• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

1bonehead

I will gladly place second in the process. I missed that. Tube steel with plastic deck board with AstroTurf held on by aluminum angle trim along the four edges?

Another Ahab

I will gladly place second in the process. I missed that. Tube steel with plastic deck board with AstroTurf held on by aluminum angle trim along the four edges?
I wonder if there's a marine solution to the problem:

- Almost anything that needs to be rust-resistant and all-weather has a boating solution to it.

Maybe a little time wandering around a West Marine store (or the website) might suggest a few good ideas...maybe.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe just marine grade plywood with some anti-slip paint (the non-abrasive kind, polystyrene beads), just might do the trick.
Yeah, plywood would ( wood?) be easy but I donno. Kinda want something else. I'm fussy, but not sure why on this. Keep the suggestions coming, I'll decide on something. Thanks for the idea's.

Another Ahab

Plywood is not a second-rate product (just for the record):

- The PT Boats of WWII were all built from plywood.

What makes the sheets "marine" grade is the glue (marine grade uses waterproof glues between the plies).

I'm not saying that it's a premium product or anything, but only that there's nothing about it that is inherently "inferior".

Mos68x

QJ, finally got finished readin the entire thread and I gotta say that you've done some really nice work on your 109. I just hope that when I start building on mine, whatever it is, it will at least not look like trash. I'd love to have a XLWB but there is no tellin what I actually get so I'm just gonna have to wing it.

As for your current "perdicament"....the marine grade plywood suggestion, but add a non-slip grip coating, would be your best bet. The decking is a good idea, but more expensive than I'd want to spend for what it will be, not to mention I would be really concerned about having a slick surface, whether it be mud or plain rain, 4ft above the ground. Just remember that most falls that end up in serious injury are only 4ft to 6ft, and I'd hate for you to get as far as you have on your build just to get injured and not be able to enjoy it. I would strongly suggest to use the expanded metal as that would give the best traction as well as easily and quickly shed rain and mud, however I think I can understand the reluctance to use it.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Another Ahab

As for your current "perdicament"....the marine grade plywood suggestion, but add a non-slip grip coating, would be your best bet. The decking is a good idea, but more expensive than I'd want to spend for what it will be, not to mention I would be really concerned about having a slick surface, whether it be mud or plain rain, 4ft above the ground. Just remember that most falls that end up in serious injury are only 4ft to 6ft, and I'd hate for you to get as far as you have on your build just to get injured and not be able to enjoy it. I would strongly suggest to use the expanded metal as that would give the best traction as well as easily and quickly shed rain and mud, however I think I can understand the reluctance to use it.
Expanded metal seems the best solution except for the barefoot issue (and camping, it's going to happen).

I ran across this material a year or two back, but I've never used it for anything. It might be a compromise between the plywood and the expanded metal:

- Lay it like decking (with a gap), and that will give you both drainage and foot traction.

What do you think?

Last edited:

turnkey

Ho Hos are nice for a road trip also...That is one A^^ kicking build....Just keeps going and going, Thanks for the great Ideas also...By the way How much do you charge the kids at the Ice Cream window for a Kooldick bar...Hummmmmmmmm great on a hot day...

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expanded metal seems the best solution except for the barefoot issue (and camping, it's going to happen).

I ran across this material a year or two back, but I've never used it for anything. It might be a compromise between the plywood and the expanded metal:

- Lay it like decking (with a gap), and that will give you both drainage and foot traction.

What do you think?

Sounds good but pricey and hard to get.

1bonehead

Did you get a pm from SS member who has boards? He sent me a message but I am wondering if he meant to send it to you. He has some boards he will give you for this if you want them.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get a pm from SS member who has boards? He sent me a message but I am wondering if he meant to send it to you. He has some boards he will give you for this if you want them.
Thanks 1bone, just got home and called him, he had already left home. Doubt that it would be cost effective to ship them.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a little more progress this weekend. Put a few more temporary frame bolts in, will soon be using a mag drill for 26 real bolts. Pulled off the old air line fittings from the old frame and secured the existing fittings and lines for now. Getting truck road ready for upcoming Memorial Day parade. Got the bumperettes, pintle hitch and receiver hitch installed. Made new brackets for the taillamps and turn signals. Will be wiring next weekend. Also found some scrap plywood etc., laying around to make a temporary deck next weekend for the parade.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks