• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

too much bandwidth required

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...waiting for steel soldiers.....transferring data.....waiting for google ad......waiting for google adpage 2......transferring data.....

Does our page have to bee so complicated ?? Yes, there is no issue with T1 line, but with the aircard its discouraging: I can get a latte made during the time it takes to load the fancy homepage 8D

3dAngus

Or try loading the "Today's Post" page, in lieu of the Home page.

If it is faster, use it for a SS link to come to, instead of the home page.

They are both loaded up, but not a problem in the home where a decent speed internet connection is available. Pops right up on either.

There is not as much stuff on "Todays Post" as there is on the Home page so it might be a little faster for a slower connection as yours is.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to build Internet Service Providers from the ground up in a previous life and this came up all the time. Unless you pay for unlimited bandwidth and have guaranteed Quality of Service (QoS) your connection is what it is.

The SS website is NOT the problem.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Or try loading the "Today's Post" page, in lieu of the Home page.

If it is faster, use it for a SS link to come to, instead of the home page.

They are both loaded up, but not a problem in the home where a decent speed internet connection is available. Pops right up on either.
Won't make a difference. His connection is the issue.

3dAngus

I'm sure you're right. I'm seeing less data to download on the "Today's Post" page then the Home page so I just thought it might be worth a try, for a slow service.
If he had a decent speed internet connection this would not be an issue, for sure.

Patracy, do you remember the days when we used to drop a phone in the carrier for a modem connection, or was that before your time.
Then, after that, we had little boxes we wired up outside our computer called modems that hooked up to the POTS, or plain old telephone system.
Then, we got DSL.
Then we got high speed cable and all kinds of other capability.

We've come a long ways. Can't wait for the world to get wired up and we can drive from one end of this country to the other and listen to Pandora Radio on the internet connection in your car, without interruption. It would beat the heck out of a smart phone connection.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, do you remember the days when we used to drop a phone in the carrier for a modem connection, or was that before your time.
Then, after that, we had little boxes we wired up outside our computer called modems that hooked up to the POTS, or plain old telephone system.
Then, we got DSL.
Then we got high speed cable and all kinds of other capability.
If Drew don't remember I do. I just threw away some 300BAUD modems last year. I think there was acoustic coupler in the box as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Acoustic couplers were before my time really. But I've played with them before. I started out with a 1200 baud modem.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I thought he used smoke signals? I heard him fussing about those newfangled cans and strings.

3dAngus

:3dAngus: 300 baud?

Shoot, they might want that for the museum at Wright Patterson.

That's where I went to my first, away from home, micro-computer school by the way. After that, I had the good fortune of traveling the country from one end to the other, wherever there was a school. It was great fun, but I absolutely loved that Z100 school at Wright Pat in Ohio and the Instructor there is the one who made me fall in love with computers.

That was back in the late 80s. 300 baud. Ha! Oh, and I bet you bought it when it was "State of the Art" technology.:3dAngus:

Steve, could you imagine the complaints the site would get if everybody were using 300 baud modems. It would take 8 hours to load one page.

o1951

If Drew don't remember I do. I just threw away some 300BAUD modems last year. I think there was acoustic coupler in the box as well.
I used and remember all - got rid of 300 baud at least 20 years ago. then 1200 external, 2400 internal cards.......
Freshman year college - 1960's, Acoustic coupler and punch cards were state of the art.

Last edited:

3dAngus

My wife took Keypunch, called Computer Programming, in college. Computer took up the whole room, and there were stacks and stacks of boxes of keypunch cards in the classroom.
Dropped out and went into Optician School.

Anyway, anyone remember those old Osborne Computers? I think they had 12" floppy disks. Some of the first floppies. A friend of mine had one. Never knew what you did with it.

quickfarms

In college I had a zenith z183 laptop LOL, if was really more of a portable computer but one professor believed if it was done on a computer it had to be right!!!

The good old days of pagers before cell phones.

MarcusOReallyus

My first computer was a CP/M machine. Don't remember the brand. It had TWO floppy disks! Wow! And each one could hold.... I forget. 320k or something ridiculous. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.