• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suggestions Wanted! Your Input Is Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stSarge

I love USAFSS’s idea, but you can combine with McKee’s idea, just say no activity within the last 365 days then purge? Maybe? Active, Current, Dormant, Purged.

On photos, yeah mulit photo upload would be nice, but I hate off site links, like photo bucket. I only have access to dial up out here and any photos posted off site I don’t look at, as it take years for the pages to load for me.

---John

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brand new here and love the site. I would like to know if we can change the skin to make threads easier to read. The dark on dark is tough on me. I *think* I've read all the welcome and new member instructions, but didn't see anything.

Thanks,

Keib

and yeah...pretty boring 1st post.
The color scheme is at the pleasure of the Commander, and I have these suggestions:

1.) In a well-lit room, it is sometimes harder to read the text here on a CRT monitor than on an LCD. LCDs are usually better here because they are brighter.
Regardless of your display, if you are having issues, turn up the brightness a little.

2.) If the issue is intractible, go into your browser settings and tell it to "use system colors" or tell it not to "allow web pages to specify their own colors". This will get you a very basic "windows notepad" appearance that is super easy to read, at the expense of the otherwise very groovy appearance.

3.) Attend to the board in a mostly darkened room, possibly underground so the enemy won't see the light from the display. Appropriate decor is a single 25 or 40 watt bare bulb hanging by the cord from the ceiling (with or without the canonical conical reflector), camo netting, old crates that might smell of GAA and old TMs, and maybe a few other military type items of your choosing lying about. You can't go wrong with this setup.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you are logged into the site, you shouldn't have re-logg again to post a reply or to look at another site. sometimes doing this, it will not let you look at the site.:roll:
Are you checking the "Remember Me?" box? If not, it might happen sometimes.. also if you erase cookies when navigating away, the login is nuked.

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Last edited:

lebel1886

What is it?

I would like to see a What is it forum. I have fairly often asked for help identifying items, the member knowledge on Steel Soldiers is an incredible resource. I think that more people would post questions about items which is educational and fun.

Thanks to everyone who works on the site and to the members for the input, Steel Soldiers is incredible.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My earlier suggestion is/was based on my NON-Programer/NON-WebMaster background - I'm techno-illiterate......

Here's my concern with ANY purging of dorman members.....

What would happen to their previously posted messages?
We have had MANY valuable contributions from some now-deceased "former" members... Would their wisdom become trash simply because someone couldn't wait a few extra milliseconds for a page to load??? (seems short-sighted to me.)

This may all me mute it these archive posts can be saved separate from the purged membership.

Just my 2cents

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
making sub-categories in the classifieds maybee by models would be helpful so you don't have to sort though hundreds of post not related to what your looking for

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st, thank for a great site and giving your time and effort to keep a bunch of hobbiest's occupied. It is very much appreciated.

One of the items I keep running up against is broken links in threads, that no longer link back to archived information.

Is there a widget that could be added to the search or another tab to allow the use of a broken link address.

An example: I was trying to follow the link below, that was listed in a thread entry.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...hlight=#102135

Have a widget where we just enter #102135 sends us to the correct thread.

Isn't the 102135 some sort of serial # of the thread entry from the old site?

I notice now that the addresses are more file/database structure - nested directories and sub-directories in the address.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ss-mai...suggestions-wanted-your-input-welcome-11.html

Or is there a way to put a piece of the defunct hotlink into a format that the new site can properly interpret?

jatonka

There is no site to compare with Steel Soldiers, thank you Chris and Mike. I would like to see an index for classified ads. I will cover the manuales if you guys can take care of a classified board. John Tennis

Ditch Baby

been lurking around here, new to the site... my only opinion to make this a better place-

pictures are annoying.

having to click on each pic to see them at the END of the post , and they are small...

every other forum on the web you can throw your pics in right in line with the text... makes it great for write ups, story telling, etc, where you can throw captions under the pics. and it works very well.

the dial up point i can see, but in this day in age how many are still using it compared to people using high speed?

That is my only rant, other then that excellent site. I was just getting ready to post up pics of my deuce and just felt like giving my opinion.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the on going problem of people posting For Sale / Want Ads in the forums , simpily deleting the ads isn't doing much to stop it. Maybe adding another 100 posts for violating posting rules and a 6 month waiting period to prevent spamming posts to get the nessesary post count . And for members who can post in the classifieds but post For Sale /Want Ads in the forums they should have their classified posting privledges suspended for 6 months . It seems since the classified rule change there has been classified ads placed in the forums on a daily basis.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
been lurking around here, new to the site... my only opinion to make this a better place-

pictures are annoying.

having to click on each pic to see them at the END of the post , and they are small...

every other forum on the web you can throw your pics in right in line with the text... makes it great for write ups, story telling, etc, where you can throw captions under the pics. and it works very well.

the dial up point i can see, but in this day in age how many are still using it compared to people using high speed?

That is my only rant, other then that excellent site. I was just getting ready to post up pics of my deuce and just felt like giving my opinion.
I live "off the beaten path" and am still on dail-up. Having the pics that way is a lifesaver for me. It makes the thread open alot faster and if I see a pic I want to enlarge, i can just click that one and not enlarge them all.

ARYankee

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

What is the deal with the resources???!!!!! I have to vent! I was hoping to use the deuce parts cross reference in a database that I am creating... Does anyone have this saved????

Pinzer

Fine then, when I as a newbie to this page have no clue as to how to reply or post a notice that I am new! I would think you could have a link at the TOP which say's (FNG)? ok maybe (CLICK HERE IF YOU ARE NEW TO THIS) AND THEN ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHAT WHERE WHEN AND WHY CAN BE ANSWERED oops! I left the caps on and I can't look at the screen whilst typing.

Thanks, Pinzer:eek:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have this tiny little complaint/suggestion.

Could I please just pay an extra additional $15 or $40 or so a year and have as big a PM box as I want?

Tried to reply to wsucougar. I know, he is questionable for being a Coug fan but I just wanted to reply to his message and couldn't without deleting some other messages. Maybe those messages are real important! Nope. Had to delete some of his before I could reply to him.

I would like the opportunity to buy some server hard drive space and keep my PMs forever if need be.

Edit: If he were a Husky fan he would make much more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks