• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got a rain free day today, so I spent most of it destroying drill bits. Broke one 1/2 bit into three pieces. Got skills here, lol. Drilled and bolted on my frame rail inner plates and then the front extensions. Using mostly 5/8" grade 8 bolts. Ran out of drill bits and bolts, so more fun yet to come. Set it all in place to see how it looked. Not as macho as the OEM PTO winch, but this is what I wanted.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Bit slow today, but at least no rain. Finally got the winch fully installed and tested. Still need to finalize the power cable though. LOT of drilling! Ugg. But at least it shouldn't fall off.
I think you're right about that.

How's that old joke go?

- "If he can get out of THAT then we'll call him "Houdini"!

OldDuke6

Bit slow today, but at least no rain. Finally got the winch fully installed and tested. Still need to finalize the power cable though. LOT of drilling! Ugg. But at least it shouldn't fall off.

QJ, love the build man.. You are most definitely SLAYING it.. Now to a point to be made...

That winch.. Will and no doubt about if.. Rip right out of that mounting when pulling uphill. I respect your efforts, and as a structural engineer.. I highly advise longitudinal bracing, as that's where the torque will be. Reinforce the bolt holes at the winch and the winch plate to frame. Then you'll be golden.

Last thing I'd want to see happen is something terrible because of an oversight. Think of us, as your Quality Control, LOL!
But brother, that thing has A TON OF LIGHTS.

GIVE US A NIGHT PICTURE WITH EVERYTHING LIT UP.

Lots of respect.

Keep up the good work!

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll consider your ideas OD. But with 1/2" plate and 8 grade 8 5/8" bolts on the frame and 8.8 winch bolts and a cheap Chinese (?) winch, I'm not expecting it to move far.

QJ, love the build man.. You are most definitely SLAYING it.. Now to a point to be made...

That winch.. Will and no doubt about if.. Rip right out of that mounting when pulling uphill. I respect your efforts, and as a structural engineer.. I highly advise longitudinal bracing, as that's where the torque will be. Reinforce the bolt holes at the winch and the winch plate to frame. Then you'll be golden.

Last thing I'd want to see happen is something terrible because of an oversight. Think of us, as your Quality Control, LOL!
But brother, that thing has A TON OF LIGHTS.

GIVE US A NIGHT PICTURE WITH EVERYTHING LIT UP.

Lots of respect.

Keep up the good work!

Another Ahab

You look kind of new here OldDuke6, but wise enough to know:

- You never go wrong with a build thread by QUADJEEPER

Welcome from the Grand Old Commonwealth of Virginia.

:beer:

OldDuke6

You look kind of new here OldDuke6, but wise enough to know:

- You never go wrong with a build thread by QUADJEEPER

Welcome from the Grand Old Commonwealth of Virginia.

:beer:
Fairly new to the MV "experience", but I have cut my teeth on these M35's. I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Ak. for a number of years, and we had ALOT of them. Great trucks, 'specially the 'A2's w Winch.

Which is what garnered the concern. I have seen the PTO driven ones, when under a EXTREME load, rip off the mounts. Albeit, they were using like 4 snatch blocks, and pulling up a hill to recover a XM971 that went over the side of the mountain.

I know it seems like excessive overkill, but I would hate to see QJ go through all this work, and watch in horror as the bumper decided to take the day off.

I'm sure someone once said, "overkill leaves little room for error".

Needless to say, just food for thought brotherman.

daytonatrbo

Fairly new to the MV "experience", but I have cut my teeth on these M35's. I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Ak. for a number of years, and we had ALOT of them. Great trucks, 'specially the 'A2's w Winch.

Which is what garnered the concern. I have seen the PTO driven ones, when under a EXTREME load, rip off the mounts. Albeit, they were using like 4 snatch blocks, and pulling up a hill to recover a XM971 that went over the side of the mountain.

I know it seems like excessive overkill, but I would hate to see QJ go through all this work, and watch in horror as the bumper decided to take the day off.

I'm sure someone once said, "overkill leaves little room for error".

Needless to say, just food for thought brotherman.
I get your point. That plate is tough in a shear direction, but it may buckle if pulled straight up or down.

I would still expect it to give a lot of warning before something goes south. About the only thing that would fail suddenly and spectacularly would be the chinese winch!

OldDuke6

I get your point. That plate is tough in a shear direction, but it may buckle if pulled straight up or down.

I would still expect it to give a lot of warning before something goes south. About the only thing that would fail suddenly and spectacularly would be the chinese winch!
LMAO @ Spectacularly Fail Chinese Winch, but yeah. The TORSION from the winch would definetly stress the Grade 8 hardware holding it down. Even if the Norinco Winch held its own.. (DO they even make a winch?) Anyways, just saying the load multiplier here is the Torsion, and shear strength of the bolts. I used to work as an Aircraft Inspector, and even the most durable bolts, manufactured from UN-obtainium fail, due to age, stress, and intergranular inconsitencies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks