• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next Project an ASMH

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone out there that has an M62, don't know if 543 is the same, can you take a picture of the fixed arm on the trans cross shaft so that I can see if ours is correct or might have incorrect parts installed?
Finally got 1st cut hay and new ditching done, beating the current spell of bad weather.. I forgot that you had posted pics of what you needed but this morning I grabbed some pics, don't know if they will help you but here goes

20240608_093332.jpg

20240608_093313.jpg

20240608_093439.jpg

20240608_093501.jpg

20240608_093528.jpg

20240608_093547.jpg

20240608_093544.jpg

20240608_093603.jpg

20240608_093608.jpg

20240608_093232.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How were they secured? Any pictures?
somewhere along the line of 4 owners (3 of them gov't entities), all of the tools , spades, spreaderbar, etc were taken from my truck before it went out to bid .. The only things they didn't rob were the full sets of tire chains

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

This M62 is on display at the 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City. ( https://www.okngmuseum.com/ )

This place has a wrecker on display. See if you can send them a mail and ask for the TM 9-837, and any other thing you might need. Cant hurt.
I actually reached out to them via phone. Very helpful! They are in process of boxing up ALL of their publications and sending them off to somewhere else, the lady told me where, but, CRS ya know! They said they, their publications, are just taking up space and they want them gone. She said they will look through their inventory list and, if they do have it, they will just mail it to us as they don't want it any more.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got 1st cut hay and new ditching done, beating the current spell of bad weather.. I forgot that you had posted pics of what you needed but this morning I grabbed some pics, don't know if they will help you but here goes

View attachment 925377

View attachment 925376

View attachment 925379

View attachment 925380

View attachment 925381

View attachment 925383

View attachment 925382

View attachment 925384

View attachment 925385

View attachment 925386
Thank you sir! I see you are missing the governor actuation link for the rear winch.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a bit more TS on the wrecker. With the help of "soldier B", that would be the @BLK HMMWV guy, he actually stayed off the phone, we located the majority of the air leaks. They were the lines for the rear winch clutch lever. The fittings were falling off! The gauge on the dash says there is only 90 psi in the tank when running and I never hear the governor kick the compressor out, so, I pigged the tank with shop air, that's how we found the leaks, and the governor does indeed unload the compressor but who knows at what psi, gauge reads 90. I decided to see if the governor goodies on the PTO worked, so, with the idle set at 1500 RPM, t-case N, PTO engaged, 5th gear, I went under the truck and moved the lever attached to the rear winch levers. The idle goes down to apx 1100 RPM with the lever in what would be winch engage position, goes back to 1500 when moved to the dis engage position, so that works, but has not a to do with the hydraulic pump not pumping deal. We did try it with the shut off valve in multiple positions, control levers in different positions trying to bleed it, still no juice being pumped. I guess that means a (or multiple) stuck vanes or a pump not turning. I'll leave that until I get back from Kern River. It is going to be a heavy, awkward overhead, messy job.

I did a bit of cosmetic stuff. I decided to label the control levers as well as "refurbish" the corroded, faded, illegible data plated for the controls.

I gave the plates a good sand with a mouse sander, self etched the aluminun, flat blacked them and let them sit a week. For the levers, just gave the knobs a clean up, coat of black and a letter on each, B, H, C, S. Made some 1/4 inch stencils and a lay out board. The first set was a bit time consuming, getting all of the boards cut to the right size, then after that it was just a "cut and paste" of the size needed to get the lines all lined up. The pictures make it seem that there is a ton of bleed on the tags, but there really isn't. Don't know why the phone camera makes them show up in a not sharp way.

Got the Nat'l Symbol on the doors, reg number will go on the hood, TP markings, markings on the boom and whatever else needs stenciling will be done soon.

Pics soon, for some reason, they got uploaded to the puter as a jfif?knobs.jpgtemplate.jpgdata plate.jpgdata plates.jpg

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you sir! I see you are missing the governor actuation link for the rear winch.
don't sir me ! .. lol ,, I am heading home later today or tomor and will try again.. Am looking back in your posts to see what you wanted.. Next trick is remembering your picture of what you needed .. Maybe i will take a pic of your pic, good idea

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This M62 is on display at the 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City. ( https://www.okngmuseum.com/ )
One of my pet peeves is when military museums, of all places where you would think they have experienced factual sources, posting misinformation about trucks, armor, etc... In this case they say Reo is the builder of their 5T M62 .... wow :rolleyes:

They sure have found a unicorn :cautious:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my pet peeves is when military museums, of all places where you would think they have experienced factual sources, posting misinformation about trucks, armor, etc... In this case they say Reo is the builder of their 5T M62 .... wow :rolleyes:

They sure have found a unicorn :cautious:
I saw that. Remember though, this is not an Army Museum, it is the National Guard Museum. Now I am not throwing stones at our Guardsmen, HOWEVER, the wrecker I am currently neck deep in was a NG unit. I can testify that the work performed on this unit was not the best. I am trying to rectify the issues I come in contact with as I go.

This was taken in to the Museum inventory directly from NG. The whole time in the Museum's possession, the two inside drivers tires have been low. I had tried in the past to air them up, but couldn't find the stems on those two wheels. I figured someone just didn't align the stems with the holes in the outer wheel, the holes were not aligned on both of the drivers rear sets. Well, come to find out, not only did they not align the holes on the wheels, they actually, SOMEHOW, got the stems between the wheels and smashed the stems flat! Inner thimbles were loose and slathered in never seize, outers were 1/2 inch impact sorta tight. Air lines, battery cables, harnesses are, well most of them, rubbing on things that rotate! Which reminds be I need to fix the B+ cable before I move the truck again, it is hard against the front drive shaft.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air lines, battery cables, harnesses are, well most of them, rubbing on things that rotate! Which reminds be I need to fix the B+ cable before I move the truck again, it is hard against the front drive shaft.
getting under mine to take pics for you in places i've never had to go while doing lube , i spotted some hyd lines on mine that are resting hard on things cutting into the jackets .. yikes .. . time to grab some old tube flap material and zip ties

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks