• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sudden oversupply of m923's ??

SCRAP

Why all of the sudden are there so many 939 style trucks being released? they outnumbered every type of truck on gl , Makes me wonder how long this can last

Chief_919

Why all of the sudden are there so many 939 style trucks being released? they outnumbered every type of truck on gl , Makes me wonder how long this can last
That is how all surplus goes.

First a slow release, then it picks up, then as an item is phased out a flood, then it dries up.

jwaller

they are mostly A1's and older. They are not eligible for the rebuild program so they get sold. A2's being sold are unusual but it still happens.

Whitey

The A2's that have been released looked pretty sweet. Some of the older A1's looked a little tired. Hope there is a good supply of 923 parts for those that need em. Soo many people have been parting out M35A2's that parts haven't really been an issue.

Jimma

I think one of the reasons for larger number of them being sold off is the replacement FMTV's arriving in larger numbers.

There have been 3 main phases of the FMTV program, including the last “SO23” open competition in 2003. All told, more than 50,000 FMTV trucks in various models have been delivered to the US Army. The government also recently signed a new contract with Oshkosh to supply thousands of new LMTV's.

Under the new contract, Oshkosh Corp. has been awarded a competitive, 5-year requirements contract to build up to 12,415 trucks and 10,926 trailers, and provide associated support and engineering services. The total estimated contract value at award was $3.023 billion.

The other existing contract was with BAE Systems subsidiary Stewart & Stevenson won the initial FMTV competition to begin producing these trucks, and has retained the manufacturing contract through previous rebuy competitions, a merger with Armor Holdings, and Armor Holding’s absorption into BAE. The current FMTV rebuy program is a 5-year requirements contract award for up to 23,000 vehicles and trailers, as well as support services and engineering.

FMTV production has also ramped up sharply over the last few years. Initial rates of production were approximately 2,400 trucks per year, but that rate has now accelerated to 7,200 (about 32/day) and was expected to reach over 8,000 per year (about 42/day) at BAE’s plant in Sealy, TX during FY 2009.

Therefore, they are fazing out the 923 as the units are re equpped with the FMTV's.

Maverick1701

When we picked up our 5tons at Ft Sill they had rows and rows of the 939 series trucks parked on the LESO lot...everything from cargo, to tractors to dumps.

mcmullag

evolution

yes I noticed the 900 series trucks are being sold off now. Seems like normal progression to me. They got rid of the deuces (G742 series or sumthin) and the 800 series 5 tons, now along come the 900 series trucks to be discarded from active duty. Works for me. :beer:

Vintage iron

What is the word on " driving a 900 series truck" I would imagine you would need a CDL to drive them in any state. I don't think they are old enough for Antique status either. The 900 series are awesome but I am happy with my M813 for now.

jatonka

f you don't have a CDL and some kind of truck driving experience you probably should get trained and a CDL before driving a 900 sreies in any more than a parking lot. Just my opinion, and a small amount of driving experience. JT

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are no longer rebuilding the 900 series so they are going the way of the deuce.......they just did not have as long a life as the deuce.

I have seen 900 series 5 tons trucks sell for more than the M915's.

I'm not that big a fan of the 900 series 5 tons but they are more user friendly than the deuce as far as creature comforts go.

Since they have straight air brakes (not air over hydrolic like the deuce) I think most states require at least a Class B CDL to drive one.

I might own one some day since my clutch knee is headed for a replacement in the future.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes my GL buddy told me 6 months ago the orders came down... no more 900 series to be rebuilt. so all those that were in line at shelby is on the block .. i am on the fence with those. i drove one and really didnt like it. ill stick with the old ones for now.. fits my 0 budget for now:beer:

Cleptomaniac

You have to watch these things. My buddy in the guard said their orders are to drive them till they break then their gone!
And on a different note when they gonna let us at the HMMWVs?!?

Wolf.Dose

Hey, these M923 and so forth trucks are some 25+ years old and of course do not fullfill the requirements any more: Soft body, no crew protection, outdated engine, to hight fuel consumption, semi auto transission a peace of history, axle designe from the late 50's. And even for trucks the maker has to supply parts only for 20 years after the last truck was built. This is not necessarily true for military trucks, for the contracts talk useually of a period of time of 50 years.
With the Deuce, do not forget, that from the introduction of these truck in 1951 until the last made many modifications were done. The change from a gas engine to Diesel as a main change. And how many different versions of the Diesel engine were used.
The tractical trucks of the Bundeswehr are mainly some 30+ years old, however, the drive train is still considered to be state of the art with ist transmission and the axles. The engine is outdated (Deutz air coold engine, however, reliable). The Bundeswehr bought during the last 4 years some 4000 state of the art trucks with EURO 4 and EURO 5 emmision level as partly militarized trucks. It is forseeable when the old MAN 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 will be replaced. It is simply a question of money. Sucsessors are available on the market from MAN (X90 (the British Army recently bought some 2000 of them, 4x4, 6x6, 8x8)), IVECO (Tracker, with and without armourd cab, 4x4 to 8x8 available) and Mercedes (Zetros, 4x4 and 6x6, armourd and non armoured cab available).
Wolf

jpinst

I think one of the reasons for larger number of them being sold off is the replacement FMTV's arriving in larger numbers.

Therefore, they are fazing out the 923 as the units are re equpped with the FMTV's.
These trucks are not being replaced by FMTV's Per Se - instead they are being replaced by Oshkosh MTVR's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks