great there too. Did you fill the front with foam? Anyway, nice boat and great job fixing it back to new.

Squibbly

Great job on the boat. It has a better layout than the original. Don't get me started on fishing, that's what I do. I watch some videos on South Carolina fishing. Great fishing there. Mullaney a great guy on this site lives in North Carolina and says the fishing is great there too. Did you fill the front with foam? Anyway, nice boat and great job fixing it back to new.
The foam in the very front wasn't waterlogged, so I left that alone. For the rest spent days scraping the old stuff out and I cut up pool noodles and filled the voids with those.
It was that or the pour in foam and not only did I not see the benefit in the pour in stuff, but the factory uses the pour in stuff and it clogs the water channels that lets the water that may have gotten into the front of the boat move to the back where it can bilge.

SC has some nice fishing. I like Lake Wateree (huge striper and cats), Lake Norman, and Lake Wylie. I like doing a bit of coastal fishing as well. I didn't do much hunting or fishing this year. Too many other things going on. I have enough friends that hook me up with wild edibles anyways. 😀

I went out earlier this year, and a friend who wanted to "help" launch the boat (don't ever let someone help with something you don't need help doing and have a system for), hit the gas a little hard in reverse at the ramp unexpectedly while I was standing on the bow, and I fell backwards off of the bow and hit every piece of boat and trailer on the way to the 1 inch of water that was there to break my fall on the pavement. I was pretty black and blue for weeks after that. ....still went fishing though. I bet it was hilarious looking. I wish it was being filmed.

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The foam in the front wasn't waterlogged, so I left that alone. For the rest I cut up pool noodles and filled the voids with those.
It was that or the pour in foam and not only did I not see the benefit in the pour in stuff, but the factory uses the pour in stuff and it clogs the water channels that lets the water that may have gotten into the front of the boat move to the back where it can bilge.

SC has some nice fishing. I like Lake Wateree (huge striper and cats), Lake Norman, and Lake Wylie. I like doing a bit of coastal fishing as well. I didn't do much hunting or fishing this year. Too many other things going on. I have enough friends that hook me up with wild edibles anyways. 😀

I went out earlier this year, and a friend who wanted to "help" launch the boat (don't ever let someone help with something you don't need help doing and have a system for), hit the gas a little hard in reverse at the ramp unexpectedly while I was standing on the bow, and I fell backwards off of the bow and hit every piece of boat and trailer on the way to the 1 inch of water that was there to break my fall on the pavement. I was pretty black and blue for weeks after that. ....still went fishing though.
My brothers live on Lake Norman in Denver North Carolina. Yeah I'll bet those stripers tear that spider rig up. I hear you on the foam, the noodles will keep it floating. If you visit California bring your poles I'll put you on some great fishing for bass, cats, crappie, redears, florida bluegill, and giant 25 lb. carp and up.

Squibbly

I'm always a little hesitant to dig into something not in the manual. It made sense that the transmission tunnel cover would give me better access to the top bolts of the transmission without the need for 4 feet of extensions and a few years on the circus tour as a contortionist. I just didn't know "how much access".

Asked and answered, for anyone who wants to know what the access looks like.

I had to remove my center console, but other than that its just a few bolts and a little gentle prying.
1637676207704.png

Hello, evil top bolt. I told you we would meet again. Victory will be mine shortly. 😈
1637676239172.png

I'm going to let him sit and think about how he can improve his attitude for a while...I have other work to do before we begin, and he owes me some sealant.

1637677765901.png

...and the same goes for your dipstick buddy on the other side.

1637679594568.jpeg

Last edited:

Squibbly

I hope you two learned your lesson today.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for some knuckle blood I can tell you I don't have any left to give, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for bolts like you. If you let my transmission go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will use the big bar on you."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Squibbly

These daylight hours suck if you have a project needing to get worked on. I get about 30 minutes after work to get something done before dark.
I probably won't move that transmission back until the weekend (or maybe Friday). I don't like rushing the movement of heavy parts like this.

That being said, does anyone have the wiring route of the 4WD indicator light that plugs into the top of the transmission?
Mine is dropping out from under the dash and going along the top of the transmission tunnel cover then under the transmission shifter.
Seems like that should be routed some other way that isn't so exposed inside the cab?

Squibbly

Nothing screams "A REAL MAN LIVES HERE" to all the neighborhood women walking past my house with their dogs and strollers and man friends, than a filthy guy working under a militarized blazer in his driveway, while the thick smell of a smoked venison neck roast and freedom fills the air.

1637764066826.png

It's so shiny and new....and what better way to make it black and wonderfully seasoned than this.

1637764081125.png

Long bolts are in, everything is finally disconnected and ready to go.

1637764273335.png

Rubber glove fingers keeping the junk out of my coolant lines.

1637764298673.png

Waiting for my kid to leave for work so I can get this done, and then to give my wife the usual "If I die, remember, don't re-marry" speech.

Squibbly

Got a lot done today (by my standards). This job definitely would have been easier with two people, for things like moving the transmission back into place, but I just used ratchet straps tied between the front axle and transmission bracket to slowly and evenly pull it back together.

- Flex plate changed.
- Transmission bolted back up. (Need to redo the right bottom bolt. Noticed the plate that sits behind the starter on the floor of the truck, which means I forgot to connect it to that bolt.)
- Drive shafts re-mounted (yes, I marked them before taking them off).
- Speedo reconnected.
- Vacuum modulator reconnected.
- Downshift switch connected
- Shift Linkage connected

Need to connect the transmission cooler lines, and the flex plate to torque converter bolts.
Need to reinstall the starter.

I'm leaving the 4wd indicator connector and transfer case selector disconnected, because I want to clean up the top of the tranny before I clean up, seal and bolt the transmission tunnel cover back down, since I have access.

Need to pull off the transmission governor cover and seal it (it's leaking), put in a new transmission filter and bolt the pan and gasket back up. Fill it with transmission fluid.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but (hopefully) I'll be able to take her for a spin by Friday or Saturday.

Then on to the other cosmetics (and horn).

Shiny new flex plate, painted with some rattle can rust preventative paint. May not make a bit of difference, but whatever.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a lot done today (by my standards). This job definitely would have been easier with two people, for things like moving the transmission back into place, but I just used ratchet straps tied between the front axle and transmission bracket to slowly and evenly pull it back together.

- Flex plate changed.
- Transmission bolted back up. (Need to redo the right bottom bolt. Noticed the plate that sits behind the starter on the floor of the truck, which means I forgot to connect it to that bolt.)
- Drive shafts re-mounted (yes, I marked them before taking them off).
- Speedo reconnected.
- Vacuum modulator reconnected.
- Downshift switch connected
- Shift Linkage connected

Need to connect the transmission cooler lines, and the flex plate to torque converter bolts.
Need to reinstall the starter.

I'm leaving the 4wd indicator connector and transfer case selector disconnected, because I want to clean up the top of the tranny before I clean up, seal and bolt the transmission tunnel cover back down, since I have access.

Need to pull off the transmission governor cover and seal it (it's leaking), put in a new transmission filter and bolt the pan and gasket back up. Fill it with transmission fluid.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but (hopefully) I'll be able to take her for a spin by Friday or Saturday.

Then on to the other cosmetics (and horn).

Shiny new flex plate, painted with some rattle can rust preventative paint. May not make a bit of difference, but whatever.
The governor cover is just a big o ring...might want to get a new cover as it might not be round anymore to be leaking...not a usual leak unless someone took it off and bent it...I have seen that a bunch....it should have a good edge to tap a few times to come out though so it shouldn't be that tight and doesn't need sealant...I need all the horn stuff too...the plastic 3 post gasket, under the center of the steering wheel, is gone on both of mine but have found them online in kits that have everything...good to see you didn't lose any knuckles changing the flywheel!!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot to say when you get the governor cover off check the gear on the end of the governor...it is plastic and might have sharp edges on it meaning it is about to strip out...could replace that too if it's goin out...make sure the springs are on the weights too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks