• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slow but steady progress today. Pulled the last crossmember in my battery box location. Also removed the air tanks. MUCH easier with the floor cutout! After checking and measuring, figured that the spare tire and winch need to come out now, instead of when I'm ready to relocate it to the rear. So I removed that, and I see that it would be good to go ahead and install my left side fuel tank brackets. Then while looking at that, I see that this would be a good time to relocate the parking brake cable to clear the tank. Drilled out the new hole for the cable through the frame and get that back in. Then installed the front tank bracket. Rear bracket next weekend. Won't be installing the tank yet as I need the space to R&R the tool box for my dual circuit master cylinder bracket. Everything seems to affect everything else. Ugg. Also will need to relocate the fuel tank filler to the other end of the tank. May try to do that myself. Plasma cutter + diesel fumes = BOOM!

Attachments

daddy2

I just finished reading the entire thread. Took me a few days, but I must say, you have done one heck of a job. The electrical work you have done is remarkable. It far exceeds my ability. I am also quite impressed by the speed that you have done it in. Then I got to the, I'm not married post. Now I don't feel so bad taking 3.5 years to do my build. I'll trade you, my wife, for a few hours of labor. I have a lot of electrical work that needs to be done on my camper. Let me know if your interested. I could fedex her to Florida this week.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished reading the entire thread. Took me a few days, but I must say, you have done one heck of a job. The electrical work you have done is remarkable. It far exceeds my ability. I am also quite impressed by the speed that you have done it in. Then I got to the, I'm not married post. Now I don't feel so bad taking 3.5 years to do my build. I'll trade you, my wife, for a few hours of labor. I have a lot of electrical work that needs to be done on my camper. Let me know if your interested. I could fedex her to Florida this week.
Ha ha ha ha!!! Not in a million years! Oh, I'm sure she is a keeper, don't get me wrong. But I'd never have the time if I was a slave, er, married. Thanks for the approval. Really electrical is easy, just think of a water hose. In one end, out the other. A hole is a leak, or a short. A kink is a stoppage, or an open circuit. Too much pressure, burst hose, melted wire. Too small of a hose, poor flow, not enough voltage for proper work. Easy. Just don't let the smoke out!

Another Ahab

Ha ha ha ha!!! Not in a million years! Oh, I'm sure she is a keeper, don't get me wrong. But I'd never have the time if I was a slave, er, married. Thanks for the approval. Really electrical is easy, just think of a water hose. In one end, out the other. A hole is a leak, or a short. A kink is a stoppage, or an open circuit. Too much pressure, burst hose, melted wire. Too small of a hose, poor flow, not enough voltage for proper work. Easy. Just don't let the smoke out!
That's one way to look at it:

- Pretty good for starters!

daddy2

No where similar to plumbing. Diodes and fuses and wire nuts. It's just easier to fedex the wife. I'll be expecting you here next month for a few days of labor.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very sluggish today, not much done. :( Picked up a load of plywood and sheet foam for the floor. Then installed a crossbrace in the front edge of the box to help offset removing the 1st and 2nd braces for battery box clearance. I don't think it is going to go anywhere. Finished installing the fuel tank brackets and relocating the left box locator bracket. Just set the fuel tank in place to see how it fits and looks. Will be pulling it back out to relocate the filler and also to remove the toolbox so I can change out the master cylinder bracket.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another sluggish day, been fighting some health issues. Got a little boost from RAYZER today. He came by to liberate some parts, and then helped me ( he did it all ) replace my worn out passenger door latch. I did get the battery compartment frame started. Cut it out of bed frames and welded/bolted it in. Now I need to frame down to the floor of the compartment and get it lined.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Another sluggish day, been fighting some health issues. Got a little boost from RAYZER today. He came by to liberate some parts, and then helped me ( he did it all ) replace my worn out passenger door latch. I did get the battery compartment frame started. Cut it out of bed frames and welded/bolted it in. Now I need to frame down to the floor of the compartment and get it lined.
That looks really sharp:

- Is that angle-iron brass?

- Or is it painted desert-tan?

Can't really tell which, but looks real great.

Another Ahab

Thanks AA. It is bed frame steel, still in the green color that it was painted. Just looks like an odd shade due to the flash.
Reminds me of the joke about Tootie Greene:

- "Reverend, is that tootie green!?

- "No son, I think is's just the way the light from the Church windows is a-shining on it".

Last edited:

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a little progress this weekend. Primered the steel ( rust) floor with some galvanizing spray. Still need to cut out the rusted out rear floor and install some replacement steel. Also got the battery compartment framework done, now need to install the sheetmetal sides and the plywood bottom.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the battery compartment is pretty much done. Cut out the front and rear panels for the vents, added hardware cloth on the outside and screen inside to keep some of the critters out. Painted both sides of the plywood floor and bolted it down. Sealed it all the way around other than a drain point at the rear. Floor slopes down to the rear to help drain. Then I lined the box with a rubber mat type of material to somewhat cushion the batteries and give me a bit of insulation just in case I drop a hot cable down the side of a battery. Set 6 batteries in, fit quite well. Two more will fit with no problem. Fit one sheet of the first of two layers of foam board floor insulation. Will be two layers plus plywood on the main floor to be able to be level with the wheel wells once I put a single foam board and plywood on those.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Well the battery compartment is pretty much done. Cut out the front and rear panels for the vents, added hardware cloth on the outside and screen inside to keep some of the critters out. Painted both sides of the plywood floor and bolted it down. Sealed it all the way around other than a drain point at the rear. Floor slopes down to the rear to help drain. Then I lined the box with a rubber mat type of material to somewhat cushion the batteries and give me a bit of insulation just in case I drop a hot cable down the side of a battery.
That looks really sharp QUADJEEPER.

Is the liner 1/8"? And where did you get it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks