• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck in my yard....TWICE!!

dm22630

About the winching, how much cable was on the drum when the pin snapped?
With a lot of cable on the drum, the shear pin will snap way before the max rated pull has been reached. From what I have learned (see related thread from last week), I would have started winching 200 ft away to get the max out of it, perhaps you did, it's not clear....

I broke the shear pin after I had already winched myself out. What happened was, I had 10-15 ft of cable still laying on the ground, so I wrapped it around the bumper so I could turn around & then unspool it again & winch the 818 out. I got in the truck, put the winch in neutral & pulled forward. I heard a LOUD "pop". I got out & the cable was extremely tight around the bumper & I could see the pto spinning. I never pushed the clutch lever on the winch back before I moved, so I guess it didnt disengage anything.

I hope it is just a shear pin.

1stDeuce

I'll second the idea of dropping at least the front tire pressure. If I notice the front on my deuce (W/W) starting to sink in soft ground, I stop and drop the tire pressure to 15 psi and try again. Usually that will take care of the sinkage issue just fine... NDT's do suck for soft soil though, as they let it all escape out the sides, and they drop like a rock... Airing down seems to help prevent the sinking, by making the footprint a LOT bigger.

Just guessing, but I bet that my 9.00's at 15psi have more than 3x the footprint that they do at 50psi. And NDT's carry the weight right in the center of the tire at full pressure, while they distribute it much better over the entire surface when aired down.

It really works... but everythign has limits... Your floating grass might still be too much! :)
C

willey10

AHH the spring mud season yuck!! I went to my mother this past weekend delivering some pallets for her and my step dad to put there wood on to keep it off the ground with my M1009 going in fine coming out not so good dropped to the frame on one side tried turning hubs in one failed had to unhook back up set over get a runmade it trailer had to be towed with tow rope through it all,spent one hour raking and listening to her reminding me some gravel with my next visit !!
no pictures this time !!!

rizzo

Another case of why I can't live without an excavator. Playing in the mud is fun.......when that's what you want to be doing.
That is how I got my 1008 un stuck. pushed out with the excavator.,

anyone here notice the old NDCC's had a huge side lug? a totally different tire in soft ground in my opinion.

dm22630

UPDATE:

Today I had two different big truck/offroad recovery wrecker services come check it out & see if they could get the trailer out. BOTH told me "no way....if you got your army trucks stuck getting near it, there is no way we would even get that close".

Then, my buddy came over & my neighbor got his backhoe out, we tore out my concrete steps (40-50 of them that are 2'x5') and made a "road" from the semi-hard ground through the mud. We got them all laid down after 2 hours & when he tried to pick the front of the trailer up, it lifted his back tire off the ground & almost popped the front one. It would not lift it more than 3-4".

So.....tomorrow, I will be calling a crane service in the next town. They charge $150/hour & have a 4 hour minimum. So, BEST CASE, this is going to cost me an additional $600 to get the 200 ft over to my driveway.

Pics will follow tomorrow.

Lesson Learned (so far)....

#1 - Be careful where you park.

#2 - Army trucks can & will get stuck.

#3 - One stolen jack handle has cost me two days of my life, one SCREWED up yard (which I am going to have to regrade/reseed), & at LEAST $600 for a crane.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could get one of those M200 trailer frames under the front of the trailer.Chain the big trailer to the M200 frame. Air up the brakes with a portable tank or a long air hose off a truck(W/W). Then, stay about 200' away and winch it across the lawn(M35A2 or 5ton). I'm sure you could do that for less than hiring it moved.

area52

If you are going to pay $600 for a crane why not just get a few truck loads of large sized gravel and dump in the yard to drive on? Then when its dry later, dig it up to reseed the yard. Might be cheaper?

tm america

funny they look like boat anchors not off road trucks guess i know why i got a deuce not a five ton . remember ndt means non directional travel since you wont be moving either way when you have em on your truck at least you only broke a sheir pin and nothing worse . i wouldnt advise parking there again look like theres no bottom over there

dm22630

You could get one of those M200 trailer frames under the front of the trailer.Chain the big trailer to the M200 frame. Air up the brakes with a portable tank or a long air hose off a truck(W/W). Then, stay about 200' away and winch it across the lawn(M35A2 or 5ton). I'm sure you could do that for less than hiring it moved.

After reading this I think I will try one last thing before getting the crane.....

What do you think about this:

Take my M332 ammo trailer & take the lugs off, switch to budcaps & put duals on the 332? Then back it under the front of the 872, lower the 872 onto it, chain it up, and rotate the trailer so the 872 is directly over my "concrete road". Then lift it back up, remove the 332, back an 818 under it & pull it out?

Would a 332 w/4 9.00-20s hold up that much weight?

:?

tsmall07

I think you'd have better luck getting a jack handle from napa and/or trying to pull the trailer out with the winch. You shouldn't really have to raise the trailer to get it to skid some. You could even put some steel sheets in it's path to make it skid easier. I'd try anything before I paid $600 for a crane. It will be cold tomorrow. It might be cold enough to make the ground more solid.

If it is too heavy for the back hoe, I don't know that the trailer could support it. I'm certainly no expert, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks