• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

too much bandwidth required

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, OK, its a slow connection, I get that and I knew that when I posted. I'm saying that the page is uneccesarily complicated, what with banners blinking and whos on and GL pictures, etcetera. Geez , with all that stuff there is a teensy weensy place to log in, THAT ought to be bigger and more important. Its ironic that I have to have the latest internet technology to learn how to fix 50 yr old trucks that have no technology at all. Oh, I had a TRS-80 back in the day and it was the greatest !!! Pong I was good at, but Asteroids ate all my quarters so had to give it up.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too complicated at any speed. There are (I just counted) Ninety-seven categories to choose from. I didn't see a forum for left-hand threaded lug nuts, I expect that is coming soon. No, no hard feelings, but I'm out. Have a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous New Year !!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Too complicated at any speed. There are (I just counted) Ninety-seven categories to choose from. I didn't see a forum for left-hand threaded lug nuts, I expect that is coming soon. No, no hard feelings, but I'm out. Have a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous New Year !!
I agree, there's too many categories. But people complain if they don't get their own here. I can assure you the extra text that it takes to merely show the categories isn't a huge drain on your slow connection. As for the google ads and other things you mentioned, the bills have to be paid...

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my internet connection is only an issue with websites that cram too many ads and other crap, causing some users to experience excessive waits.
Then say, "it's your problem, you should upgrade"
I can still view most web sites without the slowness issue of places like this who think everyone has tons of money to dump in their computer & services and should have the best & fastest equipment to play on their sites. These sites will loose the valuable insights of many, due to their arrogance.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
my internet connection is only an issue with websites that cram too many ads and other crap, causing some users to experience excessive waits.
I can still view most web sites without the slowness issue of places like this who think everyone has tons of money to dump in their computer & services and should have the best & fastest equipment to play on their sites. These sites will loose the valuable insights of many, due to their arrogance.
There wasn't any arrogance on my behalf. Want to see a advertisement choked forum? Go look at anything owned by vertical scope. (BTW, they tried to buy steel soldiers a while back...if you guys ain't happy with the site right now, I'd love to see it if they ran the show) We have three advertisements. One being the google banner ad in the top left. (No control of what's there) Forum advertisers (they pay to advertise here). And the GL ad block on the left. Vertical scope has even started cramming ads into forum threads via "fake" accounts. As well as inserting banner adds where possible.

Advertisements are a necessary evil. Without them, the bandwidth we use monthly would be all on Chris to pay. I can see him footing 100% of the bill for everyone's benefit can't you? (retorical question)

We're not cramming the site with advertisements. Not by any means.

On the other hand, the part about "not having the best and fastest". So we should penalize the site and not move forwards? I'm sorry, but that unfortunately isn't how the IT world works. If that were the case, we'd still be on Windows 3.1. There's been a lot of teeth gnashing over the upgrade. I knew that'd happen going into it. Unfortunately it's just something that comes with it.

(BTW, I have slow DSL at home and find it painful at times to work on the site as well. So much so that I pay out of my own pocket for a fast internet at my shop to work on things here.)

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It typically takes at least 30 seconds to load a page here.
While over at G503.com pages take 8 to 10 seconds to load
same PC, same ISP connection, two browser windows open (not tabs).
Funny thing is g503 opens up and is actually viewable with a standard crt monitor and resolution settings that I have. Same over at fgmcc.com, works good.
Yet I have to zoom out on here to view the page correctly and then magnify to read the text.
but the problems with this forum are all on my end.....................

No offense meant to the man who works his butt off taking care this site.
Just trying to point out an issue that greatly detracts from the experience here.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately the load times of the google ads are all over the board. It's a matter of "luck of the draw" most of the time. That probably is the highest factor on page loads here. The site benefits from the ads to help fund the site. So it's a catch 22. :(

3dAngus

Not to be argumentative, just to be informative.

By contrast, it takes about two seconds to load any page on SS on my home computer, whether it be desktop, or laptop, which is slowed down even further because it in on an in house wireless connection.

My provider is cable internet and it is just a normal cable connection, with no frills. They call it broadband but I call it marketing. I can't remember now, but it seems SS had a setting where you could adjust the text size for reading. I'll look and see if I can find that, if it exists, unless someone much more knowledgeable can answer it quickly for us. (NO, I'm mistaken this with something else, my bad)

I pay about $50 per month for my "broadband" internet connection. I have been fortunate, with this provider, where they do not throttle me down during peak hours like many other internet providers. This means, during peak surfing hours, when more people on the block, or in the neighborhood get on the connection, you get slower service. Sometimes it's the result of speed limitations, sometimes it is intentional where you get cut back on service from your provider, so they can continue to provide service to all the other users coming on line in your immediate area.

You pay what you get for. The other issues of having different sizing issues on what you see and read are your settings on your computer, or whatever it is you are using, and if it is a smartphone or something of that nature rather then an in home computer, disregard this comment as I am not even going there.

In any case, in spite of your problems, I hope you find something here that may be of interest or may help in some small way. It's not the site, IMHO.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I pay about $50 per month for my "broadband" internet connection. I have been fortunate, with this provider, where they do not throttle me down during peak hours like many other internet providers. This means, during peak surfing hours, when more people on the block, or in the neighborhood get on the connection, you get slower service.

No, that's not what throttling means. Throttling is a deliberate restriction on your speeds to reduce your bandwidth consumption. Some cable providers do this, all satellite providers do this. It's done to make sure everyone gets their fair share.

More people using it at the same times means you get lower throughput. That's not throttling. That's just the limitation of any shared resource. When there's a finite amount, and more people are using it, there's less for each person. It's very much like having your shower get cold when someone turns on a hot water tap downstairs. There's only so much water pressure in your plumbing, and if it's not really good, you'll notice this effect.

This is NOT throttling.

MarcusOReallyus

I don't know what websites you are using, but this site is not "crammed with ads". Not by a long shot. Neither is it a very complicated site. More categories don't make a penny's worth of difference in the loading speed.

You can speed up your experience here, and everywhere else, by using a hosts file to block ads, as I posted earlier. It's 100% free, except for the time to do it. It's a simple process, completely customizable, and even easily reversible. Anyone who can follow simple instructions can do it.

Highly recommended for people with slow connections. The other benefit is that you don't see any more ads.

MarcusOReallyus

It typically takes at least 30 seconds to load a page here.
While over at G503.com pages take 8 to 10 seconds to load
same PC, same ISP connection, two browser windows open (not tabs).
Funny thing is g503 opens up and is actually viewable with a standard crt monitor and resolution settings that I have. Same over at fgmcc.com, works good.
Yet I have to zoom out on here to view the page correctly and then magnify to read the text.
That ain't right.

I think there's something more going on here than a slow connection. Bob, if you'll work with me a bit, I'll have you run through some drills and see if we can figure it out.

If you are willing, first thing to do is give me the specs on your computer. Processor, RAM, video, monitor type, and monitor settings. Also your operating system and browser, including what version you are using.

Then do a speedtest for me at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest. Choose the server that's closest to you.

Lemme know - I'll monitor this thread.

3dAngus

I know exactly what throttling down is.
I can see, by rereading my words, how you could very easily take it all out of context.

Many internet providers result to throttling down to high useage users during peak hours so there is more bandwidth for the rest of the neighbors.
But as far as the rest of what you are saying, it is totally true.
I was not referring to block throughput, individual throughput, or anything else you refer to by way of bandwidth consumption.

I use a lot of streaming data on my stock trading, and in real time. It is a bandwidth hog. Some vendors have had to cut back on my useage during those peak hours in the past. It was forced, not limited by way of sharing bandwidth in neighborhood useage. There's a difference. I've experienced both, is all I'm saying, and it has been confirmed by a couple of different internet providers I've worked with in the past. The one I'm working with now have guaranteed NOT to throttle me down at any time of day so I get the same throughput regardless of how many other neighbors come on line. Testing validates.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That ain't right.

I think there's something more going on here than a slow connection. Bob, if you'll work with me a bit, I'll have you run through some drills and see if we can figure it out.

If you are willing, first thing to do is give me the specs on your computer. Processor, RAM, video, monitor type, and monitor settings. Also your operating system and browser, including what version you are using.

Then do a speedtest for me at www.speakeasy.net/speedtest. Choose the server that's closest to you.

Lemme know - I'll monitor this thread.
Ummm, I listed two others forums with ads and lots of content that load 3 times faster than SS and show correctly on a little old monitor.
But it's my system that makes SS take 3 times as long, with everything stacked on top of everything because there is no side to side scroll bar here.????????????
( that last issue reared it's ugly head with the recent site downgrade )
As I said above old school CRT monitor 19"
800x600 resolution
64 meg NVIDIA graphics card
256k DSL
IE 8 & Firefox 17

sys info.jpg

at the office I have a newer & faster pc,(not new or that fast) with intigrated graphics, faster ISP
still have an old school crt (limited width space at my desk)
XP & IE8 there also
same performance issues, SS takes about 3 times as long as the other sites from that one.

Remember, these problems only present themselves on this site.

Now that I've wasted a half hour putting this post together..................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.