• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade complete

Ford Mechanic

In the search function I don't see how to limit which sections the results come from? In other words limiting searches for results from sections like Duece, Duece hotrodding and mods, or classifieds? Or have I just not found the right function yet?

Looking better every day, I've noticed tweaks seems like every time I've been up here. And about the Avatar comment, yeah I know it was really benifit to it being there.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew, it's not urgent or anything , but when you get time. The link for the MEP WIKI article listed at the top of the Aux Equipment forum gives you the 404 error. So far the only way to access the WIKI is through the link in Luckydog's signature.

rickf

I think the problem here is that the threads are coming in to fast to read them all. There are usually 10 new pages between visits for me and there is no way I have time to read ten pages. The bit about the old way of seeing the the past threads that keeps coming up? I know you say it is never coming back but what the people are telling you is that they all liked it. They are all having the same issue, too many pages to read between visits. That is why I liked that feature, when I log in at work I have 15 to 30 minutes tops. Back then I could look through all that was fresh in the last 24 hours and decide what to look at. Now I would have to peruse all these active things so I just don't log on during the day. Too frustrating. I will hang in there and hope it improves. I know you told me to subscribe to the forums I like but I like them all and I commented on them all and with this setup I can not see what is happening on them all. Do you know what I mean? Maybe I am missing a setting or something?

Rick

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drew, it's not urgent or anything , but when you get time. The link for the MEP WIKI article listed at the top of the Aux Equipment forum gives you the 404 error. So far the only way to access the WIKI is through the link in Luckydog's signature.
The links are invalid. We didn't reinstall the wiki addon. So the Wikis are becoming articles. So far I've only done the CUCV one. (I keep getting pulled in other directions)

I think the problem here is that the threads are coming in to fast to read them all. There are usually 10 new pages between visits for me and there is no way I have time to read ten pages. The bit about the old way of seeing the the past threads that keeps coming up? I know you say it is never coming back but what the people are telling you is that they all liked it. They are all having the same issue, too many pages to read between visits. That is why I liked that feature, when I log in at work I have 15 to 30 minutes tops. Back then I could look through all that was fresh in the last 24 hours and decide what to look at. Now I would have to peruse all these active things so I just don't log on during the day. Too frustrating. I will hang in there and hope it improves. I know you told me to subscribe to the forums I like but I like them all and I commented on them all and with this setup I can not see what is happening on them all. Do you know what I mean? Maybe I am missing a setting or something?

Rick
In all honesty, you were missing alot from the old way as well. I realized that people liked it. But it was horrible from a server perspective to operate and maintain. It will not be returning.

Another option is to use the "today's posts" under the quick links menu of the main forum page. That will result all the threads that have happened in the past day.

rickf

BINGO! That will work, I think if you give that answer to all the others saying the same thing it will alleviate some of the issues. I will mention it when I see the question asked.
Now, How do I get that to open when I log in?

Rick

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The links are invalid. We didn't reinstall the wiki addon. So the Wikis are becoming articles. So far I've only done the CUCV one. (I keep getting pulled in other directions)

That is exactly why I said it wasn't urgent. I know you are SUPER BUSY with the upgrade and the little annoyances that come along with it. I just wanted to let you know in case it had slipped through the cracks. Keep up the good work and Thank you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "New Post" button is my new best friend. While not exactly like the retired site, it's close enough to keep me quite happy.

Rory, I may know the problem. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Below the text that says "Previous Thread Next Thread" there will be a small title bar that says "Thread Information" At the far right is a little box you can click to expand the box with the members online.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm starting to dig around and get a feel for it. Drew, thanks for your and everyone that helped hard work. It is a daunting task for sure. The little tweaks made since the upgrade have made things even better.

Like the old turnovers, it takes awhile to get everything back up and functioning 100%.

I'm excited to see the member map back eventually as well.

Keep up the good work, this place is too good to not learn the new system and 'give up' on it.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way to make the "new posts" page continuous instead of broken up into many pages? I like having the option to set the number of posts to 40 for viewing threads. That makes it easier and faster to look through things. The old site "new posts" page was continuous for a large number of posts or a time frame. The new site "new posts" looks like only 25 or so thread titles per page.

It would be nice if the "new posts" page was just one page covering a 24 hour period or a fixed number of threads.

Thanks for changing the colors to make things easier to read.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Is there any way to make the "new posts" page continuous instead of broken up into many pages? I like having the option to set the number of posts to 40 for viewing threads. That makes it easier and faster to look through things. The old site "new posts" page was continuous for a large number of posts or a time frame. The new site "new posts" looks like only 25 or so thread titles per page.
It would be nice if the "new posts" page was just one page covering a 24 hour period or a fixed number of threads.
Thanks for changing the colors to make things easier to read.
Click on "Forum" then "Quick Links" and select "Today's Posts" from the boxy thingy...worked for me...I'm a happy camper.

fireman5199

Search question. The old search had a option to show the results threads or posts with the search items in it. The new just shows threads. Is there a way to see the individual posts with your search terms in them instead of digging through the threads, like on the old site? Thanks Guys.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Search question. The old search had a option to show the results threads or posts with the search items in it. The new just shows threads. Is there a way to see the individual posts with your search terms in them instead of digging through the threads, like on the old site? Thanks Guys.
I don't like the new search setup. I'm looking for a more extensive search option right now.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drew, Google still works just fine for searching the site.

Plug into Google
site:steelsoldiers.com group 31 batteries

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The links are invalid. (I keep getting pulled in other directions)...

...In all honesty, you were missing a lot from the old way as well. I realized that people liked it. But it was horrible from a server perspective to operate and maintain. It will not be returning.

...Another option is to use the "today's posts" under the quick links menu of the main forum page. That will result all the threads that have happened in the past day.
I know you have a lot of work trying to tweak the new setup and answer all problems, so you don't need extra work. Maybe this could help reduce the questions and help people adjust as well. What about a separate one-post sticky thread with "how to work with the new site". On that page, just stick one-liners about questions and known problems, tweaks in the pipeline etc.

As example how your answers from above could be mentioned on that page:

- Not working links to wikis.
We didn't reinstall the wiki addon. So the Wikis are becoming articles. So far I've only done the CUCV one, the rest will come time allowing.

- Finding what recent threads were added or updated

Another option is to use the "today's posts" under the quick links menu of the main forum page. That will result all the threads that have happened in the past day.

- etc, etc
It should reduce the questions and the next time an already answered question comes up you can refer to the sticky thread and tell people to keep reading that thread because it will be up-dated regularly. Make sure only you can update and add to that post-thread to avoid getting the next discussion in that thread as well.

Without reading throughout this thread and keep reading where I left off last time, I never would have found the remark about the links to today's threads and I don't think I would have found it without that remark, at least not very quickly. This way some of us old grumpies get a sort of guide as well how to handle the new site better and get the old satisfied feeling back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks