• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VA Rally

CGarbee

That looks like a lot of fun! I am seriously thinking about packing up the family, the family and heading down for the weekend!

Is there a running tally of members that are going?
I don't have a running tally of members who are going... For planning purposes (Saturday's BBQ), I don't really count folks until I get a registration form from them...
That said, you can count up the folks who have responded to this post, add about a dozen members of the Lost Jeepers 4x4 Club (who have been doing a lot of the trail building), a handful of folks who talked to me at Aberdeen who are active on the M715Zone, G838 or G503 forums but not hear, and you get about thirty folks who have said that they are coming so far....

The nice thing is that we get to use all the Lodge facilities for the rally, and there are a lot of things for families to do so if folks don't want to OD on the green vehicles or trailrides, they don't have to, they can hike, hang out at the pool, tour the nearby wineries/antique shops/historic sites, shop, horseback ride (extra fee), etc...

We'll also be taking a page from the NCRally this past April and will be having truck games on Saturday afternoon (so that folks have something to do while the pig is cooking).

Hope to see a bunch of you in late August. :)

Last edited:

JSF01

This sounds like fun count me in, though I have never done any trail riding before so I hope there will be things an absolute beginer can do.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can hang onto a vehicle as it climbs a 20 degree slope made of gravel, leaves, moss and rotten wood, you'll be fine! Somebody else will have room in their MV and can probably use a little extra weight to help with traction. It's even more fun going down the same trails!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to get the wife to go on vacation to graves Mtn. She can ride horses, and I can ride MV's.

CGarbee

JSF01: Actually, we also have some trails that are down by the riverside (pretty flat) and a couple that run along the ridge or through the orchards that don't require much skill or teeth clenching. We also have some great trail guides (Steve, Laura, and the gang from the Lost Jeepers) who are experts at providing instuction for those who need either advice on the actual trail driving/vehicle tweaks or just help picking a line to take when fording a river or tackling one of the more challenging trails (yes, we have some that are going to require and expert to drive that we won't be able to tackle unless its dry...).

John: We have a bunch of folks who are camping in the field next to us who use the "hayburning" variety of horsepower to get around. A few of them will be joing us for Saturday night's BBQ. So it sounds like a good plan you have since I know that we can find some folks for your wife to ride with as well...

Looking forward to seeing you all on the trails... :)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,

There are trails that the Long Easy can easily navigate, but if your wife likes the hayburners, you might wind up transferring to Charlottesville so she can go to Graves Mtn. more often. Make sure the generator works as some people seem to think they can run theirs all night long, and it's nice to have a 'counteroffer' noise maker to convince them otherwise. That, and the three million candle power searchlight to spot who it is! Ask Don about that!

CGarbee

Make sure the generator works as some people seem to think they can run theirs all night long, and it's nice to have a 'counteroffer' noise maker to convince them otherwise.

The three fields that I currently have "open" for us to use for camping total about 250 acres... I also have no problem telling somebody to turn off a loud generator at night (even the folks over the fence in the "horse" field...). Those that want a quiet evening after a long day of trailrides, BS'ing, parts swapping, and swimming, can enjoy thier rest... :)

But, yeah, if you need power to run the HVAC unit or coffee pot, bring a generator. The "current trees" have yet to be planted...

We Will Gladly Help Anyone To Get Thru The Trails. Are Hoping For A Great Turn Out This Year, We Really Enjoy Riding & Camping at Graves Mtn For The Rally. Cabell Always Has A Great Event. Hope To See You All There. Laura

CJ9/Granny

My new rig is almost finished. It's painted a shade of green, but that's about as close as it gets to matching the color-of-the-day. Cabell once told me he could tolerate square headlights so if the rest of you promise not to throw rocks at me I will be trying to make the trip up again this year. Who knows... an extra trail rig might even come in handy. :)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mentioned to Cabell that, due to the recent storm that blew through and messed up all the trees in the Eastern U.S., that it might behoove us to have one work weekend prior to the event, just to send folks into the woods with chain saws and make sure all the trails are good to go. If anyone wants to volunteer to help out, please PM me on this, I'll let you know the weekend when we get closer to the date.

Trails

We Are Going Up The 14& 15 Th Of This Month To Do Some Mapping We Will Be Checking On The Trails. If There Is Any Damage While We Are There We Will Clean It Up. Thanks For Wanting To Help. If We Need A Lot Of Help If There Is Damage I Will Post As Soon As I Get There. Laura

Trail Conditions

We Went Up To Graves To Do More GPs/ And Trail Damage , Very Little Damage On Graves Trails, We Couldnt Believe The Growth On The Trails That We Had Cut This Spring. Some Of The Coffee Trees Had 10 Foot Sprouts. We Spent Three Hours Cutting Our Way Thru Blakey Ridge. We Are Going To Try To Go Back Next Month To Cut Under growth & Spray Brush.

Past Weekend

Thats Ok Weve Been Right Busy Too But We Just Want To Make Sure That Everyone that Comes To The MV Rally At Graves Gets To Ride A Rideable Trail. Are You Going To PA This Weekend? We Will Be There. Talk To Ya Soon Have A Great Week Laura

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, thanks for all your hard work on the trails! Wish we could get our hands on some defoliant or Agent Orange to keep the weeds at bay. Sounds like they are growing as fast as you are cutting them....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks