• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V100 mods

wgtactical

Subscribed. Maybe even a little over the top, but... a Happenin' thread!
Thank you:-D

Awesome rig I can only dream
That's the first step:wink:

Here's the transfer case we are rebuilding/upgrading for this machine. We'll be replacing the ball bearings with roller bearings that can be properly pre-loaded. Also adding a pump that will be driven from the first idler shaft (which is also the slowest turning of the two idler shafts) that will deliver a steady oil flow to the top set of bearings as well as pushing the oil through the oil cooler. The flanged bearing adapters along with the yellow zinc plated caps are just a few of the new fabrications necessary for this upgrade.

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

Indeed, hard to find for sure. We paid $12K for a transfer case years ago from Jamaica and were glad to pay that. Luckily they are overbuilt.

Another Ahab

Here's the transfer case we are rebuilding/upgrading for this machine. We'll be replacing the ball bearings with roller bearings that can be properly pre-loaded. Also adding a pump that will be driven from the first idler shaft (which is also the slowest turning of the two idler shafts) that will deliver a steady oil flow to the top set of bearings as well as pushing the oil through the oil cooler. The flanged bearing adapters along with the yellow zinc plated caps are just a few of the new fabrications necessary for this upgrade.
You clearly know what you're doing. VERY impressive.

wgtactical

You clearly know what you're doing. VERY impressive.
Thanks for the kind words!

Indeed, hard to find for sure. We paid $12K for a transfer case years ago from Jamaica and were glad to pay that. Luckily they are overbuilt.
We've been able to reverse engineer the entire case and are considering building our own at some point but our gearcase will be fully machined and we'll probably have a couple different ratio options to choose from as well.

Another Ahab

If you all ever open a satellite shop up here in the Mid-Atlantic area, please broadcast the news.

I'd go to it for any kind of custom work ever needed, in a heartbeat.

Rickv100

WG,
Did the Guatemalan Armadillo play a part in your designs? It looks very similar

dscf0031eu0.jpg

Supposedly the Guatemalans built their own transfer cases in the 1980's.

Rick

Last edited:

wgtactical

WG,
Did the Guatemalan Armadillo play a part in your designs? It looks very similar

View attachment 466061

Supposedly the Guatemalans built their own transfer cases in the 1980's.

Rick
That is the first time I've seen that machine and it certainly looks interesting. However, my inspiration for the Cummins conversion came via a gentleman that goes by the screen name of trades2much on here. He had repowered a LAV150 for Linn county SWAT in Oregon and I was so impressed with his project that I picked up a Cummins commonrail and a Allison 1000 for my own. Additionally a lot of imagination and 3-D computer aided design made the curb appeal and creature comforts come to life.

Rickv100

dscf0017rc7.jpg

Photo from the front of the Armadillo. TNJ Murray(or its predecessor) was shipping axles to them in the 90's for the Armadillo.

Rick

Rickv100

The Armadillo's are another offshoot of the V100 family tree. Chiamite, Dragoon ASV300, Armadillo are all similar.

Rick

Another Ahab

Wonder what that hardware is off the roof of the vehicle?

And I'm guessing that's a davit crane of some kind at the rear…anybody know? Rickv100?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The T-looking things are the open gunner's-hatch doors. Each side of the hatch door has a vertical plate attached: when opened, the vertical piece hits the edge of the ring and holds the hatch door at roughly a 45 degree angle. Makes a decent little bullet trap to protect the gunners sides. Somewhat.

Hopefully the attached pictures will clarify my description.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The T-looking things are the open gunner's-hatch doors. Each side of the hatch door has a vertical plate attached: when opened, the vertical piece hits the edge of the ring and holds the hatch door at roughly a 45 degree angle. Makes a decent little bullet trap to protect the gunners sides. Somewhat.

Cheers
I hear you: "Guarantee by the Manufacturer is Expressly Limited"!

My thanks to all for the clarifications. The Armadillo looks like a real tight little piece of rolling iron.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Armadillo is indeed a cool looking vehicle. It came about when the US refused to supply them with any more V100s because of some perceived annoyance, so they built their own version.

The attached picture shows the hatch closed, you can see the attached almost-vertical piece.
Also one with the guns on.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks